New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

my feed there is about 80% photos by one guy

I use my Home mostly, which is just posts from the ppl I have Followed on Primfeed.  The Discovery brings all matter of stuff and the Gallery is just photos, I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So they are wanting like around 70.00 USD for a yearly subscription?

Do they have monthly and quarterly?

I'm just mainly curious is all..

"At launch, a Pro subscription will be offered on a 4-week payment basis at L$1860 for 4 weeks or L$8870 for 24 weeks (representing a 12% saving of the 4-week rate)."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I note that Linden Labs appears to have already set up an official Second Life account there.

I tried primfeed on desktop today, but note that the search feature is broken for me.

At the moment it only seems to be able to find account names that have signed up. Everything else returns nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I'm struggling a bit to find information. From what I gather, the limitation for free accounts is set to 1500x1500? That's kind of killer. I don't think I'm willing to crop my shots or scale them to postage levels just to see if I like the website.

How does it enforce that? Autoscale? Autocrop? Reject at upload? If the process is anything but seamless, this will likely kill it for the casual users too that just want to post their latest snapshot quick. I reckon most users float on a 1920x1080 resolution. Odd choice.

I'm firmly in the wait and see territory. I wish them well but I'm skeptical it'll take off like that.

From what I saw earlier while playing around with the site and testing it's different features is that it uses React(fancy dev framework for modern front end development), meaning that it likely uses ready-to-use libraries that process images. 
For the image quality and format since I'm also "free" user, the image kind of looks like it's transformed to 1500x1500 but after some inspection I came to the conclusion that's not really the case.
In the example below you can see how it transforms the images by using specific component for image transformation.
The image I uploaded is with 2500x1563 resolution or 1.6:1 ratio. When I open it I see that the image source(the original photo) is then scaled down to 1500x938 pixel which is in the same 1.6:1 ratio. It doesn't seem like it's changing the image's dimension but only resizing it until it fits the set limits while also converting it to .webp probably to reduce to overall file storage.
image.thumb.jpeg.54d66ee473fccb3bb0b9c8a0bb715d8c.jpeg

Funny enough in my RL job I'm currently dealing with similar functionality for automatic conversation of PDF files that contain images to extract them and convert them into .webp. The image quality is an issue to be wary of.
:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My question is, why would you use this over Flickr? If someone could convince me that it's better or more useful than Flickr then I might consider using it, but in all honesty, I find it hard to keep up with social media at the best of times anyway without adding more to it. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"At launch, a Pro subscription will be offered on a 4-week payment basis at L$1860 for 4 weeks or L$8870 for 24 weeks (representing a 12% saving of the 4-week rate)."

On a side note, I just want to say also, that I don't mean to sound like I am a Debbie downer in this thread or however that term goes.. hehehe

I just ask a lot of questions and always have a lot ofcautions and curiosities about new things and sometimes that can come off sounding like I am trying to be negative.. Which I'm noticing a lot of my posts in this thread may come off that way.. After thinking about what I've already posted, I can see how I might be leaving that impression..

I'm just learning more and more as life goes on to take my time and ask ask ask.. Where a younger me would jump jump jump , right in.. hehehe

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Weird, I had no issue in Firefox. It was how I found you on the site.

Neither did I, but Love isn't registered on the site, so search produces nothing. It's weirdly set up, because a null result doesn't actually say nothing was found. It just does . . . nothing. So it looks broken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
5 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Weird, I had no issue in Firefox. It was how I found you on the site.

Neither did I, but Love isn't registered on the site, so search produces nothing. It's weirdly set up, because a null result doesn't actually say nothing was found. It just does . . . nothing. So it looks broken.

A "no result" means someone didn't register on the site yet, I assume.

I wonder how "blocking" works? I assume people blocked in-world still show up / can see you on that site.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

My question is, why would you use this over Flickr? If someone could convince me that it's better or more useful than Flickr then I might consider using it, but in all honesty, I find it hard to keep up with social media at the best of times anyway without adding more to it. 

Bloggers are having particular issues with Flickr at the moment, because the platform restricts the ways in which you can link to a creator, especially if you're using a free account.

Flickr also restricts free accounts from posting anything that isn't what we would call "General," and Primfeed doesn't.

There are other minor advantages to this platform, but for my purposes Flickr is still better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A "no result" means someone didn't register on the site yet, I assume.

I wonder how "blocking" works? I assume people blocked in-world still show up / can see you on that site.

There is no blocking yet, so someone on the site could harass you there, and you couldn't do anything about it.

They say that a blocking function is coming.

• Thanks 3

At a second glance I start believing that the requirement to create an account before you can see ANYTHING wasn't their first choice. I was wondering why they did this because it hinders the growth, but one argument with bonniestuff was that, for example, profiles appeared outside of SL for anyone to see. Here, since you have to create an account, only SL residents can see all of that information (whatever is posted manually or automatically there.) Maybe even Lindens asked for this.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Bloggers are having particular issues with Flickr at the moment, because the platform restricts the ways in which you can link to a creator, especially if you're using a free account.

Flickr also restricts free accounts from posting anything that isn't what we would call "General," and Primfeed doesn't.

There are other minor advantages to this platform, but for my purposes Flickr is still better.

Not to put a negative spin on it particularly, but also this site is an unknown. Flickr is not going to suddenly disappear. This is not the first SL social media site to come along, there have been many. I will use it, but would not want it to be my only place posting the content. I am also curious how they will avoid the issue of adult content with their hosting company. I am hoping they planned for that issue in advance, and doubly so if they add other forms of payment.

• Like 5

Cautiously optimistic about this. I enjoy that it offers text posts as well, in such a way that it might server as an SL Twitter in addition to an SL Flickr. 

Only thing giving me pause so far - and it remains to be seen if this calms down as the site settles into what it's going to be: the amount of reblogs of people just entering contests makes feeds nearly pointless to scroll through. I get why creators do this, ofc, but I wish they'd opt for some sort of "comment to enter" instead, and maybe the "explore" tab could show posts with heavy engagement, so creators have an incentive to do that over the reblog giveaways. 

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 2

Just now, stlshayne said:

Cautiously optimistic about this. I enjoy that it offers text posts as well, in such a way that it might server as an SL Twitter in addition to an SL Flickr. 

Only thing giving me pause so far - and it remains to see if this calms down as the site settles into what it's going to be: the amount of reblogs of people just entering contests makes feeds nearly pointless to scroll through. I get why creators do this, ofc, but I wish they'd opt for some sort of "comment to enter" instead, and maybe the "explore" tab could show posts with heavy engagement, so creators have an incentive to do that over the reblog giveaways. 

Yeah. 5 of the first 7 posts on my feed at the moment are reposts of giveaways.

Yeesh.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah. 5 of the first 7 posts on my feed at the moment are reposts of giveaways.

Yeesh.

Yeah, I'm hoping something changes to where in a couple of months I can go on there and see cool places my SL friends/acquaintances have discovered, their general musings, builds they're working on, a recent pic they've taken. 

But I'm not going to fault people for trying to win free stuff if the incentive is there, nor sellers for using this to their advantage as advertising (part of why I'm hoping that somehow gets tweaked).

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i can write any rule as TOS, but what is that worth when there's no legal status for the website than being a website?
What's the guarantee for all the gdpr and privacy rules? Do they comply EU laws, USA laws? .. 

To many blanks and not reading about control on that.

This is a good point. Also, all of the standard website footer information (terms, privacy, about, help, copyright notice, etc.) really should be on the landing/login page.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Yeah, I'm hoping something changes to where in a couple of months I can go on there and see cool places my SL friends/acquaintances have discovered, their general musings, builds they're working on, a recent pic they've taken. 

But I'm not going to fault people for trying to win free stuff if the incentive is there (part of why I'm hoping that somehow gets tweaked).

One of my reservations about the platform from its inception is that, as I've noted above, it was designed for bloggers in particular, and is fully integrated with the blogging software the same guy has created. So it's mostly about SL commerce really.

And there are people who will love it for precisely that reason, just as there are tons of people who read Vogue for the ads.

It's not, however, my prime inducement for adopting a platform.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Autocorrect
  • Like 4