Forum Tone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I have no choice as to how other people feel about me or what I have done.

It's easy to tell a person that has no sense of humor, they aren't the problem.  It's the ones that purposely take offense to what you have to say, even though they know it was just a joke, in order to try to silence your voice, that I take issue with and will continue doing so.

As you've already stated, I'm sure this thread (or this post, at least) won't last too long... though I do hope a few people get to read my words before they are struck down by the powers that be, once again.

...Dres

I've read your words and I find them troubling. I agree with Pussycat's observation that "Bigotry has been "hiding" behind the "its your problem for getting offended" line for far too long."

Blaming someone for not getting the joke is a tired old trope, an attempt to absolve oneself of personal responsibility.

Most people do indeed have some choice in determining how other people see them. The ability to make those choices comes from something called empathy. Empathy is not perfect. People have it in varying degrees and use it for varying purposes.

Drag out that old trope if you wish. Don't be surprised if I set it on fire.

No Madeleine you are worng and do not understand the concept of empathy.

I need not be empathic to instil an image of myself in another. However empathy lets me know if I have succeeded.

You may be thinking of the 'looking glass self'.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

It's easy to tell a person that has no sense of humor, they aren't the problem.  It's the ones that purposely take offense to what you have to say, even though they know it was just a joke, in order to try to silence your voice, that I take issue with and will continue doing so.

As you've already stated, I'm sure this thread (or this post, at least) won't last too long... though I do hope a few people get to read my words before they are struck down by the powers that be, once again.

...Dres

I've read your words and I find them troubling. I agree with Pussycat's observation that "Bigotry has been "hiding" behind the "its your problem for getting offended" line for far too long."

Blaming someone for not getting the joke is a tired old trope, an attempt to absolve oneself of personal responsibility.

Most people do indeed have some choice in determining how other people see them. The ability to make those choices comes from something called empathy. Empathy is not perfect. People have it in varying degrees and use it for varying purposes.

Perhaps part of the thing here is to have the ability to recognize when a "joke' had crossed the line and the maturity to recognize and deal with it appropriately.  That is not to say that I don't see two sides to this.  I will agree wholeheartedly that some folks do need to grow tougher nads (and no, Dres, I am not pointing a finger at you).

I was listening to an old top 10 college football coach talking and someone asked him how the game had changed since he started.  He replied the biggest thing was that now he was having to teach his players mental toughness.  He said that 30 years ago he didn't have to do that. 

So I think that there is a balance to all this.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

It's not a matter of being blind (or anything else like that).  For the most part any posts I make in this forum (other than posts I make in the Answers section) are just for entertainment.......

I will agree with you that many things in this forum are mainly of entertainment value.  Things like the Vanity Thread.  (I Hope I am not insulting anyone by calling that 'entertainment').  But what about threads like this?  Are they purely entertainment.  I see people opening their hearts here for all to see.

As I see it, in times past, there have been people who have painted the entire Forum with the broad stroke. "It's all just entertainment," and used that for an excuse to ignore any one and every one's feelings and just do what they damned well pleased.

While my life does not hinge upon what goes on this Forum, it still is a part of my life and hence important to me.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

I believe, both you and Pussycat, mistook my words as meaning something that they do not.  When I wrote them, I was thinking of a specific incident that happened to me here.

I told a self-referential joke, that could never have been mistaken as anything but a joke, then had someone bash me about the face and neck over it, when the joke was not directed at them nor did it have anything to do with them.  Yet, they felt it necessary to use their fabricated indignation in order to tell me how I should refer to myself and represent myself in the forum... in other words, they were trying to silence my voice.  Sorry, that kind of thing doesn't fly with me.

So you see, there was no bigotry involved except on the part of this person, that told me I need to stop letting it be know all over the forum that I'm gay.  I've heard that too many times to just let it pass.

I hope this clears that up a bit.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

I believe, both you and Pussycat, mistook my words as meaning something that they do not.  When I wrote them, I was thinking of a specific incident that happened to me here.

I told a self-referential joke, that could never have been mistaken as anything but a joke, then had someone bash me about the face and neck over it, when the joke was not directed at them nor did it have anything to do with them.  Yet, they felt it necessary to use their fabricated indignation in order to tell me how I should refer to myself and represent myself in the forum... in other words, they were trying to silence my voice.  Sorry, that kind of thing doesn't fly with me.

So you see, there was no bigotry involved except on the part of this person, that told me I need to stop letting it be know all over the forum that I'm gay.  I've heard that too many times to just let it pass.

...Dres

This does cool some of the heat that got me to respond, so thanks for the clarification. I'll let my comment stand though, as it's not dependent on context and aimed at the trope more than you. I suspect you don't actually believe it.

I never thought it would come to this..But you all force me to it..

You are all going to not only  be Rick Rolled!!

but Rick Rolled with the literal version!!!

Now never make me have to do this ever again!!  It hurts me more than it hurts you to have to of done this =(

:P

Hehe thanks for the lols Ceka :matte-motes-smitten:

Regards to the OP: i think Lindens are still working on those feeds. Up until recently the feeds generally went unused so they've had little time to gauge what people want yet.

It is a thorny issue having no/little control over feeds, its a lot like how facebook does it, except with the anonymous nature of SL its probably gonna bring out much more nasties. Facebook does not ever listen to people's needs on these kind of issues (its always zuckerborg's way or gtho) but the good news is here the Lindens are listening to us. With so many avatars here trying to run professional little businesses and stuff, I imagine Lindens will end up implementing more blog-like controls where everyone will have 100% control over their own feeds.

Winston Smith is a fictional character and the protagonist of George Orwell's 1949 novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. The character was employed by Orwell as an everyman in the setting of the novel, a "central eye ... [the reader] can readily identify with". Winston Smith works as a clerk in the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, where his job is to rewrite historical documents so they match the constantly changing current party line. This involves revising newspaper articles and doctoring photographs—mostly to remove "unpersons," people who have fallen foul of the party. Because of his proximity to the mechanics of rewriting history, Winston Smith nurses doubts about the Party and its monopoly on truth. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Smith

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

...Dres

This does cool some of the heat that got me to respond, so thanks for the clarification. I'll let my comment stand though, as it's not dependent on context and aimed at the trope more than you. I suspect you don't actually believe it.

I believe that I control my actions and are responsible only for what I do.  I have no control over how people feel about me and therefore cannot be held responsibility for that.  I try treat people with respect and to be the best person that I can be, sometimes I fall short... everyone does.  If someone wants to take one of those instances and use it to paint me as some sort of monster, that's their decision and has little to do with who I really am.  In fact, it shows more about their character than it does mine.

If that's what you consider a "trope", then so be it.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

...Dres

I believe that I control my actions and are responsible only for what I do.  I have no control over how people feel about me and therefore cannot be held responsibility for that.  I try treat people with respect and to be the best person that I can be, sometimes I fall short... everyone does.  If someone wants to take one of those instances and use it to paint me as some sort of monster, that's their decision and has little to do with who I really am.  In fact, it shows more about their character than it does mine.

...Dres

Well, I think you just showed you don't believe the trope. Treating people with respect generally gets better responses than treating them with disrespect, which shows that you can (on average) affect what people think of you. Of course there's always an outlier that gives you pause, but that's life. There are people who are disrespectful and say the target is resonsible for "feeling" the disrespect. Your wording walked close to that idea and that didn't seem like you. I'm glad we cleared it up.

As for your self-refential joke, I use my Snugs alt for that purpose... to poke fun at myself. Curiously, I've been told by several people that they find that either creepy or offensive. It is indeed hard to please everybody.

Dres, I have your back.  I have never read or seen any action from you that would make me question your character.  I have said it before and I will say it again - you are an amazing person - strong, kind and honest.  You have the bravery to stand up for what you believe in and see it through to the end even when you feel you are fighting the battle alone.  You have given a lot of yourself - it is time for the rest of us to fill you up again.  Thank you for being you.

Cinn

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

...Dres

...Dres

Well, I think you just showed you don't believe the trope. Treating people with respect generally gets better responses than treating them with disrespect, which shows that you can (on average) affect what people think of you. Of course there's always an outlier that gives you pause, but that's life. There are people who are disrespectful and say the target is resonsible for "feeling" the disrespect. Your wording walked close to that idea and that didn't seem like you. I'm glad we cleared it up.

As for your self-refential joke, I use my Snugs alt for that purpose... to poke fun at myself. Curiously, I've been told by several people that they find that either creepy or offensive. It is indeed hard to please everybody.

ROFL

Sorry Madelaine, wrong again!

Geez, you're 0 for 2 here so far, maybe you should think about taking another sabbatical.

And stop using the word 'trope', it's a weasel word that may impress the mediocre minds who are agog over your pretentious personna, but to those of us who understand it, we recognize its use as a ploy to manipulate and cover up a weak understanding of the subject under consideration.

Treating people with respect generally gets better responses than treating them with disrespect,

Genghis Khan and Julius Caesar didn't build their empires by consulting with the people they conquered and then asking for 360 degree feedback. Their empires only fell apart when they started allowing the slaves to use the baths.

Sometimes you just have to make inferior people face up to their situation; it wastes less time and gets the same results in the end.

Fidor

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

Most people do indeed have some choice in determining how other people see them.

I told a self-referential joke, [...]

...Dres

I believe that I control my actions and are responsible only for what I do. 
I have no control over how people feel about me and therefore cannot be held responsibility for that.
  I try treat people with respect and to be the best person that I can be, sometimes I fall short... everyone does.  If someone wants to take one of those instances and use it to paint me as some sort of monster, that's their decision and has little to do with who I really am.  In fact, it shows more about their character than it does mine.

...Dres

Well, I think you just showed you don't believe the trope. Treating people with respect generally gets better responses than treating them with disrespect, which shows that you can (on average) affect what people think of you. Of course there's always an outlier that gives you pause, but that's life.
There are people who are disrespectful and say the target is resonsible for "feeling" the disrespect.
Your wording walked close to that idea and that didn't seem like you. I'm glad we cleared it up.

This sort of thing is -never- proper.

We are all responsible for our actions and how they impact others.

"Bigotry has been "hiding" behind the "its your problem for getting offended" line for far too long."

With the ability to speak out freely comes the responsibility to be accountable to what one says.

Self-referential jokes, don't work online. They can work in person when you're a limited audience that can get your angle and that you're 'part of the target group of your own attack' - but online we lack the body language cues - the various senses that can make the hurt go away with such comments.

Online, self referenced jokes can just make a person sound like a bigot to a listener who in person, might have been able to be empathic and even in the same crowd. Such a style of humor is 'best left at the door.'

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

...Online, self referenced jokes can just make a person sound like a bigot to a listener who in person, might have been able to be empathic and even in the same crowd. Such a style of humor is 'best left at the door.' 

I couldn't disagree with this ^^ any more.  Banning humor at the door is silencing an effective means of communication for some.    Just as some people can only communicate with videos and lolcatz the tools are provided for them to do so.  Typing English constructs that incorporate humor is a basic form of communicating.  If you don't 'get' the humor it is not the fault of the entertainer.  There are many times on this forum where I feel my humor did not fail; the audience failed. :matte-motes-bored:

If something is inappropriate it is up to the moderators to determine and take action - my only hope is they bring a sense of humor to the table when doing so.  

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

"Bigotry has been "hiding" behind the "its your problem for getting offended" line for far too long."

With the ability to speak out freely comes the responsibility to be accountable to what one says.

Self-referential jokes, don't work online. They can work in person when you're a limited audience that can get your angle and that you're 'part of the target group of your own attack' - but online we lack the body language cues - the various senses that can make the hurt go away with such comments.

Online, self referenced jokes can just make a person sound like a bigot to a listener who in person, might have been able to be empathic and even in the same crowd. Such a style of humor is 'best left at the door.'

Emotionally hypersensitive people who nevertheless lack the empathic intellectual capacity to be able to read and understand the communications expressed competently and coherently by others will always make this argument and will never win with it. It is up to the individual to determine whether they wish to enter the killing-field of internet forums - of whatever format - if lacking the linguistic and comprehension weapons and armour to be able to compete on what is most definitely a level playing field. Partial incompetence in one or other of the directions of the communication arcs will always reveal itself to the humiliation of the inadequately equipped participant. Belief that consideration of this insufficiency of judgment should be the responsibility of the better prepared demonstrates an unacknowledged moral deficit of the defective combatant. That the strong should accommodate the weak is a tenet held only by the weak, as it is their only response to the natural Darwinian effect of survival of the fittest. Any community which supports its runts is doomed to failure. Be responsible for and live with your feelings or remove yourself from situations in which you are unable to do so.

Fidor

BothamFidor wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Emotionally hypersensitive people who nevertheless lack the empathic intellectual capacity to be able to read and understand the communications expressed competently and coherently by others will always make this argument and will never win with it. It is up to the individual to determine whether they wish to enter the killing-field of internet forums - of whatever format - if lacking the linguistic and comprehension weapons and armour to be able to compete on what is most definitely a level playing field. Partial incompetence in one or other of the directions of the communication arcs will always reveal itself to the humiliation of the inadequately equipped participant. Belief that consideration of this insufficiency of judgment should be the responsibility of the better prepared demonstrates an unacknowledged moral deficit of the defective combatant. That the strong should accommodate the weak is a tenet held only by the weak, as it is their only response to the natural Darwinian effect of survival of the fittest. Any community which supports its runts is doomed to failure. Be responsible for and live with your feelings or remove yourself from situations in which you are unable to do so.

Fidor

My stance lies somewhere between these two.  We should be accountable for what we say.  I agree that there are a few on this forum who hide behind what they later call comedy, but we can't take that tool away from everyone.  We can only try to see the intent of the poster and make a judgment call for ourselves.  This is a public forum for everyone.  I will tailor my communication style to some extent for my audience.  I do not expect everyone to have a college education, I am aware that some people are more sensitive than others and I know that English isn't everyone's first language.  Communication, for me, is more important than that, but at the same time I will never be politically correct enough to get my point across to everyone.  I will not even try to please EVERYONE.  I do not think that someone should be silenced for dissenting comments and there are no classes on tact available.  These forums should not be a place where the 'weak' are culled, but I will not hold anyone's hand and enable them to continue to be weak.  It is a balancing act. 

you would think there were a bunch of people here before us that came in and broke a bunch of eggs to make some omelets..

because it sure seems like a lot of people are walking on eggshells lol

we are all human..people are not perfect..why are people trying to act perfect in a world where we know we are not and everyone makes mistakes??

myself i don't think there are ignorant people here posting up that would be serious about a generalization about a group or race..

there is something i notice about these forums when race or groups get brought up..people walk on eggshells...

when people start to tread lightly it gets scary..i mean jesus scary hehehehe

why can we never relax and talk about these things rather than our butts tighten up hoping we don't cross a line we may not have known about ..at least we will be getting more educated in the things rather than dodging them to avoid conflict..

stresses like these will never go away if they are kept in undertones and shunned the second someone either makes a mistake or attempts to actually learn something..

it's like when the subjects come up everyone seems to change into PC mode or not PC mode.

i may get bashed for this i don't know..

but i'm just trying to be honest in how these threads feel and what i tend to see..they feel like oprha when DR phil was still around  lol

does this make sense or am i just sounding like a loon here?

it's hard to put into words really..but they just feel all strange n stuff hehehe

as my father says..are you tryin to butter my biscut? hehehe

ahh maybe i'm just picking up on other vides or something..but after seeing so many threads i just finally had to say something..even though i may be the only one that understands me lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.