Euro 24 - on SL!

The funny thing about Soccer is that America got the name from England. It transported from England to America and stuck here in America. I was a slang/nickname for Football but because it gained backlash by cutting into American culture, Britain changed it back to Football. The reason why Americans call it soccer still is because news was not quick to spread to America and Americans all adopted the term Soccer and had already made "NFL Football" a thing.

So, in other words, It is England's fault that America call it Soccer. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I just read in the paper that because of your and Zali's take on football, the UEFA has canceled the tournament. The scheduled games will be replaced by reruns of episodes of Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey. :D

They could broadcast MEDIEVAL RULES Football...

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Really? Apparently the best English food is Indian. Doesn't this mean you should cheer for the Indian team?

23 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hate sports, though, but I'll cheer on whichever team has the cutest players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

The funny thing about Soccer is that America got the name from England. It transported from England to America and stuck here in America. I was a slang/nickname for Football but because it gained backlash by cutting into American culture, Britain changed it back to Football. The reason why Americans call it soccer still is because news was not quick to spread to America and Americans all adopted the term Soccer and had already made "NFL Football" a thing.

So, in other words, It is England's fault that America call it Soccer. 

Football is of course the most logical name for a game in which the players mostly kick the ball.

Why we called American football "football" when players usually hold the ball and run with it or throw it through the air, while evading or getting tackled by the opposing team members makes no sense to me. What should American football have been called instead?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Football is of course the most logical name for a game in which the players mostly kick the ball.

Why we called American football "football" when players usually hold the ball and run with it or throw it through the air, while evading or getting tackled by the opposing team members makes no sense to me. What should American football have been called instead?

Why are you asking me that? I was just sharing why America uses Football and how it is England's fault.

They literally forgot to tell us "Hey, we went back to football." and America was like "....What, really? We made this sport called where you throw a ball and you run it to a goal.... you telling us this after we named it football because we still had soccer? Now It's too late, we can't stop the crowd... they already love American football now...."

If Anything, they probably would have named American Football as soccer and Soccer as Football if they corrected America before it all went down.

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

Why are you asking me that? I was just sharing why America uses Football and how it is England's fault.

They literally forgot to tell us "Hey, we went back to football." and America was like "....What, really? We made this sport called where you throw a ball and you run it to a goal.... you telling us this after we named it football because we still had soccer? Now It's too late, we can't stop the crowd... they already love American football now...."

If Anything, they probably would have named American Football as soccer and Soccer as Football if they corrected America before it all went down.

I'm not asking you specifically. I was just quoting you for context. I'm asking anyone reading the thread for suggestions on what would be a better name for American football. We in the US, can't call it "American football" because that sounds silly.

The ball has an unusual shape made for throwing it further. Maybe "diamondball" or "oblongball" then?  😆 How about "tackleball"?, or does that sound too much like "tickleball"?  Basketball and Baseball are named after the goal areas, so maybe "Postball"? Maybe we just should have called it "American Rugby"? 🏉 🏈 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm not asking you specifically. I was just quoting you for context. I'm asking anyone reading the thread for suggestions on what would be a better name for American football. We in the US, can't call it "American football" because that sounds silly.

I suppose if it were always called "NFL football" (which includes both AFC and NFC, who compete together in the Super Bowl), "NFL Football" would cover it.

Kind of like "FIFA"..?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

American Rules Rugby?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My favorite thing Ziva asked Di Nozzo in NCIS  was that question.  Why do you call it football when you cant use your foot on the ball?  

• Like 1

Games in which people kicked a ball around on a field have been around as long as there have been balls. Original football branched into Rugby and Football (aka Soccer) in England, then people originally from the British Isles migrated to Canada & from there introduced Rugby to the United States, which then created American Football.

We all have a historical basis to call all these games "football", but Americans should have picked a different name when they took out the part where they kicked a ball around on a field.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Games in which people kicked a ball around on a field have been around as long as there have been balls. Original football branched into Rugby and Football (aka Soccer) in England, then people originally from the British Isles migrated to Canada & from there introduced Rugby to the United States, which then created American Football.

We all have a historical basis to call all these games "football", but Americans should have picked a different name when they took out the part where they kicked a ball around on a field.

Similarly - TIL that  Rugby has it's origins from Native American games such as "Lacrosse".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

As an American supporter of an English Football team, that I'm aquainted with in SL almost invariably says...

"Hand-Egg"

The word for "Eggs" is "Huevos" in Spanish, and sometimes "huevos" refers to a certain part of the male anatomy. 

ETA: OMG - It's "balls"! We came full circle.

Ball is to Egg

as Egg is to Huevos

as Huevos is to Balls!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:15 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hate sports, though, but I'll cheer on whichever team has the cutest players.

I recall back in -- 2010 I guess? -- I managed to really annoy a lot of forumites who were posting in a thread pretty much identical to this one by regularly contributing a fashion critique of the team uniforms. I think, in fact, that I made predictions based on how nice the uniforms were.

Drove some people bonkers! Bwahahahah!

Ah, memories . . .

Yours is an equally valid criterion though. And maybe more enjoyable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I recall back in -- 2010 I guess? -- I managed to really annoy a lot of forumites who were posting in a thread pretty much identical to this one by regularly contributing a fashion critique of the team uniforms. I think, in fact, that I made predictions based on how nice the uniforms were.

I think you should do this here too 👍...as long as you remember to add a note about how they would also look in SL :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I think you should do this here too 👍...as long as you remember to add a note about how they would also look in SL :) 

I've just checked the MP. There is a surprisingly good selection of football uniforms, but none that I could see specifically for this round of the Euro Cup.

On the other hand, if you're an Australian footie fan, you're set for life!

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make the uniforms oneself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ah, memories . . .

Yours is an equally valid criterion though. And maybe more enjoyable?

Oh yeah, I've been guilty of that myself. The fashion critique! Back in high school, I was a HUGE fan of the Dallas Cowboys - only because I liked the team colors. Even went out and bought a jacket. 😆 I actually quit watching sports altogether after OJ interrupted the NBA finals I'd had my heart set on watching, tho (Knicks were playing and that was MY team!). Haven't given a single fudge about any sport since, I was THAT MAD. That teen angst hit different. 🤣

Speaking of fashion, though...I haven't seen much sporty gear in SL. The lack of real life team stuff makes sense for obvious reasons, but not even fake team sports jerseys and things. Seen a few being sold, but not many being worn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just checked the MP. There is a surprisingly good selection of football uniforms, but none that I could see specifically for this round of the Euro Cup.

On the other hand, if you're an Australian footie fan, you're set for life!

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make the uniforms oneself.

Since Ryan Reynolds owns Wrexham FC, and Ryan is Deadpool, would the Deadpool costume qualify as a football uniform for Wrexham?

• Thanks 1