How closely do you resemble your avatar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's always fun and interesting to see what people look like behind the screen; behind their ideal anonymous and virtual avatars.

Do you more closely resemble yourself or your alter ego?  Why do you look the way you do in SL?

I'm collecting self portraits/photographs of people and their avatars for a class photography and documentary project!

Need a present picture taken of you with web cam and a brief background, no demographics/personal contact info of course! ... And permission for a 2min photo shoot in SL!   

Is it.? I prefer to remain in blissful ignorance of how anyone looks behind their avatars. I've learned to appreciate my Second Life friends by inworld experiences and chats over the years, not by knowing what they look like in RL but good luck with your project. I suspect few volunteers but who knows.

I couldn't care less about RL pictures of people with the exception of a few very close friends I've known in SL for years that I feel as close to as my RL friends.  Even then I never ask them to see one.  The only ones i've seen have been volunteered or i've seen their RL pics posted on other interenet sites under their RL names.

Its always been my experience when out and about, that people that drop unsolicited RL pictures on you are always the ones that shouldn't, because it ruins the fantasy! :smileyvery-happy:  I don't really trust any pictures in the 1st life tabs anyway as being real, as i've seen to many that are just internet rip offs - even those that appear to be taken by a web cam.

My avatar is as much a copy of RL me as I could manage.

If I could I'd jump into a huge scanner to turn my avatar in an exact copy.

Never really thought about it, just never felt the need to be someone else or look differently and enjoyed trying to make an avatar look like me.

Whenever someone asks about our avatars I wonder why it is assumed that most people only use an avatar. As far as I know, there are many residents who change our avatar (animal, human, object, gender, character ...) in the circumstances :)

Just my 2 cents.

PS. To the OP: my RL image is only for RL, but luck with your project.

I tried, once, to make an avatar that looked 'just like me'. It creeped me out, seeing it on the screen, and I hardly ever use the alt that I did that with. I have multiple accounts and virtually every one of my accounts has multiple, often radically different appearances, and except for that one form for that one alt, none of them look like the real me.

UsernamexPi wrote:

It's always fun and interesting to see what people look like behind the screen; behind their ideal anonymous and virtual avatars.

Do you more closely resemble yourself or your alter ego?  Why do you look the way you do in SL?

I'm collecting self portraits/photographs of people and their avatars for a class photography and documentary project!

Need a present picture taken of you with web cam and a brief background, no demographics/personal contact info of course! ... And permission for a 2min photo shoot in SL!   

Before anyone gives you any RL info there are a few questions to be answered.

1 What school do you attend?

2 What is the Teachers/ Professors name?

3 What are you going to do with this info after your "project" is done?

4 I dont have a web cam.. is a camera ok?

This is your first post in this forum - are you doing this incognito or are you just new to this forum?  New to sl?

IMO you are asking people for very personal info - JMO of course.  Some may not mind revealing themselves to a stranger but others are going to be very suspicious.

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

" It came to
me
, my own, my love... my... preciousssss."  :robotindifferent:

Although Rob is too modest to admit it, his avatar doesn't do his RL self justice. His RL kneecaps (I'd mention his ankles, but I'd start hyperventilating) have a patina that SL can't quite capture. And the way he glows in the dark can't be replicated by any combination of local lights, shine or glow.

Rob is self-made in both worlds and it shows.

Light hearted Cthuhlu mythos aside, I suspect those of the herd who are actually like the RL pics of models in many profiles will be delighted to comply with your request, but those of us who look like I do when I get out of bed in the morning will pale at the thought of inflicting such on other innocent residents. :matte-motes-grin:

In addition, I am of the opinion it is nice to be able to choose any avatar and inhabit it with our personality, and make that the main focus of communication when we meet in SL, whereas in RL many people judge others purely by their looks first and foremost.

Sorry OP but you'll have noticed that your question doesn't really make sense in a virtual world where people can as easily change species/genre/entirely as they can change clothes.

SO the big question is: do you more closely resemble a) a schoolkid who can't be bothered to research the first thing about their subject, or b) yet another college student that wants to get a free degree by making all of us do the work or c) someone who might actually make a contribution to the virtual world and that we'd quite like really if we got a chance to know them?

(Unfortunately I suspect that the only reason you're here is to get the class work done so we probably won't ever hear from you again).

UsernamexPi wrote:

You first, single-post-OP...since you find it all so fun.

Part of the thrill of VR, of online blogging, etc, is the social anonymity, right?   (...So I wasn’t even expecting that anyone would respond to this request. If you wouldn’t do it in RL, why in SL, i know.)  

Of course SL is used for many other reasons outside of serving as an epic escapist fantasy - a place where your actions and first impression appearances have little or no consequences.  It’s not all about the looks and communicating with people who don’t have to know your past.  

Still, it is mostly the social issues surrounding virtual reality/SL that keep many people who have never tried it, out.  It still owns that stereotype of being a place that people use to replace, rather than aid, reality with - a place for a 40 yr old pedifile claiming to be a 15 year old boy, video game junkies who never shower, etc. The list of insults could go on.  

There’s a series of images taken by a photographer/guy by the name of Robbie Cooper.    (http://www.robbiecooper.org/small.html) Yes, judging by only a picture of someone’s face is pretty judgmental and biased.  But perhaps not all judgements are “racist”?

At least it opens up a conversation.  

Even if collecting photos of people serves no utilitarian purpose, making a statement/starting a conversation is always a start I hope.

I am an undergrad student at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Doing a documentary project for a Digital Photography class. 

Yes - I hope that other people will help with, not do my homework for me.  This is homework and 20cent type classes tend to function like a rigid system where productivity is determined partly by how fast you can meet a deadline.  This is exactly why I don’t ever meet deadlines. Assignment, critique, and repeat.   Apologies apologies! My last post was really obnoxious!

Yes, I am an amateur and SL first timer.  I can barely walk in a straight line.  But I promise to learn. 

:-)!
The way my avatar looks to me right now:

slprofile_1.jpg

This is what it looked like yesterday, my first day in a place that was off limits; “i wasn’t old enough to be there yet”: slprofile_1.jpg

Anyone feel like sharing pictures of their own avatars and talking about what there experiences have been like with being disembodied - if that’s the right way to put it?

:-)! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.