Community Roundtable May 20, 2024

16 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Fear-mongers like Arielle claim there will be mass abuse reports of 50% of the female avatars in SL, she's dreaming.

Based on the number of Zindrans I've seen who seen noticed that the ToS had changed, let alone what the changes actually WERE. the fake-children will still infest and threaten Zinda.

I agree with you that it is only a small percentage who realize the implications of the ToS change but it is the virulent child hating bigots who can potentially do way more damage then the Tiny tots ever caused. Nothing like a few militant moral minority haters with an agenda to cause a platform plenty of grief as the recent scandal is highlighting.

11 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

The Tao of Linden, which was stated inside of the Video. It's very interesting and I like that they keep politics out of it.

https://philiprosedale.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/the-tao-of-linden/

This has changed over the years.

The most recent change was last week.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Tao_of_Linden

• Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

I don't think anyone is going to have to worry about mobile. I mean the whole thing sucks at the moment. They better step up their game if they want it to go anywhere. It certainly isn't, in any way, ready for public beta.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Don't see much of that Transparent and Open these days. No wonder they took it off the  list:

photo33.jpg

It is missing the long strand of hair under the "N" of linden, the reflection of a window above "Transparent", the ghostly hand above "and" it also is missing the reflection of fluorescent lights

Might Makes Right is entirely gone, but more importantly so is the smiley face.. wth Linden.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The learning curve is why new users don't log in twice, long before any of the other problems come into play. SL hasn't grown in concurrency since before 2009, way before the fees came into it and the expenses have dropped over time. The learning curve meanwhile just gets steeper and steeper.

Well he is the owner of the platform he has invested millions into it, so I expect him to say whatever will keep residents paying their tier and buying the content while at the same time try to better the reputation of the platform for other investors and business partners.

I been a heavy promoter of a mobile viewer since 2018, but with the hoops Apple is requiring, I feel they should just drop it or just make it a sideload that doesn't require their store. It is costing SL too much which I don't think the platform will see the benefit of.

I’ll wait untill firestorm releases a mobile viewer, considering what a hopeless mess the regular LL viewer is, i can’t imagine how much worse the mobile viewer will be…. but it will 😂

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I’ll wait untill firestorm releases a mobile viewer

You might be waiting a long time. The PC Firestorm viewer only exists because there is an open source desktop SL Viewer.

As far as I know there is no plans to open source the SL Mobile Viewer, and I doubt Firestorm team have the resources to make a mobile viewer from scratch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Problem as I see it is that SL can't retain new users because of its steep learning curve. Instead of dealing with that, thinks the way forward is tightening its lax Maturity ratings. That has up to now been one of its main selling features. With the new policies, they are losing that edge with no change to its learning curve.

This has always been a issue with SL.  I'm almost 14 years into it and there are still things I don't know, an I make it a habit to study and learn new things.  What LL needs to do is ether release a basic viewer or have a basic mode in the viewer.  

What do most people do in SL?  They shop, walk around, listen to music, and chat with other people.  Make a mode or a viewer that focuses on those activates.   Ether hide or remove the advanced build features, the scripting editor, and some other things.  Then simplify, simplify, simplify.   Remove menu clutter, rework some of the basic features like IM and group chat, and change the dialog of some of the more confusing requests and menu's.  

Simplify.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Great. That sure triggered my arachnophobia something bad this morning.  Up to 15% of the population has arachnophobia. A warning next time I beg you.

I promise, I will not post that image anymore.  But I do not promise that I will not show up to a community or governance meeting wearing it.   People are not begging me to do it anymore and now are coming right out and offering to pay me if I do it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

You might be waiting a long time. The PC Firestorm viewer only exists because there is an open source desktop SL Viewer.

As far as I know there is no plans to open source the SL Mobile Viewer, and I doubt Firestorm team have the resources to make a mobile viewer from scratch.

It would be lovely to have a Firestorm mobile app though in the near future like in 2026-2030. The Firestorm team have done an excellent job at the Firestorm viewer in recent years. They could start planning and go from there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I agree with you that it is only a small percentage who realize the implications of the ToS change but it is the virulent child hating bigots who can potentially do way more damage then the Tiny tots ever caused. Nothing like a few militant moral minority haters with an agenda to cause a platform plenty of grief as the recent scandal is highlighting.

One of our group posted a message to one of our discord servers that she received in world.  It was one of the most disgusting messages I've seen in a long time but it basically promised that the messenger was going to harass, threaten, and bully the user using the new rules in the TOS.     

I told her to AR the message as a threat and harassment.  I plan to bring up the message at the next governance meeting.   I'm sure they are aware of this issue, but I want to make sure they know it's happening.

• Like 2

I had a convo last night with someone about SL and basically SL is meant for the computer --- not a small screen.  And the Lab shouldn't cater to Apple and whatever big tech out there.  What's next? Apple saying "hey guys, need to remove the legs."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I don't think anyone is going to have to worry about mobile. I mean the whole thing sucks at the moment. They better step up their game if they want it to go anywhere. It certainly isn't, in any way, ready for public beta.

It's still early days like the private alpha phrase started in December 2023 and the mobile team have made good progress. It appears the adult regions issue is going delay things into 2024. I have been a tester since January 2024 and yes it's very basic at the moment but the graphics is pretty neat so far. 

The mobile team have alot on the mobile roadmap currently. I would guess public beta will be towards the end of the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Honestly i can’t imagine logging onto SL from my phone, to send ims maybe, but actually do stuff inworld? nawwwww

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

This has always been a issue with SL.  I'm almost 14 years into it and there are still things I don't know, an I make it a habit to study and learn new things.  What LL needs to do is ether release a basic viewer or have a basic mode in the viewer.  

What do most people do in SL?  They shop, walk around, listen to music, and chat with other people.  Make a mode or a viewer that focuses on those activates.   Ether hide or remove the advanced build features, the scripting editor, and some other things.  Then simplify, simplify, simplify.   Remove menu clutter, rework some of the basic features like IM and group chat, and change the dialog of some of the more confusing requests and menu's.  

Simplify.

LOL LL did release a basic version of their viewer years ago, so the noobs wouldn’t be overwhelmed. Took them maybe six months to realize what a disaster that was 😂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

It's still early days like the private alpha phrase started in December 2023 and the mobile team have made good progress. It appears the adult regions issue is going delay things into 2024. I have been a tester since January 2024 and yes it's very basic at the moment but the graphics is pretty neat so far. 

The mobile team have alot on the mobile roadmap currently. I would guess public beta will be towards the end of the summer. 

I'm not sure what kind of a device you are using but I'm using an IPad Pro *2nd Gen* running the latest OS of 17.5 that was just released.

I have yet to have my avatar totally rezzed no matter what settings I chose. I can log in and out about 4 times and most of it does end up rendering but parts of my body and my hair. The surroundings never do rez in.  So I'm not sure what "neat" graphics you are seeing!

I know that the IPad pro is a bit dated but Apple is still supporting it.  If SL thinks that people are going to buy the latest and greatest to run a mobile app that is laughable. 

My Ipad runs all other apps flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I'm not sure what kind of a device you are using but I'm using an IPad Pro *2nd Gen* running the latest OS of 17.5 that was just released.

I find it odd that I have less (apparent) problems than you on my new iPad ("Apple iPad (9th Generation): with A13 Bionic chip, 10.2-inch Retina Display, 64GB, Wi-Fi"), not an iPad Pro. Maybe "iPad (9th Generation)" is newer than "iPad Pro *2nd Gen*"? I don't know anything about iPads.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Simplify.

LL already tried that years ago. The correct term for the result is :

"Unmitigated effing disaster"

I've been listening to idiots prattling on about "oh the learning cure is too steep", and it isn't. Just about every game I ever played has more complications that using SL as a non-creator.

I've been listening to idiots prattling on about how SL "doesn't conform to the universal standard games UI" and there is NO such thing. Even the US Govt.'s attempt to trick parents into training their kids to be military drone operators, by having DARPA design a "universal games UI" didn't work as many games devs didn't adopt it.

Most of the failed signups don't leave because of the mythical "steep learning curve", as they don't stay long enough to even see what they might need to learn.

They leave because SL isn't "a leet MMO FPS with kewl guns and character skins", or because it's not "3D Tindr with hot sexy singles in your area" or because it's "full of really old people over 30 who are nearly dead!", or simply because they don't get plunged into directed "fun" within 30 seconds of creating an account, like some "normal" MMO game, or mostly because the whole "your world, your imagination" thing actually requires that new users HAVE an imagination.

They don't fail to stay because of the mythical "learning curve", they fail to stay because they are idiots with no imagination. Mobile will only make this worse.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I have yet to have my avatar totally rezzed no matter what settings I chose. I can log in and out about 4 times and most of it does end up rendering but parts of my body and my hair. The surroundings never do rez in.  So I'm not sure what "neat" graphics you are seeing!

I know that the IPad pro is a bit dated but Apple is still supporting it.  If SL thinks that people are going to buy the latest and greatest to run a mobile app that is laughable. 

My Ipad runs all other apps flawlessly.

Im using S24 and S7 tablet. Both run the mobile app well and I have 75mb broadband connection. 

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

they fail to stay because they are idiots with no imagination

I know you'd like to inject everyone with a lethal dose of be smart juice, but unfortunately we don't have any so we kinda have to work with what we're given.

Maybe there are things LL could do at the spawn, to give users imagination. I think defeatism can only lead to defeat.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it is going to be released to the public anytime soon, I think that by the time it hits the app stores(for public use not just premium), and SL itself has been adjusted to meet the multiple regulations of not only those appstores, but the laws of multiple countries and states - it will run on most modern mid range phones.

What do you all think, what year would you guess .. give an exact date!  The person who is right, wins a prim!  My guess,  November 21st, 2027

Edited by Istelathis