I heared a rumour that your private chat can be read by other people. Is this true?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What you heard about was the very useless and annoying feature recently foisted upon us in profiles.  mysecondlife.com is where profiles have been for many of us for some time now. Those that have been using old, obsolete viewers are being surprised by it because they never knew I guess.

The chat that is shared is not like in world chat or IM, it's the things that people post to other people's profiles. This is part of the aforementioned 'useless feature, SL is trying to be Facebook. I guess it's easier to mimic another successful site then it is to fix the one you already have. *shrugs*

Your IM's are still safe unless one of the two of you participating chooses to share them. (Well, as safe as they ever were)

Gryphon Ronas wrote:

What you heard about was the very useless and annoying feature recently foisted upon us in profiles.  mysecondlife.com is where profiles have been for many of us for some time now. Those that have been using old, obsolete viewers are being surprised by it because they never knew I guess.

Nope, there are even far more advanced viewer than LL's official Viewer 2 out there that are actually so advanced they don't need to rely on a decreased usability to foist useles crap on users, for instance Firestorm.

LL can, but rarely cares to.

anoyone with access to your computer and login (if you have one) can read your logs if they know where to look and you have logging enabled.

anyone with access to your SL account obviously can to some degree.

otherwise, IM's can't be read.

feed posts are only as secure as the person you are talking to set them, but you might as well assume anyone can read them since that's the default.

ETA @ Love:
not in SL... that is true of openSim grids for the most part.

it's an open source software that lets you run regions similar to SL... some viewers even work on both SL and openSim.

there are a few small grids set up using it, some of them even have a noticeable number of users.... nothing like the scale or userbase of SL though.

Love Leonoase wrote:

I'm surprised at the responses here.

I have heard from a number of different sources that SIM owners can view all of the private IMs that take place on their land.

Don`t believe everything you hear in SL. People start rumours out of ignorance or just to mess with other people & the end result in most cases is that a load of residents get freaked out and think of SL as a this giant insecure site that is programmed to do everything from invade your privacy & steal your money to infecting your computer or stealing your identity.

Facts:

It is possible to use bugs or other spying gadgets to listen to people's local chat from more than 20m away.

It is not possible to listen to IMs

LL can read your IMs, but we don`t each have a Linden employed to sit listening to our convos 24/7, they would only look at them if they had a reason to.

It is posssible to encrypt your IMs so that even LL cannot read them, if you use a viewer such as Phoenix.

I first heard this 'rumor' years ago as a kind of 'threat' by someone who was a colleague at the club where I worked.  There was supposedly some tool that, if dialed into the same chat channel in which you shared an IM chat with someone, could peer in and read the chat.

No way.  No one can read your IM chat but those in IMs with you.

Aengus Fairywren wrote:

I heared a rumour that your private chat can be read by other people via mysecondlife.com Is this true?

1) YOU decide who can read the messages you post on my.secondlife.com. Go to Settings > Privacy > Feed for that.

2) SL private chat (aka IM messages) is a completely different thing than my.secondlife.com, which is a web-based messaging system

3) other users can NOT read your private chat

my.secondlife.com (the new web profile-based SL social network) is an awesome innovation. It will be very useful for some Second Life users.

If you don't know anything about it feel free to have a try, and leave a message over my own feedhttps://my.secondlife.com/opensource.obscure

• 1 year later...

link Treves wrote:

well i heard that there rumor on sl is they are getting ready to have only the premuim acct play this site and u know the crazy ppl will be banned if caught.

Does anything thing this is true?

no

not unless you sign up to a Steam account thinking you maybe have to do to use SL

if you are hearing the pay -to-play rumor then is bc of this

• 2 years later...

I beleieve this is true i was parnered with Lukrecia Mer. Many time i talk to friends in IM chat and later she ask me questions or say things about what i said to others in prvate im. Yet she also was a hacker in sl would copy bot clothes or take demo hait and things make copy and edit out the demo parts and use. She even took over my account hacked it. Have screen shots from sl proof and she still in sl they did nothing to her. So as for reasing IM. This lady can. I know.

I beleieve this is true i was parnered with Lukrecia Mer. Many time i talk to friends in IM chat and later she ask me questions or say things about what i said to others in prvate im. Yet she also was a hacker in sl would copy bot clothes or take demo hait and things make copy and edit out the demo parts and use. She even took over my account hacked it. Have screen shots from sl proof and she still in sl they did nothing to her. So as for reasing IM. This lady can. I know.

• 6 months later...

LunjoImagine wrote:

For a fact I know it is true... my partner could read my ims with others... he could see me what i do on the other sim as well... i didnt mind it and i didnt ask how.... but just so you know... is true and apsolutely possible...

No, what is more likely to be true is that someone is giving your partner IMs you are having with them.

• 1 month later...

That wasnt possible.... and what is talked about here is not possible trough sl or any kind of huds....is done outside sl... i am not a hacker so i do not know how... all i know nothing is safe....i was even explaned how but that was unfamiliar terminology for me... I know from first hand cause it happened.... and i knew about it while it was hapening...

Local chat can be read by anyone nearby, of course. It can be relayed, via an object, to other people and to outside servers too, from which it can be accessed by other people. What can't happen without some skullduggery, such as a key logger in the victim's computer, is programmatically intercept other people's IMs. People (IM receivers) can pass information on, of course. The receiver can even use an alt to see what you are doing, and stuff like that, BUT programmatically intercepting other people's IMs cannot be done. You are mistaken.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.