Paying Rebates For Marketplace Reviews

18 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The one that I know that does it, does it only with  customers that have the same product, but for a different body. Plus it only goes on for two weeks after the release of the version of the product..

They  want only honest reviews for the feed back from their customers.. I guess it helps with what may need to be updated  or what is working well.. things like that..

I am not sure how paying for reviews is getting helpful feedback. They could just ask in their group or Discord for honest feedback.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I am not sure how paying for reviews is getting helpful feedback. They could just ask in their group or Discord for honest feedback.

Because with reviews, it's between them and the customers not the customer and everyone else in there at the time.. Groups, you have to deal with the loyalists that are hanging in there to defend anything someone may say that would get them ganged up on..

Plus it's easy access to all your customers that qualify.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Because with reviews, it's between them and the customers not the customer and everyone else in there at the time.. Groups, you have to deal with the loyalists that are hanging in there to defend anything someone may say that would get them ganged up on..

Reviews affect product ranking and are still public. They are set up so the more reviews you get, the higher you rank when sorting by reviews, unless your reviews are really bad (less than 3 stars). When I get helpful feedback, I reward people with discounts or even free stuff. There are lots of other ways to reward customers for their time. You can even ask in the group and request they send a notecard with information instead of just saying it in chat. But I suppose there's no auxiliary benefits to doing things that way.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Reviews affect product ranking and are still public. They are set up so the more reviews you get, the higher you rank when sorting by reviews, unless your reviews are really bad (less than 3 stars). When I get helpful feedback, I reward people with discounts or even free stuff. There are lots of other ways to reward customers for their time. You can even ask in the group and request they send a notecard with information instead of just saying it in chat. But I suppose there's no auxiliary benefits to doing things that way.

I'm not a seller or anything like that. But I will say, asking for honest reviews while giving current customers a discount  for a limited time, is much better than how some sellers treat customers for giving honest reviews. hehehe

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The review is public, so it is not just between the creator and the customer. The issue of having to deal with others in a group could easily be solved by messaging the creator directly. I fail to see how "I will give you money if you review my product" gets more honest feedback in any way that is useful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

The review is public, so it is not just between the creator and the customer. The issue of having to deal with others in a group could easily be solved by messaging the creator directly. I fail to see how "I will give you money if you review my product" gets more honest feedback in any way that is useful.

It's in the public ya, but it's not real time like groups are and it is directly to the content creator and not having to have the fanbase flood the channel with garble and push what is said off the window. Some of them loyalists in groups chase people off at times from the group to the point that they quit the group..

Reviews have them sitting in one place that can be scrolled.

A content creator saying to IM them with feedback, especially one that is of any size with a lot of current customers, also with a new release they are wanting feedback on. Their IM's will cap more than likely and miss more feedback than was sent..

They could have people send in note cards i guess too, but how do they know they are even customers without having to check each one out from their records?

When they say leave an honest review, that could also come to bite them in the butt as well, especially if they've overlooked something that customers notice.

I'm sure there is lots of different ways to gather feedback. I doubt reviews is the only way they are using.. I know they've ran the product through beta testers, they have a discord and have a group. It could be that they are just using them all..

Giving a discount for a limited time, on a product that previous customers have purchased before in other versions, would more than likely get more feedback than them just buying the product and not having an incentive to leave a review.  I'm not sure how giving a discount would sway the honesty part of leaving a review.. I have a good feeling that most people that are not happy with a purchase, discount or not, are gonna probably be more than honest about how they feel about it.

There is a certain seller of a media product on the MP. The cost of the item is $L1,299 and they give a gift card to spend in the store of $1000 for an honest review.  There are 1727 reviews. 18 of them are 1 star mostly because they didn't realize you had to purchase media to play.  I actually purchased it when it was $L800 with a $L1000 gift card.

They make their money on the extra apps they sell and the media you must buy to use it.

In this instance I think it's perfectly fine.  The product does what it says it does and it works almost flawlessly.

It did what it was supposed to do. You buy this product for almost nothing and we sell you all the addons you need to get it working.  Smart marketing if you ask me.  

You want freedom, then you get this sort of thing, you want capitalism, ditto.  Anything else you need 'control'.

I gave up reading reviews long ago, not just in SL, but in RL too.  They are not worth the effort.  But 'personal recommendations', now those, when you know the recommender is honest, are gold dust.

My favourite tool in SL is one of the 'What's she wearing' huds.  I like what I see, then I look to see what I am looking at.  That and asking.  Asking is usually very good, and you might make a new friend...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

There is a certain seller of a media product on the MP. The cost of the item is $L1,299 and they give a gift card to spend in the store of $1000 for an honest review.  There are 1727 reviews. 18 of them are 1 star mostly because they didn't realize you had to purchase media to play.  I actually purchased it when it was $L800 with a $L1000 gift card.

They make their money on the extra apps they sell and the media you must buy to use it.

In this instance I think it's perfectly fine.  The product does what it says it does and it works almost flawlessly.

It did what it was supposed to do. You buy this product for almost nothing and we sell you all the addons you need to get it working.  Smart marketing if you ask me.  

I think I agree in principle with this.  But it depends on the honesty of the seller, if they make it clear that primary sale is just an 'enabler', and there is no value in it intrinsically. And this in turn means that the seller must have good communications skills, which is where, in a multi-cultural, multi-language, society like SL it all falls down - unless they are very very careful.  This is yet another reason to remember: 'no demo, no sale'.

On 5/15/2024 at 6:38 PM, Cristiano Midnight said:

I have noticed it is increasingly common for merchants to offer users a rebate of a portion of the price of an item if they leave a marketplace review. They never specifically caveat it as saying it has to be a positive review, but this form of paying for reviews still seems a bit shady. Thoughts?

On 5/15/2024 at 11:13 PM, Sid Nagy said:

Once I bought a boat. A few hours later the merchant contacted me and gave me even a bigger boat than I bought for free.

Man, that guy had great reviews on the marketplace.

It wasn't actually thoughts but a song that immediately populated my mind,

"...

I don't like your review (fashion ;)) business, Mister,

And I thank you for those items that you sent me, ha ha ha ha
The monkey and the prim (plywood;)) violin,

..."

I don't like it. I also disregard Amazon "Vine program" feedbacks (which, at least, are marked as such - but I'm under no illusion that there aren't tons of unmarked bought reviews, mind you). I've seen some shady review manipulation tactics even on Etsy lately. It destroys trust in and the want to buy on marketplaces, if not even marketplaces to some degree.

"Rewarding" past/loyal customers with rebate codes, after they already bought and reviewed something, is another thing, though, and fine by me, but what you're describing, no, don't like that, and would prefer if it expressly wasn't allowed on the SL marketplace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerCity Elf said:

It wasn't actually thoughts but a song that immediately populated my mind,

"...

I don't like your review (fashion ;)) business, Mister,

And I thank you for those items that you sent me, ha ha ha ha
The monkey and the prim (plywood;)) violin,

..."

I don't like it. I also disregard Amazon "Vine program" feedbacks (which, at least, are marked as such - but I'm under no illusion that there aren't tons of unmarked bought reviews, mind you). I've seen some shady review manipulation tactics even on Etsy lately. It destroys trust in and the want to buy on marketplaces, if not even marketplaces to some degree.

"Rewarding" past/loyal customers with rebate codes, after they already bought and reviewed something, is another thing, though, and fine by me, but what you're describing, no, don't like that, and would prefer if it expressly wasn't allowed on the SL marketplace.

oooh Leonard... swoons

• Like 1

I like the creator who gave me some store credit after I left a positive review on her marketplace store. This was not a written policy of hers to do that, it was just to say thanks. It created a lot of goodwill for me towards her store, and I have purchased more from her since.

LL should prohibit MP sellers from compensating reviewers based on the content of the review, and should ban violators from MP. Sellers should be free to offer compensation for leaving reviews, but only if it does not depend upon the content. Otherwise, they are bribing people to say what they want said.

3 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

LL should prohibit MP sellers from compensating reviewers based on the content of the review, and should ban violators from MP. Sellers should be free to offer compensation for leaving reviews, but only if it does not depend upon the content. Otherwise, they are bribing people to say what they want said.

How would LL know if this were happening?

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

This is exactly what they are doing.  Unless someone can point me to a product that says you will be compensated for a good review. I haven't seen it.

22 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Via reports.

Do you mean users reporting merchants? Or LL running cross-reference reports on purchases vs. reviews? Merchants could give in-world credits (not L$) and LL would never know.

Any review that was paid for isn't worth the bandwidth required to read it.

This is why I have asked for marketplace reviews to either be anon, or removed entirely. There is no way to prevent it being gamed or used offensively and offers zero value to end customers.

Honest reviews

• - this is indeed a product.
  •   - garbage and the creator should quit.

Paid for reviews

• - ZOMG LIKE, WOW, I MEAN, WOW ZOMG

Hostile reviews

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Any review that was paid for isn't worth the bandwidth required to read it.

This is why I have asked for marketplace reviews to either be anon, or removed entirely. There is no way to prevent it being gamed or used offensively and offers zero value to end customers.

Honest reviews

• - this is indeed a product.

Paid for reviews

• - ZOMG LIKE, WOW, I MEAN, WOW ZOMG

Hostile reviews

Like Real Life. :)

I'd like to see some youtube videos with the person demoing the item and reviewing them that way.  That's usually how I buy stuff in Real life by watching others use it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Like Real Life. :)

I'd like to see some youtube videos with the person demoing the item and reviewing them that way.  That's usually how I buy stuff in Real life by watching others use it.

True, but far too big an ask, technically and otherwise, for SL items, for anyone who doesn't have a YT channel for their SL persona or as a creator themself, anyway (and if those would be honest, even if demonstrating...) And think of our inventory sizes - imagine the time making a YT review of everything we buy on SL marketplace vs just clicking stars and typing a few words!

Coffee's nice list of honest reviews makes me wonder if a more objective set-up of the feedback system would be better, though, not as free text, or in addition to the free text, but categories to click or rate, "not/like advertised", "not/like pictured/images photoshopped beyond belief", "easy to use even for beginners/complicated/impossible to use", "would buy again if needed", "would recommend to my bestie/only to/not even to my worst enemy", "will need to contact the creator to figure out how to use it",...

😅

Edited by InnerCity Elf

24 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

True, but far too big an ask, technically and otherwise, for SL items, for anyone who doesn't have a YT channel for their SL persona or as a creator themself, anyway (and if those would be honest, even if demonstrating...) And think of our inventory sizes - imagine the time making a YT review of everything we buy on SL marketplace vs just clicking stars and typing a few words!

Coffee's nice list of honest reviews makes me wonder if a more objective set-up of the feedback system would be better, though, not as free text, or in addition to the free text, but categories to click or rate, "not/like advertised", "not/like pictured/images photoshopped beyond belief", "easy to use even for beginners/complicated/impossible to use", "would buy again if needed", "would recommend to my bestie/only to/not even to my worst enemy", "will need to contact the creator to figure out how to use it",...

😅

At least your response and choices are positive.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:17 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you mean users reporting merchants? Or LL running cross-reference reports on purchases vs. reviews? Merchants could give in-world credits (not L$) and LL would never know.

Yes, users reporting merchants. 

There is no system that can't be gamed by someone who is dishonest enough and willing to put in enough effort. However, making it harder to do will cut down on the chicanery. If LL were willing to do real enforcement with a draconian consequence for cheating, like banning the account, deleting or sequestering its inventory, and confiscating its L$ and USD balances, land, and in-world content, I'll bet it would deter most of it. As for workarounds like giving in-world credits, there are people, e.g., competitors and people who just don't like cheaters, who would be likely to document and report it if they expected their report to lead to substantial consequences.