New V2 and Profiles

Gryphon Ronas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this change was across the board or what, but today I log in and hit a profile and I see something unrecognizable.  It's what's left of resident profiles.

I thought the general idea was to make SL 'fast, easy, and fun' and that the emphasis was supposed to be on retention? If so, then why in the world did someone think it was a good idea to make it so that the first thing you see when you open a profile is crap from other sites? 

I'm fine with changing the layout and all that, I really am. But when I open a profile, I want to see that person's profile... Their SECOND LIFE profile. To me, having the 'Home' page of a profile be all about other services is downright stupid. Another case of LL being out of touch with the user base. The vast and overwhelming majority of the people on SL do not link it to other social sites, so when we open their profiles, we see a blank page. Why do they feel the need to keep trying to cram this down our throats? I wonder - do Twitter and Facebook promote SL as heavily?

If anyone could give me one reason why it's better to open the profile of a person who may be causing trouble, and get presented with the blank page instead of their profile - I'd love to hear it. 

I agree, The new social networking version is pure crap. Even if I switch to the "About" tab, which is - DUH! - , what I want when I look up someone's profile, I get less useful content then before.

Follow the fads, and to hell with function or what the customers need or want! That's The LL way, lately. *sigh*

Nope - Not what I'm referring to at all.  And I do have all maturity levels enabled anyway.

What I am referring to is what somene at LL considers "Home" in a profile. One would think it would be the person's profile, but no...  Clicking the home button from anywhere in the profile takes you to the Feeds tab, not the About tab, which is actually the profile.

I so could NOT care less about what friends friends are posting on each others profiles!

I don't like twitter and all that nonsense either.

When I look at a profile I want to know about the person who owns the profile, not what they had for breakfast either but just some basic important info.

I had to have a look at the new profiles to see what it was all about. I like the new layout, although I agree the feed should not be the first thing you see. I'm wondering, though, why I get an "Add Friend" button for someone who is already in my friends list.

So the past three Viewers are broken.  Thanks LL.

We still can't own our islands, but you expect us to pay as much as a used car for them.  Thanks LL.

The kids still see across the borders from PG into M all over the mainland.  Thanks LL.

And now, we have a new "Facebook for SL" crammed into our profiles.  This allows us to see conversations friends are having with total strangers, and they can see my conversation with someone they don't know either.  Not to mention I cannot turn the silly thing off -- what part of "Second Life" screams to you that I want to chit chat on a webpage instead of going inworld and having fun? 

I'd be incensed.  But I and nobody I know hangs out and stares at their profile all day to talk with friends.  So this is utterly nonfunctional and useless.  No point being upset about something that doesn't work.  Of course, that covers a lot of things coming out of the lab...  Thanks LL...

The more I mess around with the new profile, the more I like it. You can shut off the feed in the settings panel so people don't see it, and, more importantly, can't post to it. Like any new system it has a few quirks that need worked out, but I hope LL keeps this feature in.

*ducks behind a prim to hide from the thrown vegetables*

Ceera Murakami wrote:

I agree, The new social networking version is pure crap. Even if I switch to the "About" tab, which is - 
DUH! - 
, what I want when I look up someone's profile, I get less useful content then before.

Follow the fads, and to hell with function or what the customers need or want! That's The LL way, lately. *sigh*

I like the new profiles, for a start they seem to load faster. However, in terms of functionality the feed should not be the first thing you see, you should see the about page first, feed should be the last thing people see because people who want to use the feed, should know where it is.

Facebook may have some utility to some people... but that doesn't mean everyone wants or needs it, and it certainly doesn't mean that everything has to be turned into Facebook.

Personally, I think so-called "social networks" like Facebook and Twitter are stupid and annoying, and I damn sure don't want it anywhere near my Second Life.

I want some facebook bits in SL.

For instance our SL sim uses a Facebook group, when we have an event planned I can anounce it to the group, every member gets automatically an email with invitation.
Automatically a little page is created where people can discuss the event but where you can also see who has said they are coming.

After the event we create a photo album where people can upload their pictures too, comment on pictures and also 'tag' other people.

It is fun to hear you've been spotted in a photo someone made at an SL event.

So especially for events this is all rather handy, at least for us as we have several events a month.

Also I like the group page where any of the members can post a comment that everyone then hears about.

When I've found an interesting link or video relating to the theme of our sim, i post it there and people can comment.

There are other sites out there that can do this sort of thing as well.

But I would like it if something like this was available for SL.

I don't care much about personal avatar "social media" pages, but for a group, it could be awesome.

Especially as group chat still can be a bit iffy now and then...

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

There is a little 'x' on each interest button. If I click one of those, the interest is removed from my list, no save button needed.

Its temp deleted. leave editing your profile and then go back, the deleted interest will be back.

The deletion only lasts for as long as you're editing the profile. Its running an ajax variable, but never sends the data to the server.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.