Anyone know what these bots do?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Viewers can't operate bots so they don't use them. At least normal viewers can't operate bots. Bots are run with bot software which is a different programme entirely to a viewer. Avatars that are logged in with viewers are alts - not bots.

On re-reading this, I can see that I didn't word it very well. What I meant was that a bot isn't really a bot if it is logged in in a normal viewer. E.g. my first bots were traffic bots, but they weren't really bots because each was logged in in its own viewer, and nothing could control it except me at the keyboard controlling it just as we do when we control our normal avatars. There is nothing in a viewer that can be controlled from the outside and cause the avatar do things, such as move to a point, sit on a particular object, say something, respond to something, etc. Not in normal viewers, anyway.

Bots, a.k.a. scripted agents, are avatars than can be controlled by something other than a person sitting at the keyboard, controlling the avatar, which is in a viewer, in exactly the same way that we control our normal avatars. So real bots are logged in in a programme other than a viewer. That is, unless a special viewer for bots has been produced. If one exists, I'm not aware of it.

And then I found this gem as a result of the change in the TPV-policy: http://moonlight-mce.net/wp/index.php/2012/02/25/197/#more-197
Only Linden Lab could pull it off:
Quote: ""
First important thing is that MoonBots are no longer allowed to identify themselves as bots. If you find it funny that LL breaks a measure that originally was implemented by us as a security measure – feel free to do so. Nevertheless, we have to live with that.
From some point next week, MoonBots will not carry a viewer ID tag anymore, so they will show up in Phoenix/Firestorm/Imprudence/CoolViewer radar as any other client, no longer marked as ‘MoonBot’.
Another issue is that MoonBots will not be allowed to ID themselves as bots when someone messages them. This feature was also a security measure, to make it possible for any land owner to determine if the avatar hanging around idling on their land is a bot that went astray because its home region is offline or if this is an idling avatar, and also to determine who is the owner of the bot so they can be easily addressed and asked to remove the bot.
I am now forced to change that with the next update, so from that point on MoonBots won’t reply with “Hi, I’m a MoonBot and my master is…” anymore. Live with that, too.""

Oh, my...

Rival Destiny wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. 

I know that you can't run a bot with a viewer, that isn't what I meant.  When I had my bots, I had the software installed on my computer, and would control them just as you explain in your reply.  

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying but my take is that you can now run bots without having a viewer to log them in running 24/7?  It is this bit that I am interested in exploring.  Being able to run a bot without having to log that bot into sl with a viewer in order for them to be in world. 

Yes, a viewer is not needed at all to run bots. The OpenMetaverse (OpenMV) system is all you need. It comes with an example ready-made programme, called Test Client, and that Test Client is all you need to run a bot. It runs in a Command Prompt. It simply logs an avatar in. Then you can command the avatar to do quite a few things that are all built-in.

To make the avatar do things that are built in, you can type commands in the command line or have the Test Client log the bot in with you as its master and write an LSL script, that's contained in an object, that will tell the bot what to do - by IMing it. Because you (its master) own the object, the bot will do what it tells it to do. Your avatar can also send commands to it via IMs. The last method isn't all that good for a bot because it requires the owner to send commands all the time. The middle method is probably the best as it's easy for a non-programmer, because it's LSL and help is quick and easy to get here. You can also adapt the Test Client programme to command the bot automatically. Test Client is written in C# so, adapting it would need some knowledge of that language. Apart from operating the bot via IMs from your main avatar, no viewer is needed at any time to run the bot.

To make the avatar do things that are not built in, you need to be able to programme in C# to add to the Test Client's programme. After that, you can make it do those things as in the previous paragraph.

I've done all of that over the years. I had a large castle with a number of 'castle character' bots in it. They moved around the castle, and around the sim. They were operated by LSL scripted objects. The control object was the main one, and I had 'point' objects around their routes to tell the control when a bot had arrived. I could place the points anywhere because they told the control where they were. The control then told the avatar where to go next, or what to do next. There are other ways of doing it but that's the one I decided on. My main use of external controls, that I wrote into the Test Client, was for less mobile bots. They didn't do much so I didn't need to modify the Test Client much for them.

[Edited to correct some misinformation]

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

And then I found this gem as a result of the change in the TPV-policy:

Only Linden Lab could pull it off:

Quote: ""

First important thing is that MoonBots are no longer allowed to identify themselves as bots. If you find it funny that LL breaks a measure that originally was implemented by us as a security measure – feel free to do so. Nevertheless, we have to live with that.

From some point next week, MoonBots will not carry a viewer ID tag anymore, so they will show up in Phoenix/Firestorm/Imprudence/CoolViewer radar as any other client, no longer marked as ‘MoonBot’.

Another issue is that MoonBots will not be allowed to ID themselves as bots when someone messages them. This feature was also a security measure, to make it possible for any land owner to determine if the avatar hanging around idling on their land is a bot that went astray because its home region is offline or if this is an idling avatar, and also to determine who is the owner of the bot so they can be easily addressed and asked to remove the bot.

I am now forced to change that with the next update, so from that point on MoonBots won’t reply with “Hi, I’m a MoonBot and my master is…” anymore. Live with that, too.""

Oh, my...

is about consent all what linden said about this. the moon people reading more into it than they need to really

TPV cant display info about other user that linden viewer doesnt also without the explicit consent of the other user. linden break the viewer tags bc was a hax vector. and more important official viewer user (and some other TPV) not able to give their consent even if they wanted to. whatever viewer you use is your own private business

avatar or bot can display any info about itself that the account holder wishes in the same way that linden viewer does. for example can reply to any IM with a busy message. like: sorry ima bot. can also wear a group title: ima bot and same on profile: ima bot contact owner dets

Gloria Marchant wrote:

I think we are going off topic here. The question is not "how do bots work", it's more "what do they do and possibly want". Any ideas? It's quite annoying to be stalked or monitored. Does LL know about that? Are they legal?

More specifically, the question was what does a particular bot do. I know, 'cos I asked it :)

But, since I started the thread, I'm allowed to stray off-topic ;)

am not sure if this bot belongs to the same family but there was/is a panoramic bot service that someone made

basically you could rent/hire them on this website to go to locations inworld that you could pick and it would do a 360 degree turn taking snapshots as it turned. the snapshots you could view thru the website

dunno if is still going that service

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

We get these all the time. Everytime we have a parcel for rent they come. I was lucky enough to get a decent profile off one and it said it was a grid survey bot.

that one probably be Tyche Shepherds bot. since linden stop publishing much hard data about SL then pretty much everyone go to her site to find out stuff

Tyche pretty good about how her bots work. she happy to stop her bots from going anywhere where they not wanted. like you not have to ban her bots. just tell her that you not want them to come your private sim and she will block them herself. so you not have to worry anymore or even put them on your banlist

Tyche a statistician RL. she pretty professional and her numbers and methodology are quite sound. so lots of people trust her bc of her long history and the standards she apply

can know more about what her bots doing by go here: http://gridsurvey.com/

• 4 months later...

16 wrote:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

We get these all the time. Everytime we have a parcel for rent they come. I was lucky enough to get a decent profile off one and it said it was a grid survey bot.

that one probably be Tyche Shepherds bot. since linden stop publishing much hard data about SL then pretty much everyone go to her site to find out stuff

Tyche pretty good about how her bots work. she happy to stop her bots from going anywhere where they not wanted. like you not have to ban her bots. just tell her that you not want them to come your private sim and she will block them herself. so you not have to worry anymore or even put them on your banlist

Tyche a statistician RL. she pretty professional and her numbers and methodology are quite sound. so lots of people trust her bc of her long history and the standards she apply

can know more about what her bots doing by go here:

I checked out this site when you posted it, I checked it out again during the week and noticed that her bots rez in at the centre of the sim. Within the last 2 days I have noticed these bots TPing in at the centre of the sim, unfortunately I was not in range to view them when they visited. However 10 minutes ago I seen one TP near a parcel on the other side of the sim that is for private sale. Same as the rest of the others bots, spin around 360° and then takes off.

I guess this bot is not going down to the corner store to pick me up a sandwich :matte-motes-crying:

• 1 year later...

I know them now this Little Virtual Thing comes on our private sim by passes the orb and stays there. Why? What for? Data without asking so needless to say it belongs to a Bot Mistress who is into BDSM I don't want that crap coming on or near my sim. They could have asked first but didn't and it claming to be part of LInden and SL. Not true the "bot" and her mistress were blocked and reported to LInden Labs. Yes she is mentioned on this page no need to repeat her name

Hrdtop75 Deluxe wrote:

16 wrote:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

can know more about what her bots doing by go here:

I checked out this site when you posted it, I checked it out again during the week and noticed that her bots rez in at the centre of the sim. Within the last 2 days I have noticed these bots TPing in at the centre of the sim, unfortunately I was not in range to view them when they visited. However 10 minutes ago I seen one TP near a parcel on the other side of the sim that is for private sale. Same as the rest of the others bots, spin around 360° and then takes off.

I guess this bot is not going down to the corner store to pick me up a sandwich :matte-motes-crying:

I know them now this Little Virtual Thing comes on our private sim by passes the orb and stays there. Why? What for? Data without asking so needless to say it belongs to a Bot Mistress who is into BDSM I don't want that crap coming on or near my sim. They could have asked first but didn't and it claming to be part of LInden and SL. Not true the "bot" and her mistress were blocked and reported to LInden Labs. Yes she is mentioned on this page no need to repeat her name

Yeah comes on your private sim sneaks bot into passes security without asking permission hmm that seems odd and claims to be a subsidiary of Linden Labs. Just because someone is claiming to be a RL this and that with no credentials to back this up that is pretty bad. 

gabbyjaws wrote:

needless to say it belongs to a Bot Mistress who is into BDSM I don't want that crap coming on or near my sim. They could have asked first but didn't and it claming to be part of LInden and SL. Not true the "bot" and her mistress were blocked and reported to LInden Labs.

Lol, well congratulations at having managed to mis-read pretty much everything in that bot's profile. It's easy to opt out of this bots routine, and it never bypasses any 'security' (It's more likely that your security is poorly configured.). It absolutely, categorically doesn't claim to be a part of LL or SL.

There's not much need to badmouth people just because you don't understand what's goin' on.

• 4 months later...

gabbyjaws wrote:

Intelligent Of Course we are we had our security orbS set in all parts of the sim. So yes Miss Smarty pants we know what we are doing

No you don't. Stop, now. You don't understand who Tyche Shepherd is or what her bot does and why it's all incredibly valuable to any Second Life user who cares about the platform's current and ongoing viability.

Moreover, if you're using multiple security orbs, you're using obsolete scripts, unnecessarily lagging anyone who stumbles into that sim.

Given how bumbling and befuddled all the rest of this is, it's likely that your claim of having images stolen is also mere misinformation (or madness), but whatever it is, it's surely nothing to do with Tyche's benevolent bot.

• 4 years later...

I Love all of you but, not one of the 'Informed' bothered to be 'Informative', anyone notice, yes they did.  They who state, "that you do not Understand" yet explains nothing is causing Confusion and Consternation.

2019, and nothing in this thread Illuminates the concerns of the Original Post.

Will look up Tyche Shepherd, but from what I have read here - that one's 'Avatar like" Bots are the only ones I see today.

Something tells me that Tyche Shepard is a good source of explanation, but why have they not put some assurances here?  Perhaps they have a great explanation elsewhere, was that mentioned? - perhaps.

Found this Thread due to the Activities of one Avatar by the title, "Integristic" of 'agentgermanlandholding' @ http://www.german-land-holding.eu/ 

Benny & Susanne Sonnenkern - both listed as Estate Owners.  They have over 200 sims and so many angry residents who have banned their 'bots that I had to find out what the uproar was about.'

Anyone want to help me understand, what makes a virtual man hate another virtual man - or 'bot' in the case of this realty business?

Or should I just ask Tyche Shepard that too?

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.