Why does Linden Labs ban somebody all because they know you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Before I start this is sincerely about my friend and not me, I don't really care too much about myself in this regard but anyway.

A while back I had an avatar that was put on hold because I had an argument with somebody, I told that person that they were to either leave me alone or I'd report them to Linden Labs.  I never did report them because it's silly to such extremes, however they did report my account and it was put on hold (it's been longed resolved now though.)

However, for some bizarre reason, they permanently banned my girlfriend all because she's partnered to me.  And I can tell you right now she didn't do a damn thing wrong, she's never been abusive to anybody on that game or harassed people EVER.  Yet they banned her all because she was partnered to me.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is extremely unfair?  She refuses to even go near Second Life now because of what Linden Labs did to her.

She tried to tell them everything, answered all of their questions, etc. Then they turn around and tell her to stop sending tickets because they wont bother reading them.

If they checked into things, which they are supposed to do then they would have seen that she didn't even live in the same country as me and her billing information was hers.

It's just mean to ban somebody by association!

Is there anything that she can do to get her account back?  I've considered asking on her behalf since it was my fault that she got banned over a stupid argument.  Can she maybe appeal against it?  They did tell her to stop sending support tickets after all so I'm not sure.

Any help would be great because she's been on SL since 2006 and she used to create clothing but now she wont even make a new account because she despises what they did to her and I don't blame her, it was pretty cruel.

Whenever we get a thread like this on the forums, I always think we are only getting a really small part of the story. 

Linden Lab can ban whoever they choose to ban, and whether that's fair or not, there is not one thing anyone can do about it, except the individual who is banned can go through the appeals process.

Frankly, sometimes when I see the hideous way people treat each other in SL, I wonder why LL don't bring the ban-hammer down on a lot more people.

Tell your friend that being banned from SL is not the end of the world. There is always Inworldz, which is similar to SL. 

• Like 1

I agree, we're only getting a very small part of what sounds like a very long story.

LL, as with pretty much any site, reserves the right to ban anyone, at any time, for any reason. However, it's actually pretty darn rare to be permabanned, all things considered. It's hard to get even the people who deserve banning actually banned from SL because LL doesn't want to lose the potential income, or the numbers of how many users they have. Accounts are suspended, I'm sure, at least somewhat more frequently, but you kind of have to TRY to earn a permaban.

That's not to say that LL didn't make a mistake. It's possible that they banned the wrong account, that they recieved misinformation that they believed, or that someone else used your girlfriend's account for mischief; along with a number of other possible confusions. I seriously doubt that your girlfriend was banned just for being your partner, however, especially if you and LL got things straightened out.

If she's already been told not to send more support tickets, I imagine LL looked into the issue and resolved it to their own satisfaction, and made the decision to maintain the ban for their own reasons. It likely wouldn't do any good to submit more tickets. Depending how long it's been, she could certainly try, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are a lot of other things she could try, as others have mentioned. Second Life isn't the only virtual world out there.

I can understand that being banned without reason would put a pretty bitter taste in someone's mouth. Since we only have such a small, one-sided portion of the story, however, it's hard to say if it was without reason or not. I'm a bit of a skeptic, myself.

Shrouded Kytori wrote:

Yeh well believe what you wish, i don't have to tell you anything.

I'm done with this thread, it's people that make responses like them that i avoid on Second Life.

???

so what exactly were you hoping to achieve by your post

you got sympathy and a discussion of the linden account ban process

it seems you saying that you did something inworld that lead to your own account getting a ban. and that activity drew in your gf. she get a ban as well. you appeal and get reinstated. she appeal and don't

+

seems to me from what you said that this activity you both end up in has to do with money. some kinda use of payment method

is only 2 ways to get a permaban in SL. egregious greifing. and an activity that involve the use of someone else's payment method, knowingly or not

+

if unknowingly then have to jump through the linden hoops. you did. she didn't. so the ban stay in place until she do

is a process that you have to follow to get unbanned. linden never persuaded by verbal arguments in money cases. they want unequivocal RL proofs that the account holder is actual who they say they are. without it then the ban stays

they have to do this. so does every other providerof online services. they can get prosecuted RL il if they accept payments without having a robust RL process to deal with these things 

+

am sorry about what happen to your gf. but if she not provide the proofs and just verbal plead/argue her case then nothing will happen in getting her account restored

Unfortunantly LLs can ban for any reason. As a privately run system they have that right. That said, your right its not fair. A while back I had my main account frozen because I oed tier fees that I didnt know I oewd. So untill I paid I couldnt use my main. Have you tried contacting customer service? Has your partner tried contacting customer service. Whispers she can always make a new account ;).

"...

(Since the OP has left the thread, I will just say it: baloney.)"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah the OP did leave the thread but I bet he's still lurking :)  Like the vast majority of every thread I've read over the years like this, the entire subject (and limited, or made up, facts contribute) stinks to high heaven.  Linden Lab just does not ban indiscriminately..........in fact, the rarely ban at all.  It generally takes something illegal in the real world for LL to kick someone out permanently.  Things like money laundering, identity theft, stealing money via the use of an illegally obtained CC number, real life drug sales, pedophilia, stalking (not stalking some avatar, stalking as in a real life boy friend or girl friend physically stalking someone in real life).  Big stuff........LL just does not ban perma-ban for petty stuff (griefing, calling someone names, or arguing).

So, OP, I know you are reading, I'm telling you that your sob story is total BS.  It's probably best you are remaining silent becuase I have a lot more to say if you want to jump back in.  :)

I vote it is baloney too.  You don't get banned just for being someone's partner.  If that was the case she would have been reinstated when you were.

She obviously did something else to earn the ban.  If she admitted it to you is another story.  But if not you are naive to accept her explanation.

I have had ppl go through and copy 9 tenths of my store and put it on the MP and open an inworld store. I have ppl copy my best selling kitchens and put them on the MP in their store full perm. Many many times over. Do these lose their stores? Nooooo. Do they lose their accounts? Noooooo.

So yes, to get banned you have to do something besides being a criminal or being someone's partner. But I see over and over here in these forums, people swallow the biggest whoppers without blinking an eye, just because they want to.

can sometimes be another explanation behind these stories

+

sometimes a partner can be overbearing. like controlling. specially if they been giving you money. like they think they own you. bought and paid for

when this happens then the person often just delete their account and start over with a new life. way away from that partner who at the start of relationship seemed like a nice person

+

can also go the other way as well. like a predatory person faking the whole helpless poor me damsel routine. this person can sometimes have 5 or 6 on the go at same time. take as much they can and move on to next victims. blame it on the lindens as they go. by fake some story about account ban. when they actual delete it themself

Shrouded Kytori wrote:

Yeh well believe what you wish, i don't have to tell you anything.

I'm done with this thread, it's people that make responses like them that i avoid on Second Life.

Thanks for the laugh - Welcome to the Human Race, the Internet and in particular .... Welcome to the forum. Grow a thicker skin and a bit more maturity and MAYBE you'll last a while here and in Second Life. Until then?

Don't post a topic if you don't want to deal with the responses.

if Linden Lab can ban for any reason, being partnered to him is a reason, so is possible that it was for that reason. there are some occasions that Linden Lab may ban by association, for example members of the same group, if i recall right, like it happened with Woodbury University, it was believed many of them were griefers, so all the group got affected.

"Whenever we get a thread like this on the forums, I always think we are only getting a really small part of the story."

Undoubtedly. There's no way one would have action taken solely because one was someone's partner.  I suspect we are not being told the full story.....or a revised version of it.

Verena Vuckovic wrote:

"
Whenever we get a thread like this on the forums, I always think we are only getting a really small part of the story."

Undoubtedly. There's no way one would have action taken
solely
because one was someone's partner.  I suspect we are not being told the full story.....or a revised version of it.

And to go a step further, a story like this makes me think that one partner is not getting the full story from the other one. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.