this is now become a joke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

sorry for moaning but really LL's you need to get your act together, its now becoming a joke, every day something in SL does not work, or is overloaded or something, today I cannot upload due to the comman statement something about " servers not working"   my lag meter, is over blown red, which ever sim I go to. I trying to put on clothes ( gray in colour)

I spend my time pulling my hair out than playing this damm game. you must either sort this out, invest in new servers or what ever it takes to get SL back to a fit state of play,   I pay for this privilage , give me some value for money

There are many reasons why you may be experiencing issues, not all of them under the absolute control of LL.  Did you check the GRID status on your Dashboard?  In addition to rolling restarts on RC servers, there is inventory maintenance going on as well as some asset server errors.  Keep an eye out for updates on that page. 

True. Sometimes I wonder if it was not better in the old days, when they just shutted down SL for a half a day at least. 

It was less confusing for people. Not that I find the current way of upgrading and such confusing, I do visit my dashboard and the blogs. But it seems a lot of people don't so they don't really know what is going on behind the scenes. Too bad that most of the time people are pointing their finger to LL.

Oh, I know about at least one advantage of SL being offline on schedule. That was THE time to do some RL stuff that otherwise should be postponed. :smileyvery-happy:

As I agree upgrades are needed, it seems then maybe they should be display in big writing on the splash screen what is going down but more importantly what would be effected,the biggest problem sometimes " is it me or SL" knowing what what is effected would go a long way, as for Dilbert Dilweg saying point the finger at LL, who should be point it too?, if my 

viewer,pc,everthing works in sl one day then the next it does not and I have not touched nothing  then it would be logical that its the LL works.

All I saying I am a paying customer and this does need to be adressed too many problems too many times

It was me about the pointing finger, was not specificcaly talking about you, far from. You make a good point. Maybe it should be on the splashscreen.

However i never experience many problems. For me SL is pretty reliable. 

And sure, if you pay for something you want it delivered, just as i do.

There is no such thing as 100% uptime in the tech industry, Every BIG tech company has problems.  LL is the same, they have database failures, servers go down,  parts of the network go down.   So remember it's not always going to work 100% all of the time,  if that was the case everybody in the industry would be harking on LL's door to know how they did it.  

Well they know this is an ongoing problem for updates. When they make their weekly posts on the grid status they all clearly say

[postED 6:31am PDT, 18 April 2012] Please save all builds and refrain from rezzing no copy objects or making inworld L$ transactions.

I usually wait till evening when things have smoothed out to get work done on these days,,, It also helps knowing what type of region you are on. That will determine which day is up for your type of region...  But either way. Rolling restarts can be hard on the servers when regions coming up . A lot of information being poled from the main servers..

greek Wingtips wrote:

every day something in SL does not work

It's always been that way and we've never been LL, just residents.

Your important point though is true - I've never seen a day in SL when everyone was happy that everything was working properly and I don't expect I ever will.  Partly it's because so much of SL was only poorly or partially implemented (boo!), partly it's because LL keep giving us new features (hooray!), but mostly it's because SL was never *planned* to be like it is now, or possibly like anything.  "SL" is layers and layers of patches, fixes and add-ons.  Then, of course, there are all the people trying to run it on any equipment from a steam wrist-phone upwards.

It's an impossible thing to maintain!

Six Igaly wrote:

Oh, I know about at least one advantage of SL being offline on schedule. That was THE time to do some RL stuff that otherwise should be postponed. :smileyvery-happy:

I remember when time came near for the announced re-opening of the grid, I was ready at my keyboard, eagerly waiting and checking every five minutes, when, oh when will the grid open again?

Computer.gifGrid open yet?

Then it often happened that I was a tad bit too late. :matte-motes-crying:

When the grid did open there were thousands and thousands of people trying to log in at the same time. The result was that it took forever to log in. Wait again... :smileytongue:

greek Wingtips wrote:

As I agree upgrades are needed, it seems then
maybe they should be display in big writing on the splash screen
what is going down but more importantly what would be effected,the biggest problem sometimes " is it me or SL" knowing what what is effected would go a long way, as for Dilbert Dilweg saying point the finger at LL, who should be point it too?, 

The Firestorm viewer does post the latest three postings from the Grid Status page.  V3 does not.  Of course, you could log into your Dashboard before launching your viewer each day to see what is scheduled or what arose unexpectedly.

Coby Foden wrote:

I remember when time came near for the announced re-opening of the grid, I was ready at my keyboard, eagerly waiting and checking every five minutes, when, oh when will the grid open again?

For me, the game was to get back in when as few people as possible had got in. My record was 12 logins before me :)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

greek Wingtips wrote:

every day something in SL does not work

It's always been that way and we've never been LL, just residents.

Your important point though is true - I've never seen a day in SL when everyone was happy that everything was working properly and I don't expect I ever will.  Partly it's because so much of SL was only poorly or partially implemented (boo!), partly it's because LL keep giving us new features (hooray!), but mostly it's because SL was never *planned* to be like it is now, or possibly like anything.  "SL" is layers and layers of patches, fixes and add-ons.  Then, of course, there are all the people trying to run it on any equipment from a steam wrist-phone upwards.

It's an impossible thing to maintain!

I don't know if SL is poorly implemented. Is suspect that like most complex and relatively old systems parts of it are of highly varying quality.

But overall you're spot on. It's a massively complex environment of hardware and software, and any such is impossible to have fully stable with even close to 100% uptime.

I work on such professionally, and we MUST retain near 100% uptime as public safety is involved (things go down, people die, real people). The cost is prohibitive for most purposes.

For such, you rely on full duplication of everything, multiple layers of failover, hot and cold standby environments which are exact copies of your entire infrastructure, multiple shifts of workers with overlapping schedules to keep the systems fully manned 24/7 with backups on call for every single person in case someone calls in sick, etc. etc.

Were LL to implement that, the cost of running SL would rise 10 fold most likely.

greek Wingtips wrote:

All I saying I am a paying customer and this does need to be adressed too many problems too many times

First off, they do rolling restarts on wednesdays.. every wednesday. They also had asset server issues on the 18th.

I have this link up at all times on Firefox. http://status.secondlifegrid.net/category/slgridstatus/

Saves hours of headaches.

Could you clear up a point for me though. DO you mean you are a premium member or that you buy $L? 99.9% of us Pay in some way in SL. If you consider it a game, that may be part of the problem. Online video games rarely lag or have issues. SL is not an online video game.

greek Wingtips wrote:

sorry for moaning but really LL's you need to get your act together, its now becoming a joke, every day something in SL does not work, or is overloaded or something, today I cannot upload due to the comman statement something about " servers not working"   my lag meter, is over blown red, which ever sim I go to. I trying to put on clothes ( gray in colour)

I spend my time pulling my hair out than playing this damm game. you must either sort this out, invest in new servers or what ever it takes to get SL back to a fit state of play,   I pay for this privilage , give me some value for money

Every day something in RL doesn't work, too. Often many things don't work. Right now Interstate 80 (a major east-west highway in the US; goes coast-to-coast) is closed in both directions in California between Sacramento and San Francisco. At noon. On a Friday which happens to be our warmest day of the year so far. And it's no fault of the highway maintenance department: there's a police manhunt going on. Stuff happens.

this is actually just a linden laziness issue, though speaking poorly of them and mentioning

their practices will surely get me removed from here, they are however working under poor conditions, and from what ive experienced and know, a matter of trying to get the most money without spending as much back. Since second life has became open sourced many companies have taken it and made better second lifes that are overall far superior, but this one remains much more popular.

the most noticable one that actually turned it into an actual functioning game, Blue Mars where it actually works for the "relaxing" people claim to do which instead i see all the nothing people do if not pent up sexual frustration.

of course player created content requires you to request for a license and instead of prims wants you to use 3D modeling programs and upload sculpts and meshes.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Meh. Still a walk in the park compared to October 2007. 

What a nightmare that was.  Like three days to get the grid back up to some semblance of normal.

Linden Lab should have given us all shirts emblazoned with "I Survived The Great Crash Of 2007"

Marianne McCann wrote:

was that the big ghosting where people's agents were trapped online but they were really offline?

like hours and hours and hours of not logging out..till people figured out  they could relog to other sims?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

What a nightmare that was.  Like three days to get the grid back up to some semblance of normal.

Linden Lab should have given us all shirts emblazoned with "I Survived The Great Crash Of 2007"

Sadly, the shirt would say MISSING IMAGE

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

was that the big ghosting where people's agents were trapped online but they were really offline?

like hours and hours and hours of not logging out..till people figured out  they could relog to other sims?

Was when everyone's bodies would end up with "Missing Image" all over it from time to time. When the weekly Wednesday outage had to be rolled back every week, and reinstalled, and then re-reinstalled on Thursday, and then the griefers would take the frid down from Friday into Sunday. Oh, and haveing 12000 people on the grid would crash it. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.