So what changed in the Terms of Service?

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

They give you a body that can be modified through a set range - part of that range will allow you to make it into a lumpy, sad-looking "child."

Just like The Big Spoon Company sold me a spoon that can be modified through a set range - and part of that range will allow me to make it into an improvised stabbing weapon.

But it's still my fault, not theirs, if I choose to do that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

In fact, the names of two of the very most "classic" pre-made library avatars are (wait for it...) "Boy Next Door" and "Girl Next Door."

Neither of which look like children, or humans for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

Exactly. While LL clearly don't want to ban child avatars, the existence of child avatars has no advantages for them and one glaring disadvantage. It's a net negative for the platform. They have no reason to actively encourage, or even enable, people to make child avis. 

I may be overly pessimistic, but I'm afraid that there will never be a way to prevent people from engaging in activities that are against the TOS due to the existence of flat/petite chest addons and the ability to modify the height of adult bodies to appear under the age of 18.

Even if there was a ban on child avatars, the offending individuals who used to wear inappropriate skimpy attire while roleplaying under 18 on those family nude/beach sims would probably just switch to an adult body with a flat/petite chest addon and continue doing what they were doing.

2 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

Just like The Big Spoon Company sold me a spoon that can be modified through a set range - and part of that range will allow me to make it into an improvised stabbing weapon.

So, the Big Spoon Company sold you a spoon with knobs on it that can turn it into an improvised stabbing weapon? Pretty fancy spoon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
4 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

So, the Big Spoon Company sold you a spoon with knobs on it that can turn it into an improvised stabbing weapon? Pretty fancy spoon...

What happened to, "I'm a big spoon, looking for my little spoon"?  'Spooning' used to be a wholesome thing!!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

.Look at it this way: I can go to a shop and buy a spoon.

let's go shop not for a spoon but in Lindens Marketplace, and instead of spoons we look for kids or -18 clothes/bodyparts .. and even while they will tell it are residents who sell there, LL takes a part of those sales, and allows all those listings.

How are they not providing the possibility for the mini version of adults?

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I thought the actual crisis was a false allegation of misconduct by Lindens posted by an anonymous source, which LL investigated and found to have no merit. Is there an additional “child avatar crisis” that has yet to be disclosed and is new? Is this really about EU laws?

This is one of the issues that set the little cute avatar community on edge.  Coming on the tail of this "scandal" it makes it look like they are punishing us for nothing.  A great deal feel that way.  It really was poorly handled by the Lab.

If these changes came out at a different time there would have been some grumbling from the little cutes, but we mostly would have accepted it an moved on.   

Some transparency on the Lab would go a long way.  We are not kids here and a few of us are older than those running the Lab.  We know a corp. smoke screen when we see one. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VanVox said:

I may be overly pessimistic, but I'm afraid that there will never be a way to prevent people from engaging in activities that are against the TOS due to the existence of flat/petite chest addons and the ability to modify the height of adult bodies to appear under the age of 18.

Even if there was a ban on child avatars, the offending individuals who used to wear inappropriate skimpy attire while roleplaying under 18 on those family nude/beach sims would probably just switch to an adult body with a flat/petite chest addon and continue doing what they were doing.

I think you sound more like a "realist".

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

We all know exactly what they mean. Some of us just don't like it and think complaining will make them change their minds.

They won't. Their priority is making sure that, if Daddy and Cutie Pie end up splashed all over the newspapers, they can plausibly say "We tried to stop them doing that."

I suppose if LL really wanted to do something, they could go after all the Daddy/Babygirl groups

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed stuff
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson nods and smiles.

Of course they did....

They give you a body that can be modified through a set range - part of that range will allow you to make it into a lumpy, sad-looking "child."

In fact, the names of two of the very most "classic" pre-made library avatars are (wait for it...) "Boy Next Door" and "Girl Next Door."

Somehow I don't think SL are too worried about nude pics of Girl Next Door.

517e23273d88ef5e254b64c01d6a2c46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

let's go shop not for a spoon but in Lindens Marketplace, and instead of spoons we look for kids or -18 clothes .. and even while they will tell it are residents who sell there, LL takes a part of those sales, and allows all those listings.

Expect a purge on the MP of the most obvious Non-ToS compliant Clickbait productss after June 30th.

But remember that griefing is against the ToS, but you can still buy a griefers hud named after a product they DID ban, on the MP, last I saw it was 2500, so LL made a $1 on every one a noob bought.

The reasoning seems to be summed up by the disclaimer one SL brand used to have on it's MP listings.

"This product is intended for [blah blah] but if you use it for ToS violating griefing and get banned, we MIGHT cancel your free lifetime updates!"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

let's go shop not for a spoon but in Lindens Marketplace, and instead of spoons we look for kids or -18 clothes/bodyparts .. and even while they will tell it are residents who sell there, LL takes a part of those sales, and allows all those listings.

They're allowing child avatars - for now, until the whining and TOS-lawyering gets too irritating for them - but they're not actively supporting their creation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VanVox said:

due to the existence of flat/petite chest addons and the ability to modify the height of adult bodies to appear under the age of 18.

Please  explain.

My 83 year old, 4ft 11inch tall A-Cup grandmother is quite distraught over learning that she is not now, nor has she ever been an adult.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Just think how much shorter this thread would be if people realized this is a legal issue and they stopped making up imaginary scenarios.

yes but it wouldn’t be as much fun 😬

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hogwash, without a picture of something "bad" or a chat log, any AR is just "he said/she said". Governance doesn't automatically act on AR's without evidence.

No, it's a real thing.  I've been a victim of several.  A while back, at a place where child avatars usually hang out a bunch TP,  said some offensive things in chat, and then just started ARing everyone at the event.    It's not the first time it has happened. 

On another note, I'm AR pretty regularly when I evict a troublemaker from an event.  They AR me just because a child evicted them.   

So, it's a real thing but you are right about the governance board not acting on them.   When someone does that I don't really worry.  Last one I told him, "That is Madi with a 'i'"  

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now here's an idea for the "legalists":  Ban suspect bodies / skins etc., only for users in countries where those items may be illegal under the laws in that country.  Silly, huh?

I don't want to touch the legal arguments with a ten-foot pole (though Flower does provide interesting context as to why that matters in the US, too), but I don't understand what this means. What are suspect bodies/skins and why would they need to be banned? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

Somehow I don't think SL are too worried about nude pics of Girl Next Door.

517e23273d88ef5e254b64c01d6a2c46.jpg

If you go to the scannnnadaaaaallllluuuuusssssss original Medium article that started the latest kerfuffle, at least two of the "nude sexeh, sexeh chillun" were default avatars. That's one of the reasons I figured the article was probably put together out of random piecesparts that were floating around for years rather than being an actual "investigative reporting piece."

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

but they're not actively supporting their creation.

that must be the reason that some flickr accounts went on blank very very recently. Those were loaded with that content.

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And...

Incoming DM from @Persephone Emerald asking for the LM in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Hahahaaha!

Nope. Why would I ask in  DM when asking on the forum has more comedic value? 

In fact, I was just looking on MP so I could provide a link myself, but sadly I did not find a blow-up unicorn avatar. 😥 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

This is one of the issues that set the little cute avatar community on edge.  Coming on the tail of this "scandal" it makes it look like they are punishing us for nothing.  A great deal feel that way.  It really was poorly handled by the Lab.

If these changes came out at a different time there would have been some grumbling from the little cutes, but we mostly would have accepted it an moved on.   

Some transparency on the Lab would go a long way.  We are not kids here and a few of us are older than those running the Lab.  We know a corp. smoke screen when we see one. 

Yes, absolutely nothing happened. That's why they're implementing lots of new rules.

:)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1