How important is the day night cycle to you? Should SL just have constant daylight?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I tend to just run some customized variation on a Sunset lighting theme since I like it the most but I do like it when I visit places that have customized their lighting, I will always check "Shared Environment" just in case.

I find a lot of the daytime lighting in SL to be too harsh though, often doesn't look very nice.

I was just about to post the same thing. I use the shared environment when going to other places because sometimes there will be custom lighting. I think store owners or anyone designing a region should take control of their lighting and not leave it up to the default SL day/night cycle. 

A lot of the sky presets from the Library folder look harsh because they were designed for Windlight in the older SL client viewers. I just copied one of them and lowered the brightness to use as my new persistent lighting.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way for a land owner to change the sky by script, like they do in Open Sim, with OSSL.  Ask anybody who does theater or dance in SL, they will tell you they hate having to ask the audience to change the sky lighting for a show.  I have even been to dance performances where they ask the audience to change from morning to midnight to noon and back.  That should really be done with a script.  I mean, people should just be able to pick "shared environment" and have the shared environment change during the show, automatically.

Also, I was just watching 3 Body the other day (the Tencent version, not the Netflix version), and they had a VR world where the world randomly changed between chaotic and stable eras.  In chaotic eras, the sun rose and set and heated in unpredictable ways.  In stable eras, the sun rose and fell every day, as expected.  People had to be dehydrated and rehydrated and it was weird.  It would be fun to script something like that, though.  Maybe I could set it up with a dozen or so random, chaotic era day cycles, and one stable era day cycle, and change the sky in the land settings with the script.  If I could change the sky like that, I could also rez snow and change the season on my trees, too.  Maybe even set the trees on fire when the sun decides to get super hot during chaotic cycles.

The last time I checked, about a year ago, I could load a sky or a day cycle on an avatar with an experience, but I can't actually change it in the land settings, even if I own the land.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I was just about to post the same thing. I use the shared environment when going to other places because sometimes there will be custom lighting. I think store owners or anyone designing a region should take control of their lighting and not leave it up to the default SL day/night cycle. 

Yup, I especially try to remember to do this during Fantasy Faire, because some of those skies are just gorgeous!

Other than that, midday for inventory sorting or for creating, so I can see colors clearly, often sunset for relaxing and hanging out with people because it's soothing to me.

• Like 1

I enjoy the changes through a day/night cycle, so I like having that option available when I'm feeling in the mood to wind down and watch a sunset develop and then fade into night, or conversely, watch the world wake up during a sunrise.  It does seem at times, that every time I log in it's night time, but I did learn after my first several weeks in SL different ways to deal with that.  I think with all the options there are for creating day/night cycles, or creating static time day/sky settings, there are settings available for anyone's taste, pretty much. There is no reason that any of the options should be removed. 

I need all the settings, plus a few more. I love the changes and cycles people come up with and the scripted items that can work with the environments in the world. Magical. 
I love the ability to use a few quick clicks to set them for things like building but really enjoy the endless options to tune them for viewing. I’ll just sit and watch the longer cycles in some places at times too. 

IMG_7989.jpeg

• Like 2

I much prefer night because it gives a lot more lighting opportunities, but I also keep my settings set to whatever the parcel or region owner has it set to (unless I need to edit something), because that's what they designed it to be like.

Granted, a lot of people on SL don't know how to do game design properly, there various passes you are supposed to go through. One of which is lighting. People often will throw lights willy nilly, not configure their range and color, put too many or too few lights, or worst of all just use full bright instead.

However I think the day night cycle should stay by default, if it is too much of a bother just use personal lighting.

I like being able to see a sun rise or sunset and comment on it to friends. Without a common day cycle that would be impossible.

Midday is the worst of all the settings, harsh shadows, washed out colours... having that all the time is the worst idea.

• Like 1

To me, a day night cycle is "important" in the sense that, no, I'd not want to just have constant daylight. Usually, I just "take what I get, whenever I log in", and if I want to do something specific like take a photo, I fiddle around with the available settings, presets, or whatever they are called, myself, anyway. For me, some day night cycle makes SL feel more real and less boring than constant daylight would. I'd very much dislike constant daylight in RL, and not sure why I'd need constant daylight in SL.

If I could choose, I'd prefer a realistic day night cycle and also seasonal, mimicing my RL one, but that wouldn't make sense due to people from lots of places and timezones in SL. I'd be happy enough if roleplay sims provided "realistic" day night cycles, and changing weather, but even that is difficult, as some people would prefer "real time", others would like one SL hour represent 3 or 5 or... hours...

For going on solo shopping, exploring, and so on, the day night, seasonal, and weather cycle ideally would follow my rough geographic whereabouts, if with other people, it maybe should do some "average approximation", so we could all greet each other with the correct daytime greeting and complain about the same weather ;) if SL tech, computing power, etc., was capable. But then again, some people would like weather like their current RL one, others would rather see sunny skies when it rains for them IRL,...

As a marker, let's say, the SL day night cycle probably isn't important enough to me that I'd pay some constant separate fee for my favourite one. However, in very active phases, I might pay a few Lindens to have "RL matching" day time, weather.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

llSetEnvironment only works for entire regions, not parcels, so if you aren't a land baron, you can't use it.  Also, it won't take EEP environment assets, like llReplaceAgentEnvironment does.  With llSetEnvironment, you have to manually specify things like droplet size.  It's too tedious, and it takes advantage of exactly no EEP asset features.

llReplaceAgentEnvironment uses EEP assets, which is nice, but it only works on a single avatar, and only if they accept the experience.  Many will not, especially if the experience is just changing the light.  Also, do we really have to run a sensor and loop perms checks, just to change the environment?  That has to be the most inefficient way I can imagine to do this.  EEP is a parcel setting.  We should be able to flip the parcel setting with a script, and be done with it.

Unless LL changes something, it looks like the only way to change parcel level EEP environment settings in an automated way is to write a bot to do it for you.

Edited by Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia

I have some UFO-theme EEP day-cycles running at my home parcel, set to 24 hour cycle on my time zone (with Daylight Saving adjustment currently). Depending on what time of day I'm at home, various spaceships will be up in the sky. 🛸👽👾

As a rule, I go with whatever EEP settings a particular region or parcel are using, especially for art installations or events like Sci-Fi Con or Fantasy Faire. 👀 The only times when I'll manually override that is when it's too dark for me to see things, particularly when shopping.

Yes, the changeover of EEP settings when you cross from one region to another can be jarring at times, but on the other hand if I overrode and used the same EEP everywhere I wouldn't have discovered most of the day-cycles, skies and waters I use today. 🤷

I may be in the minority but I think there are some really nice Dawn/dusk and nighttime EEPs. Personally, on a well lit sim night time EEPs look better and bring out much more detail.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't game very much, so getting a really good gamers mouse, I have a lifetime of clicks to spare. Hehehe 

It's been my experience that 10 $5 mice generally last longer than 1 $50 mouse...

Plus you have the satisfaction of being able to throw them at the wall when they fail at just the wrong moment, without feeling bad about the cost.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's been my experience that 10 $5 mice generally last longer than 1 $50 mouse...

Plus you have the satisfaction of being able to throw them at the wall when they fail at just the wrong moment, without feeling bad about the cost.

Mine is a Logitech something or other, which was like around 100.00 or something like that.. I mostly just like the fit it has with my hand and weight and the buttons I want, right in reach of my index rather than thumb buttons or where ever else they put them.. hehehe

I went through just getting the less expensive ones and them not lasting.. So I went this route this last time just to see if  it was worth the money.. It has been so far, for me anyways..

The mid range priced ones, like the 50.00 ones, just seem more like bells and whistles and flashy than anything. they didn't last too long either.

• Like 2

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Mine is a Logitech something or other, which was like around 100.00 or something like that.. I mostly just like the fit it has with my hand and weight and the buttons I want, right in reach of my index rather than thumb buttons or where ever else they put them.. hehehe

I went through just getting the less expensive ones and them not lasting.. So I went this route this last time just to see if  it was worth the money.. It has been so far, for me anyways..

The mid range priced ones, like the 50.00 ones, just seem more like bells and whistles and flashy than anything. they didn't last too long either.

A good mouse is important, I use a Kensington Trackball with scroll ring....it is the GOAT of mice as far as I am concerned. lol

• Like 2

Just now, Modulated said:

A good mouse is important, I use a Kensington Trackball with scroll ring....it is the GOAT of mice as far as I am concerned. lol

I tried a track ball one time thinking, omg I really like this.. But I ended up hating it once i really put it into action at my desk. For me it would be really hard to make the switch to one of those..

I think it just felt like too much finger work or something.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used a mouse so much that I started getting carpal tunnel. I had to switch to a trackball years ago. I'm always aware of how often I have to click on things and SL is pretty bad with many clicks required to carry out actions. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I tried a track ball one time thinking, omg I really like this.. But I ended up hating it once i really put it into action at my desk. For me it would be really hard to make the switch to one of those..

I think it just felt like too much finger work or something.. hehehe

I've tried those, I can get along with trackballs but for some of the first person games I play with, it doesn't feel right for me.

What I do miss is the ball mice. Great for jumping moves, slide it quickly on the pad, lift the mouse and let the ball spin until it stops! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

My current gaming mouse from Redragon cost me $14 USD from amazon. I've had it since October, 2018. Still works like new years later, I have done some maintenance to keep it running. I have other cheap mice to use if the Red ever fails, but the sensitivity settings are perfect. I can change them based on whatever I'm doing at the moment.

I bought an R-Go HE large ergonomic mouse several years ago — wasn't cheap, but my hand and wrist thank me every day. :) 

Looks back, sees how far the topic has drifted... whoops!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.