So what changed in the Terms of Service?

2 minutes ago, Wincil said:

Im sorry to say if you can't tell the difference between adult and child then you have issues a height meter isn't always accurate.

I've seen three different height meters in my time in SL. Two are still pretty common and rely on different standards for avatar height. A third actually took the problem of SL vs RL meters into account. All were accurate to their method of calculation.

Posted (edited)

I deplore the abuse of anyone, particularly those with less power and so less able to defend themselves, and so I know every venue needs to do their part to minimize any depictions online that might contribute to the real abuse of children in RL.  And I know LL had to do something so that SL will less likely be seen as an environment that contributes to abuse (abuse in this case being a venue that allows depictions of the abuse of children).

It's a shame that some residents will have to bear the cost though. Many find experiencing their child avatars as fun and sometimes even healing. They are a fairly large segment of the SL population simply wanting the choice to live out their dream and do what enhances their lives.

All we can really do to make this transition easier is not witch hunt child avatars -- not go out of our way to report those who don't yet have the correct layers now required, but instead inform them of the new rules in the kindest way possible.  Also, we need to place the biggest focus on the people attempting to roleplay perpetrators who enjoy abusing children.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

If that was true then how is it that there are grown women who get carded all the time, with people believing she is a child? Also, people like Shauna Rae, she get's mistaken as a child.  She's 24 years old.

What about little people with dwarfism, they get mistaken for children all the time.

What about Dakota Skye, people thought she was a little child, she wasn't. she was 27 years old

Then what about Piper Perri, people thought she was a little child, she isn't. she's 28, people think she's a child for being 4'9"

What about Jenna Ortega, people on Twitter still saying "if you like this person, you're a pedo" she's 21 years old.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Assume getting kicked.out of a region for looking like a child the SL version of being carded.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok. But, can people defender skin and BOM layers?

Not as far as I know. I have looked at other avatars to see what they were wearing but the BoM layers were not listed. Maybe a CB viewer could but I've not tried that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lysana McMillan said:

I've seen three different height meters in my time in SL. Two are still pretty common and rely on different standards for avatar height. A third actually took the problem of SL vs RL meters into account. All were accurate to their method of calculation.

I wouldn't say it is accurate it's not people would go by different rulers and measurements of height. The red and white ruler isn't the only standard and most people just use the Firestorm height.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I deplore the abuse of anyone, particularly those with less power and so less able to defend themselves, and so I know every venue needs to do their part to minimize any depictions online that might contribute to the real abuse of children in RL.  And I know LL had to do something so that SL will less likely be seen as an environment that contributes to abuse (abuse in this case being a venue that allows depictions of the abuse of children).

It's a shame that some residents will have to bare the cost though. Many find experiencing their child avatars as fun and sometimes even healing. They are a fairly large segment of the SL population simply wanting the choice to live out their dream and do what enhances their lives.

All we can really do to make this transition easier is not witch hunt child avatars -- not go out of our way to report those who don't yet have the correct layers now required, but instead inform them of the new rules in the kindest way possible.  Also, we need to place the biggest focus on the people attempting to roleplay perpetrators who enjoy abusing children.

The sad thing is is that they will definitely go on witch hunts for anything child or childlike. It's going to be like before and childlike don't mean the same thing to everyone. So you're going to have every person coming after people in so many ways.

• Sad 1

Just now, Wincil said:

I wouldn't say it is accurate it's not people would go by different rulers and measurements of height. The red and white ruler isn't the only standard and most people just use the Firestorm height.

You want people to believe you're being intelligent in this discussion when you can't keep track of your own words.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok. But, can people defender skin and BOM layers?

No but you can derender a mesh body and why using a system skin with modesty baked in would work for anyone and any BoM enabled body.  Even if everything were derendered, the underlying system body would have the baked on undies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Assume getting kicked.out of a region for looking like a child the SL version of being carded.  

And yet it still doesn't change what I said about kemono. It's cute, slim, doesn't have much breasts, it's small so people will still find it to be childish regardless but still people do mistake others for children, happens a lot. I didn't say they shouldn't be banned, that they weren't kickable, i'm just stating facts.

• Confused 2

Just now, Lysana McMillan said:

You want people to believe you're being intelligent in this discussion when you can't keep track of your own words.

Well I am being intelligent unlike some other people again I can keep track of my own words.

5 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Has LL even told the creators what the modesty panel needs to look like

No. Everyone is expected to use their best judgement ...

This passes the buck to creators, who without guidance will just make something, passing the buck to their customers ..

Who will then have to hope it passes a subjective judgement call from a company that can't even email it's customers and plainly state "new rules for child avatars".

They sent an email updating everyone that lead with CHARITY EVENTS ... and then mention policy updates without actually saying a single word about what the updates might include.

"At Second Life, we are committed to creating a richer, more immersive, and safer environment for everyone........"

Meanwhile Linden social media is exclusively helping spread awareness about the previously  mentioned charity events ...

1. May is International Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E) Awareness Month
  2. May is Melanoma Awareness Month

There isn't even a link to these forums from their website, people have to go digging to find here .. which is why so few new people ever join in the forums.

No one is going to know.

Why is this so hard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

It isn't, people go by different rulers and measurements of height. The red and white ruler isn't the only standard and most people just use the Firestorm height because why not?

@Henri Beauchamp the maker of the Cool Viewer, gave away a free height meter, that's much better than the broken "red and white thing"

it's far more accurate, as can be verified by actually using a prim to manually measure your height.

Whenever I see somebody say "height meters are not accurate" I know that I'm listening to somebody who either a) has never seen anything but the red and white stick, or b) only uses the Official Fail-Viewer, or c) has NO IDEA how they things actually work, and what the actual limitations really are, and how one works around them.

Also, not everyone uses Firestorm, and you can't use firestorms appearance editor to check anyone's height but your own.

9 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

Heights are different for different measuring units

And there's a technically incorrect BS statement to submit to the Hall of Fame. Something's height doesn't change depending on the units used, all you have to do is convert from one unit type to another, it's not rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Honestly if people can't tell the difference between adult and child you have issues.  

It's not really a matter of not seeing the difference between adult and child, when child is less than 15-16.

The problem is telling the difference between a 15-17 yr old avatar and an 18-19 yr old avatar.

Most parcel owners will simply error on the side of caution and ban anyone that even remotely gives them the impression of being under 18.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

The only reason I see Linden Lab locking this thread is if people keep attacking each other, which is a very likely thing that will happen. It has become less of "What is changed" to fighting and discourse. Everyone can't even respect another's opinion or think about what someone else is saying, lack of sympathy and more of what just one person think is best.

I'm trying to sympathize with someone else and think about what they're going through and like 3 people are ready and willing to talk crap.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

@Henri Beauchamp the maker of the Cool Viewer, gave away a free height meter, that's much better than the broken "red and white thing"

it's far more accurate, as can be verified by actually using a prim to manually measure your height.

Whenever I see somebody say "height meters are not accurate" I know that I'm listening to somebody who either a) has never seen anything but the red and white stick, or b) only uses the Official Fail-Viewer, or c) has NO IDEA how they things actually work, and what the actual limitations really are, and how one works around them.

Also, not everyone uses Firestorm, and you can't use firestorms appearance editor to check anyone's height but your own.

And there's a technically incorrect BS statement to submit to the Hall of Fame. Something's height doesn't change depending on the units used, all you have to do is convert from one unit type to another, it's not rocket science.

"incorrect BS statement" what? 

Edited by Wincil

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Height is pretty much irrelevant.

So it is said but I think that remains to be seen. Likely that land owners would continue using height as the first determining factor when scoping out a new avatar coming in.