Quiet Please!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There I go trying to be all light-hearted, and you pose a question that stops me in my tracks.

I think that what is not said is often as powerful, or more, than what is said. Whether that power represents eloquence or the death of love depends on the circumstances and the people, does it not?

I think that is probably true, Quinn. There are uncomfortable silences, and comfortable ones.

And there are creative silences.

The British playwright Harold Pinter was well-known for his silences -- the spaces between the words spoken by his characters. There's a book entitled The Poetics of Silence, in which James Hollis tells us that Pinter believed that "we live in the space between words."

Is it possible to be creatively -- even lovingly -- "silent" in a text environment like this?

Scylla Rhiadra wrote:

Is it possible to be creatively -- even lovingly -- "silent" in a text environment like this?

That's a helluva good question and one for which, unsurprisingly, I do not have an answer. I agree with Pinter, though.

I'll just watch for a while. Quietly. Maybe I can learn something.

Scylla Rhiadra wrote:

If we can hear the 'noise' then I can only assume the opposite is true - we can hear the silence.

I think I can hear both, but I am not sure I always understand either of them.  I read words.  Foolish words are ALWAYS silent words to me.  Beautiful words sing to me.       

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.