Linden Lab is building a NEW virtual world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Into It with a Drink & Popcorn.jpg

I'm loving the current geo-political geography lesson.

BTW, A lot of us "Yanks" understand the historical importance of and the sovereignty of the Holy See versus the geographic boundaries of Vatican City which is a relatively new entity. Just saying. 

Yeah, I heard that in WWII a bunch of Marines wanted to storm it from amphibious landing craft - because they had confused Rome with Venice.

They were only stopped from making fools of themselves by a wiseguy corporal from Santa Monica who thought he knew the difference.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LlazarusLlong wrote:

[Greenland is bigger than Australia, and is the largest island on Earth; do you know what the largest island was before the Vikings discovered Greenland? It was still Greenland.]

Australia is more than three times the size of Greenland. Greenland only gets the title of largest island because mainland Australia is considered to be a continent rather than an island. 

Kelli May wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

[Greenland is bigger than Austria, and is the largest island on Earth; do you know what the largest island was before the Vikings discovered Greenland? It was still Greenland.]

Australia is more than three times the size of Greenland. Greenland only gets the title of largest island because mainland Australia is considered to be a continent rather than an island. 

Oh yeah? Next you'll be telling me that Pluto isn't a planet . . .

LlazarusLlong wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Into It with a Drink & Popcorn.jpg

I'm loving the current geo-political geography lesson.

BTW, A lot of us "Yanks" understand the historical importance of and the sovereignty of the Holy See versus the geographic boundaries of Vatican City which is a relatively new entity. Just saying. 

Yeah, I heard that in WWII a bunch of Marines wanted to storm it from amphibious landing craft - because they had confused Rome with Venice.

They were only stopped from making fools of themselves by a wiseguy corporal from Santa Monica who thought he knew the difference.

I had no idea that you were that old LLazarus........You must be the real thing!

I can't believe that you fell for that silly Story/Joke. Even in the 40's our Marines and especially the fiercely independent Merchant Marines [pun intended] read maps rather well, something that today requires batteries and a GPS Unit.

Of course you know that we had less that 6000 Marines involved directly in the Atlantic, Europe and Africa campaigns of WWII. The USMC was used almost exclusively in the Pacific Theatre of WWII which was very in keeping with their training and charter. That said, the USMC was prominently involved in training Army troops for the D-day landings. The most direct activity of the USMC in the Europe Theatre was in protecting the coast of Iceland which was ended in 1942 as they were reassigned to Pacific Theatre.

In any case confusing Venice as Rome would take a special kind of stupid. The membership of the USMC was very Catholic back in those days and a Parochial as well as Public School education included a great understanding of geography unlike some of the BS being taught these days..

Remind me what movie you saw that scene in?

P.S. KML is a Proud Supporter of the USMC and a bit of a Historian.

• 3 months later...

My views about the SL2 and how i see things going.

As a designer and player i'm very much looking forward to the SL2.0. It's exciting and absolutely have no fears about having an 'empty' inventory, new technologies is what makes the world progress! In fact my 'dream' is to get rid of all the mesh bodies, body parts, and heads appliers as a skin designer this became a nightmare. The time on releasing a skin has tripled due to these appliers, so I believe the Avatar in SL2 be having defined fingers and toes and be with less edges (more polys) and its absolutely fine that it will have a completely different UV then from SL1, and i acknowledge that would need a lot of work doing everything from scratch but it will be worth it !  

No Third party viewers, in my view this be a measure against copybotting which been a major issue for sl and mostly creators that ended up with their hard work given away or even resold on MP. I am using firestorm but I’m willing to accommodate to the new viewer if this is a tool against copybotting.

Meshes importing be no problem as far as i read so if you invested alot of money in them (bought full perm) and TOS does not allow you to use them in SL2 that's fine, SL1 be still working you do not loose anything, ok so don't cry about this nonsense the SL2 avies be having different rig anyways so only original mesh makers be having no prob on using their own meshes re-rigging if needed and stuff be even easier i assume since the avie will have more bones points that will make the sizes thing poof so creators probably will have to make just ONE-TWO sizes that will fit every one flat or slim! That will make meshing more efficient and the time used on rigging all sizes be instead used on creating NEW content which means the market be pretty fast filled with lots of new options (outfits, stuff) in short time span :) 

Calling out on people to not 'stagnate' and not hold on past and better think about progressing future and new possibilities that will open New SL. View it like ...learning and exploring the new world be a pleasant challenge! Though SL2 be optional no one will force you to move/play to SL2, people just breath deep, pat your fears but careful don't let them eat you lol :D

P.S. People stop writing (spamming) unrelated to subject posts this is disrespectful to fellow residents that do really wish to follow and read subject only matters. Ty

Ele Brandi wrote:

My views about the SL2 and how i see things going.

As a designer and player i'm very much looking forward to the SL2.0. It's exciting and absolutely have no fears about having an 'empty' inventory, new technologies is what makes the world progress! In fact my 'dream' is to get rid of all the mesh bodies, body parts, and heads appliers as a skin designer this became a nightmare. The time on releasing a skin has tripled due to these appliers, so I believe the Avatar in SL2 be having defined fingers and toes and be with less edges (more polys) and its absolutely fine that it will have a completely different UV then from SL1, and i acknowledge that would need a lot of work doing everything from scratch but it will be worth it !  

No Third party viewers, in my view this be a measure against copybotting which been a major issue for sl and mostly creators that ended up with their hard work given away or even resold on MP. I am using firestorm but I’m willing to accommodate to the new viewer if this

is a tool against copybotting.

Meshes importing be no problem as far as i read so if you invested alot of money in them (bought full perm) and TOS does not allow you to use them in SL2 that's fine, SL1 be still working you do not loose anything, ok so don't cry about this nonsense the SL2 avies be having different rig anyways so only original mesh makers be having no prob on using their own meshes re-rigging if needed and stuff be even easier i assume since the avie will have more bones points that will make the sizes thing poof so creators probably will have to make just ONE-TWO sizes that will fit every one flat or slim! That will make meshing more efficient and the time used on rigging all sizes be instead used on creating NEW content which means the market be pretty fast filled with lots of new options (outfits, stuff) in short time span
:)

Calling out on people to not 'stagnate' and not hold on past and better think about progressing

future and new possibilities that will open

New SL. View it like ...learning and exploring the new world be a pleasant challenge! Though

SL2 be optional no one will force you to move/play to SL2, people just breath deep, pat your fears but careful don't let them eat you lol 
:D

P.S. People stop writing (spamming) unrelated to subject posts this is disrespectful to fellow residents that do really wish to follow and read subject only matters. Ty

You assume quite a bit here.. LL has said very very little about the new platform (speaking of, I coined the phrase SL2.0 and would like my payment for your use of it) aside from money, names and friends lists they have yet to say anything.

Since you want it to be LL viewer only, I hope you don't like new features as those come primarily from TPVs.

Have you ever  rigged a mesh? How easy do you think it will be to rig a mesh to a completely new skeleton? Why would you think the new platform would have such awesome bodies that mesh magically fits on every size? Since when has LL done anything to SL that works properly?

If you don't want to read off subject posts, don't read them.. It's very simple really.

Ele Brandi wrote:

<snip>

No Third party viewers, in my view this be a measure against copybotting which been a major issue for sl and mostly creators that ended up with their hard work given away or even resold on MP. I am using firestorm but I’m willing to accommodate to the new viewer if this

is a tool against copybotting.

</snip>

You do know that Copybot happened before the Viewer was made open source and the TPV's?

You are barking up the wrong tree with this comment.

Right; to have any real effect on illicit copying, viewing would need to be exclusively through Server Side Rendering, with no object geometry delivered to the viewer. That's not going to happen.

Also, lacking an open source viewer need not eliminate user-generated innovation if, as promised, the closed-source viewer exposes the right APIs for extensions and skinning. In practice, SL TPVs are quite limited in scope, all sharing an overwhelming share of code with each other and the Linden viewer, with most differences only fairly cosmetic add-ons. Over the years there have been a few exceptions to this (I'm particularly thinking of the Materials functionality which was largely contributed by a third party), but really very few such sweeping changes that delved so deeply into the heart of the viewer code.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I don't know much about this new game world, only what I have read and discussed with individules.
Considering the entertainment value, interactivity and creativity Second Life has given it's residents,
I'm looking forward to this new adventure. Been into this stuff since ActiveWorld & CyberTown, vrml days.

I hope they think about the average person's budget in this new world, SL was always a bit over priced to own land.
Paying out a grand to put your name on a simulator, before your 300 per month subscription.. 
Considering the price of virtual real estate in open sim worlds, SL could have been a bit cheaper to own virtual land.

Something I've always thought about was being able to access an online world without the need to download a client.
For example, you would have your own web site or page with info about your club/store/business/world whatever.
Users would log in to your page and be able to access your world without downloading any game client.
The world wide web has instant access to your world creations via their web browser, social media sites etc.

If you built say an island club scene for example, and it gets popular, possibly the best way you could represent your
creation to the public is through your own website, instant access, no downloads, visiting this place to get to your place etc.

If anyone ever visited CloudParty, the idea behind it was cool at least, just log in and you're immersed in 3D.

Anyway, can't wait to explore the new world, test the tools and get creative! hopefully soon.

I wish Linden Lab every success with the new virtual world. Ironically, the more realistic and impressive a virtual world is, the less likely it is to become ( as SL has tended to be ) just a glorified 3D dating agency. The more people are able to immerse themselves in a more realistic other world...the less likely they are to want to simply 'augment' this one. Perhaps the new SL will become what the concept was always supposed to be...with the 'Second' bit of SL having some genuine meaning.

"Something I've always thought about was being able to access an online world without the need to download a client."

You can ( or at least could ) do this with SL  I distinctly remember my partner doing this a few years back. I am not sure if this functionality still exists, or was one of those viewer methods ultimately blocked by LL.

If you're talking about HiFi I was testing the beta viewer earlier this year, wasn't impressed, was very basic.
Obviously it's still in its early stages I know, but my system is not even compatable with that game already.
I talk to a few mates about it that were in CloudParty then went to HiFi when the beta viewer was released.
Maybe it does look a lot better than it did for me I dunno, might try it again when i get my toshiba back this week.

Yes, ity's early alpha. It looks already better, depends where you look. It's still alpha so it can always look better. but that's with SL and SanSar the same. only people start to make conclusions because the see something that's not finished. That's why sadly LL keep sansar hidden, and that's more annoying then see something that is not finsihed.

still like SanSar work in progress. . But if you cannot run HiFi. I don't expect you can run SanSar with the hardware you have.

I disagree in many parts:

1) Yes 300 $ are relaly too much for a full sim, a full sim would be good with a cost of 150 $ month and a homestead not more of 50$, this would help makers, and push people to have houses. In passat fee was less expansive respect now for both sims.

2) Linden have not gain in In World business, they gain in Marketplace selling and advertising and  Linden exchange. So they search in sim fee the gain.

3) I have 400 products in Mp and there is 1/3 of my selling but 2/3 of total is always made in InWorld store, I have firends that search in MP and also me but  if I'm more interested to buy all in MP for save time they prefere going in inworld store to see better na try products. As I prefere use always cam to explore theyu prefere run or walk near all panel. I dunno if the new world will be only MP selling but I think this will be not. Remember that also in RL we are moving a lot of business in ecommerce.

4) I agree that need to move people to more creativity and to have more space for his virtual life, With a sim, also if commercial I have a skybox for persona use.

5) I not agree with your idea of premium home, are little but 117 prims for you, in mainland with 512 prims you need to rex your home and spend part of 117 prims for that. Can be Linden can do more addind more new home and more prims but for  a lot of people that want only a place to rez box with products, change avatar or to set home is good. 

a full sim would be good with a cost of 150 $ month and a homestead not more of 50$,

Wow, 150$ / month for full sim ? that's heavy overpriced. A full sim neeed to stay below 50.01$ and still that is a bit expensive. but a comparable price with a good server you can rent. 40$ is especially high if Linden Lab is sharing the server with other sims.

I would say 25$ for a full sim is really the max. as a good price. you can rent a 4 core dedicated server here for 35 euro. in case you would run opensim as example.

For sansar Linden Lab oneday wrote soemthing about web hosting prices. That would mean it need to be below or around 10$ for a big piece of land. Better would be if Linden Lab move out of the expensive usa. then the can drop prices more.

Something to keep in mind is that it takes more than one lowly machine to run something like SL. It takes hundreds of machines to make up one server component and SL uses several components like the login server, space sever, data server (asset server), and a few others. Add to that it takes a staff to monitor each component 24/7 and an offsite bank of servers to store all the data in case the component has a total system failure. This too needs staff to monitor it 24/7. So you can see how it can cost much more than 35 euros to run SL.

LL does rent some of the component servers, such as SLVoice server, in order to reduce manpower and equipment maintenance costs. I don’t have any facts as to how much it actually costs to run a region, but let’s assume that LL wishes to double their investment on each to make their profit margin with a cost of $150.00 to maintain a region per month. It would make sense to lower the price from $300.00 a month to $200.00 a month and lease out twice as many regions. Of course, if they did attempt this and it fell flat on its face it would be disastrous to the company.   

• 2 weeks later...

What surprises me in the 216 pages of posts on the topic of a new platform just how many ignored Ebbe Linden’s words in the very first post. He says “Does this mean we’re giving up on Second Life? Absolutely not. It is thanks to the Second Life community that our virtual world today is without question the best there is, and after 11 years we certainly have no intention of abandoning our users nor the virtual world they continually fill with their astounding creativity. Second Life has many years ahead of it, and in addition to improvements and new developments specifically for Second Life, we think that much of the work we do for the next generation project will also be beneficial for Second Life”. Why are so many in a panic over this? If you don’t like the concept of a far superior platform to use, stay with the original! No one is being forced to move to the new platform period.

All Linden Lab is attempting to accomplish is to bring in a new platform that will bring the technologies out of the 1990’s. Sure the current SL can have features added and improved upon, but it is still built on a base that is 15 years old. Just like any other technology, software design and operation has changed over the years. One thing that works well is often replaced by something that works better and in turn that is replaced by something better still. The problem is that there is a point in changes like this that the base platform must be rebuilt from scratch in the latest methods. A good example of this is with XP being replaced mostly because the base could not be made secure without a total rebuild. Linden Lab has already stated many times that your account can be transferred (without inventory) to the new platform. The inventory won’t be able to be transferred only because all current inventory is based on ancient technology.

For those that love the graphics and game play in Frogger, more power to you, but I’d rather see the graphics and physics of modern games. For those that like the current SL and the limitations from technology go with it, again more power to you. Myself personally, I look forward to less lag, faster and more complete rezzing, and a less cartoon looking virtual world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.