different fonts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can't really write in cursive or other fonts.  What your seeing is people using unicode characters that you copy and paste into the display name.  There are notecards available that have them and web sites where you can obtain the characters on them. 

Keep in mind that people  have to be able to read your name.  I see so many people that try to get fancy using unicode with the result that you don't have any idea what their name is.  If your keeping the  same name its not a big deal, but if you are going to change it, and people can't read it, they will just call you by your user name, which defeats the purpose of it.  Also people have a choice if they can see a Display name or not on your tag.  Some people turn viewing display names off because it annoys them trying to read unreadable names in unicode.

• Like 2

its not different fonts. SL has no font support. they are just typing special unicode characters.

all fonts use unicode & potentially depending on the codepage support of the font have tens of thousands of special characters!

the easiest way to access these is google 'unicode' there are page tables on the net with all possibly available symbols.

these links may be to your liking:

http://panmental.de/symbols/info.htm

http://www.mandaliet.com/cursive.php

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Muchas gracias a todos por su aporte y tendré en cuenta todo, además de volver a hacer una pregunta usar los otros idiomas que hablo( ingles y ruso)

Gracias a todos!!

Many thanks to all for your contribution and I will take into account everything, in addition to asking a question again use the other languages I speak (English and Russian)

Thank you all!!

19 minutes ago, zandrexx said:

And what does that have to do with the question?

I think they were looking for different ways to display their name in their profile..

I just thought i would show them one of the possibilities.

Unless they may have been talking about where their account name actually goes..Then that probably wouldn't work..

Anywhere else they can type it,Yea.

• Like 1

Just now, zandrexx said:

Yes, if you are right I look for the way to use my creativity in my name shown in SL thanks for your contribution

I wasn't even looking at your post,but the OP's..

I didn't realize you necroed a post from 2012 until just now..

lol

31 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

So this all brings up a question for me, can a person copy and paste directly from Google translate and get foreign characters in the Display name?

Not totally.  I first did it for an alt using using the tilde over the n in Spanish and that displayed fine.  I then tried just translating a 'My name'  to Amharic, resulting in የእኔን ስም but that just displays as some empty boxes inworld:

OddCharactersTest.jpg.7fa0c8a09dfd7ef4ca87e300f2a68b09.jpg

• Like 1

Not that it will matter since no one will read this and since the thread was started ages ago, but remember that many of these special characters are letters in another language, and look absolutely ridiculous to those who can read them.

That cute slanted smiley face everyone uses? This one ツ? It's a letter in Japanese. Every time someone uses it, I think they're sneezing, or are an idiot.

9 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Not that it will matter since no one will read this and since the thread was started ages ago, but remember that many of these special characters are letters in another language, and look absolutely ridiculous to those who can read them.

That cute slanted smiley face everyone uses? This one ツ? It's a letter in Japanese. Every time someone uses it, I think they're sneezing, or are an idiot.

ニャーニャー !!  Don't hate on people using Shi (I use it as a smile), X D  is 2 letters and is much the same sort of thing in English, as is : P, although that's one punctuation and one letter.

ははははははははは

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not totally.  I first did it for an alt using using the tilde over the n in Spanish and that displayed fine.  I then tried just translating a 'My name'  to Amharic, resulting in የእኔን ስም but that just displays as some empty boxes inworld:

OddCharactersTest.jpg.7fa0c8a09dfd7ef4ca87e300f2a68b09.jpg

Yay for the noto font though, change to it in preferences, and you will see them.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2012 at 10:57 PM, Amethyst Jetaime said:

Keep in mind that people  have to be able to read your name.

My heroine! I get SO frustrated when I'm working at the club and I WANT to greet a guest properly - but their name is "Cutsie-Illegible".  So I *try* and occasionally they get miffed when I get their illegible name wrong.....  in  my defense, I really thought that guys name was P33N1z......

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.