Will The New TOS on Child Avatars Ensnare Short Adults?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

I am enjoying myself.

I'm trying to get others to ignore what others have to say about them because

what matters is what the one behind the wheel thinks.

At the same time, people do target you for being something they don't like. Just ignore them and have fun,

this is all that I am saying. Look, I'm at the beach right now, minding my own business.

fbcb9546ee63d652824a7044416338d5.jpg

Did you want us to comment on how that looks like an underage avatar?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

and speaking of out the door, everything that can possibly be said on this topic has been said and thoroughly discounted by those that think LL can do no wrong. I on the other hand think LL can do nothing right.

Not sure where you are getting that wide brush stroke of an  impression from someone just saying it's their house their rules..

Most of the stuff I was seeing was panic  or trying to cause one, more than common sense.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

Why haven't I been kicked out of any adult sims? also I want nothing from you.

There's no reason to kick you out. If there was, they would have. Owners can kick you out for any reason they want."; the TOS is irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's no reason to kick you out. If there was, they would have. Owners can kick you out for any reason they want."; the TOS is irrelevant.

And that's what everyone has been saying.  Even edge cases aren't getting routinely tossed out.  Will they get ARed?  No one knows but LL.  Will they get banned by LL or even warned?  Probably not.  Basically, business as usual for most of SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They haven't kicked me out because I don't look underage to them and there are others that look like me.

Kathlen looks my age in her pfp herself scept her head looks rounder, mine is more narrow. look at that.

48108d208ca6fe3d0d3244614368173e.png
https://gyazo.com/48108d208ca6fe3d0d3244614368173e

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Anyways, nothing is going to happen to you because of the way you look, unless you present yourself as a child by what you wear, say, act, how you express yourself in that action.

Wear BBG clothing all you want do what you do as an adult and nothing will happen to you Ignore people in the forums, follow to ToS and you'll be good.

Edited by Starberry Passion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sadvhi said:

Speaking of Mole sightings, the first time I ever saw a Linden Lab employee was at the recent meeting about the TOS. It was the most surreal (and slightly intimidating) experience I've had in SL to look up and suddenly see all these non-human avatars with blue text over their heads hovering in a circle surrounding all of us who were there for the meeting. I felt like a scene from some bizarre sci-fi film. I had no idea what they were doing there, I thought it was just going to be Tommy and Keira on stage.

The way you describe the Lindens reminds me of:

image.thumb.png.5774bbde23ecf2ab6a0579ce05a614df.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Sadvhi said:

And how on earth could any system detect an avatar's facial features?! 🤣

It wouldn't be to difficult to implement it.   Using Comfyui and controlnet nodes we can already detect facial features using AI image2image generation.  In my standard workflow I have a set of nodes that enhances the facial features from a sdxl model.  The technology exists, it would just me a method of implementing it.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
3 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

Idk about it, was just what the mod told me. Apparently Linden Labs visit adult sims, to see if anything is going wrong, from time to time.

It's false. Don't believe everything people tell you

Such confidence you have to call something false, based on your 15 years of club management and ownership.  

As a club manager and security guy I have seen Lindens visit our club, and not for social reasons.  They sometimes show up in response to an AR by some disgruntled patron, and even our staff.  They will come if griefing is serious enough and they have the staff available.  I doubt anyone has ARed anyone for being too short at our club, as we welcome all sizes of all avatars as long as they keep their pink body parts covered, and we are also M-rated, so height is never an issue.  We can ask child avatars to leave, meaning under 10 yrs old, but that is the club owners policy only.  We used to be worried about all the smoke in the air affecting their growth. And tummy talkers are a sure way to be ejected.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, I did. they said nothing about them proactively hunting down and "destroying" a*eplayers, nor will you find anything in Inara Pey's excerpts and summary of the meeting that says this.

Why they did say is that they are exploring "products and systems to help with proactive moderation" which will "help the team identify potential violations of the Terms of Service or Community Standards."

That is NOT the same thing as, to quote your post again, "becoming proactive to search out and destroy(ban) a*eplayers."

Speaking of "disinformation" . . . please stop scaremongering.

What exactly do you think automated proactive moderation tools look like?

This isn't scaremongering, this is an intrusive breach of privacy that can't ever know context. A magical black box with unknown consequences.

We have already found out you can be banned for talking privately in IM to someone far far away, with no reports, while wearing the wrong avatar.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Coffee also seems just a wee bit, nay, a tad bit, no..A LOT DRAMATIC.

If you two use each other for references, that would be interesting.

I've been moderating the SL reddit for many years, just sharing my lived experiences of people trying to get help after a ban. They can't come here love, they're banned, remember.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Such confidence you have to call something false, based on your 15 years of club management and ownership.  

As a club manager and security guy I have seen Lindens visit our club, and not for social reasons.  They sometimes show up in response to an AR by some disgruntled patron, and even our staff.  They will come if griefing is serious enough and they have the staff available.  I doubt anyone has ARed anyone for being too short at our club, as we welcome all sizes of all avatars as long as they keep their pink body parts covered, and we are also M-rated, so height is never an issue.  We can ask child avatars to leave, meaning under 10 yrs old, but that is the club owners policy only.  We used to be worried about all the smoke in the air affecting their growth. And tummy talkers are a sure way to be ejected.

No idea what you're talking about, bare sun little paradise is an Adult sim. I still go there. I'm still around the sim, literally just came from there.

(Oh sorry, I didn't see the false thing. I think they were telling me not to believe what the mod had said.)

Edited by Starberry Passion

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This isn't scaremongering, this is an intrusive breach of privacy that can't ever know context. A magical black box with unknown consequences.

We have already found out you can be banned for talking privately in IM to someone far far away, with no reports, while wearing the wrong avatar.

I've been moderating the SL reddit for many years, just sharing my lived experiences of people trying to get help after a ban. They can't come here love, they're banned, remember.

I thought your name looked familiar!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I don't disagree, which is why in a later post I noted that this development was potentially cause for some concern.

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We'll see. But I can't imagine how it could be used to "hunt down and destroy" child avis. How exactly would it do that? Using what quantifiable metrics?

And again, the potential for using such a system to pinpoint people they might need to investigate, which is how Keira described it, is not the same thing as LL going on search and destroy missions against child avis. Which was the leap that Arielle made in her post.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Missing words
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how a democracy of discourse survives without that fierce and fearless voice for freedom and truth. 

Who now will speak out for doeEyes482.resident when her man does her wrong??????

hayhahaaha.gif

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We don't know yet but we can guess.

Algorithms can search for specific word combinations in text - definitely in parcel descriptions and maybe in chat too. Even though we can't see private chat between other users, LL might be able to search both public and private text for keyword combinations that are more common in sexual AP. It could flag and save those conversations for a real person to check.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We don't know yet but we can guess.

Algorithms can search for specific word combinations in text - definitely in parcel descriptions and maybe in chat too. Even though we can't see private chat between other users, LL might be able to search both public and private text for keyword combinations that are more common in sexual AP. It could flag and save those conversations for a real person to check.

Yeah. I can imagine them checking for particular kinds of attachments in particular areas, and monitoring conversations for keywords (although that latter will launch an uproar if that's the plan), but even attachments would require them first to produce a database of designated "adult" attachments -- which isn't always easy to discern, and would be, to put it mildly, a moving target.

A really sophisticated system for "testing" for child avatars would be enormously complicated, and I'm sure well beyond anything feasible or affordable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.