Naughty, naughty.........I wonder if LL knows about this.

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was looking for stuff related to Second Life on Google and I noticed an entry headed '2nd Life' which related to a rival virtual world.   I wonder if Linden Lab are aware of this trick.  If you type in 2nd Life, as written here, on Google, the first entry is a link to this inferior rival.

Conifer Dada wrote:

I think it would take a very disastrous experience in SL to make me defect to that game - I think I did try it once, just out of curiosity.  I'm too attached to my normal-sized head to want to change it for an oversized one!

same here, plus the fact that 90% of the conversations I got into there were guys who barely spoke english looking for cybersex

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Here is the list of
by LL.  Unless "2nd" and "Second" are synonomous in trademark law, there is seemingly no infringment, although the intent is obvious.  I suppose anything can be challenged.

The US standard is whether there is a likelihood of confusion to consumers based upon similarity or dissimilarity of the marks in their entireties as to appearance, sound, connotation and commercial impression and how similar the services and/or goods are. See TMEP Section 1207.01 and cases cited therein.

Second Life and 2nd Life would almost certainly be considered to create a likelihood of confusion between Second Life and IMVU. 

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Surely there's litigation in the works about that one? That's one hell of a brash move by whatever the other thing is.

I'm wondering if this is a trademark violation actually... 2nd life vs. secondlife... Probably. They'd argue its different words, but its in the same language, to the same market, has the same meaning in the target language, and the same pronounciation.

So you have to wonder what IMVU's legal team / marketing team was thinking...

- Which is how I end up back in my 'does somebody own big chunks of both companies?' notion.

EDIT: Cut out my snarky bit. Especially after seeing the post from a linden here thanking people for catching IMVU.

Now I guess its time to call out some legal smackdown.

Meh... had a look at IMVU and I'm not impressed. Too much data scraping and they require registration before you can create content. People can piss and moan all they want about SL, but any freebie account can walk right in and get started making stuff and sell it no questions asked. People don't realise how lucky they are sometimes.

I guess the only good thing about IMVU is that, by the look of things, it can run quite happily on low-end computers. So I can see the appeal there even if the graphics have hideous aliasing. IMVU are being very cheeky positioning their adverts next to [and over] content relating to SL. That's as close as you can get to mugging.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4555 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.