Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

As I predicted, the toxic comments continue here.  Now it is all about closing a thread that has a TOXIC title.  I made one post agreeing with Gopi to close the thread.  Look at what comes out of the woodwork now.  

Bye all - have fun.

Bye

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, although there are some things I don't like about AA, or wish they'd modify a bit, I've seen people change and have a fulfilling life again due to the love and support they felt in AA from fellow travelers..

Yeah I can relate to that. After the first 6 months I wanted to rewrite the Big Book too. It took the next 30 or so years to realize it is pretty much on the mark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For some it is the best way, for others it isn't. Discerning the difference requires wisdom and experience and even then it is prone to error.

Oh, fudge, the number of times I have said something really stupid here in the forums- prone to error is an understatement.  I've said mean things, too, and even tried to justify them.  

I'm sure most of us have crossed a line at some point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

my fellow forumites

travelers on this path of life

suspended 'twixt the real and the unreal

converging on a blended precipice of confusion

........to be continued

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Oh, fudge, the number of times I have said something really stupid here in the forums- prone to error is an understatement.  I've said mean things, too, and even tried to justify them.  

Tbh It's been very rare never that I have seen you say anything I thought was stupid or silly. Some things I might not have agreed with but never to a point of eye rolling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Tbh It's been very rare never that I have seen you say anything I thought was stupid or silly. Some things I might not have agreed with but never to a point of eye rolling.

Sometimes my meanness is subtle, but I knew it came from an unkind place.  Still, thank you.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, although there are some things I don't like about AA, or wish they'd modify a bit, I've seen people change and have a fulfilling life again due to the love and support they felt in AA from fellow travelers..

Yeah I can relate to that. After the first 6 months I wanted to rewrite the Big Book too. It took the next 30 or so years to realize it is pretty much on the mark.

I think it is pretty much on the mark in terms of how our mind's operate. My only problem with it is that I need to allow room for others who don't like the term 'higher power'. It's not a problem for me, personally, but it's confusing for others who see the need to finally take control of their lives and not let their addiction rule them, and so 'surrender' is problematic for them. I believe there are similar groups that don't use that terminology though, and are helpful.

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Only once if it's military.

I almost said that, you caught me!  By coincidence, I recently saw a video where a watchmaker was repairing a 24hr wristwatch. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think it is pretty much on the mark in terms of how our mind's operate. My only problem with it is that I need to allow room for others who don't like the term 'higher power'. It's not a problem for me, personally, but it's confusing for others who see the need to finally take control of their lives and not let their addiction rule them, and so 'surrender' is problematic for them. I believe there are similar groups that don't use that terminology though, and are helpful.

But that is the whole premise of AA. That taking control was not working for them. BUT, if you've never worked an AA program or had an addiction or have been married to one it might be hard to comprehend.  Not saying you don't but AA isn't built on that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

But

Yeah a lot of this is just semantics...people have trouble agreeing on terminology. The important thing is for people to find the help that works best for them.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

With respect to the OP, I suggest that many here just like to debate things. For example...

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

This is nonsense!

A less nonsensical statement would be "Even a broken clock is right twice a day, BUT only in a frame of reference that contains a working clock.".

Imagine you are in a room with only a broken clock. As you do not know the current time, you never know when the clock is right.

You may say "Bogus!", it's still right even though you don't when it is right.... just as a tree makes a sound when it falls and no one is round to hear it. But when THAT happens, you can deduce that it makes a sound because you can visit the fallen tree and do an experiment with another tree to see that such an occurrence makes a sound.

And so on....

Now back to our regular programming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

With respect to the OP, I suggest that many here just like to debate things. For example...

This is nonsense!

A less nonsensical statement would be "Even a broken clock is right twice a day, BUT only in a frame of reference that contains a working clock.".

Imagine you are in a room with only a broken clock. As you do not know the current time, you never know when the clock is right.

You may say "Bogus!", it's still right even though you don't when it is right.... just as a tree makes a sound when it falls and no one is round to hear it. But when THAT happens, you can deduce that it makes a sound because you can visit the fallen tree and do an experiment with another tree to see that such an occurrence makes a sound.

And so on....

A broken clock can actually be right 24 times a day. You just have to figure out a way to transport it to the place where it is correct :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I cross the line when I make a funny post directed at someone and they get all offended and report it for "harassment"

my fave post involved butt hurt cream and a whaaaaaambulance. No one has a sense of humor any more.

*shrugs*

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah a lot of this is just semantics...people have trouble agreeing on terminology. The important thing is for people to find the help that works best for them.

No semantics about it, surrender is the basic premise. Without it one doesn't even surrender to the idea they are alcoholic and that their life has become unmanageable. As long as one thinks they have a smidgeon of power to resist the first drink, they would not surrender to the need for the rest of the Steps to the degree necessary. Maybe one could find a different program that works as you envision but I haven't heard of one that was successful though that's not to say there isn't one.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I cross the line when I make a funny post directed at someone and they get all offended and report it for "harassment"

my fave post involved butt hurt cream and a whaaaaaambulance. No one has a sense of humor any more.

*shrugs*

26 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

This is nonsense!

And so on....

Good point!

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

No semantics about it, surrender is the basic premise. Without it one doesn't even surrender to the idea they are alcoholic and that their life has become unmanageable. As long as one thinks they have a smidgeon of power to resist the first drink, they would not surrender to the need for the rest of the Steps to the degree necessary. Maybe one could find a different program that works as you envision but I haven't heard of one that was successful though that's not to say there isn't one.

I've known people who simply got involved in something they love, went after it with a passion, and the desire for anything destructive simply floated away.