A Lab Gab ponderance ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The avatars don't make much difference to me, one way or the other. I don't enjoy watching people on TV sitting and talking to each other, so watching avatars sitting and talking to each other isn't high on my fun list either. I'd rather hear the conversation or read a transcript later. As Cinnamon and Ceka say, the important part of an event like Lab Gab is the content.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

All I want is for Strawberry to ditch those awful outdated animated cats that jiggle and distract throughout her show. They MUST go. 

Where there cats?
Honestly I never saw them. I use the Lab Gab as a podcast, when there are no subjects that require visuals, like the other one this month with viewer updates.

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Where there cats?
Honestly I never saw them. I use the Lab Gab as a podcast, when there are no subjects that require visuals, like the other one this month with viewer updates.

I didn't see any cats either.. hehehe

I was eyeing up those strawberries on the table though.. Those are about the size that I get each week.. I had to pause once to run and grab a couple of them, because they gave me the craving.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now with AI, you can also check the number of fingers to make sure the image wasn't enhanced by AI.

and movement too? That's a tell yes?  This what I meant by uncanny valley finger movement. before the top screen clip, that middle finger was folded all the way back against the palm....😬 <shudders>

image.png.721a377321e5e0f8f72b65eae493d458.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The avatars don't make much difference to me, one way or the other. I don't enjoy watching people on TV sitting and talking to each other, so watching avatars sitting and talking to each other isn't high on my fun list either. I'd rather hear the conversation or read a transcript later. As Cinnamon and Ceka say, the important part of an event like Lab Gab is the content.

I agree the content is most important, but the Lab sets these episodes of Lab Gab on YouTube.
So this represents Linden Labs communication style and technique from 2024 on that platform for everyone to explore and see!
Besides the content it showcases a broadcast production technique, that people would be ashamed of in the sixties of last century already: one camera and a never changing camera position. Wow amazing, state of the art. Let's find out more about that company and their software. Yeah, right.
Not real good advertisement or a reputation builder this way,  if you ask me.
A podcast would have been much better than this totally crappy visual stuff.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I agree, but the Lab sets these episodes of Lab Gab on YouTube, for everyone to see.
So this represents Linden Labs communication style and technique from 2024 on that platform for everyone to explore and see!
Besides the content it showcases a broadcast production technique, that people would be ashamed of in the sixties of last century already.

I'd imagine it discourages other media outlets from picking it up and publishing, too. I know part of the reason LL thrived from the outset was by bucking industry standards, and not saying they should stop doing that but at same time it only gets one so far.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I agree the content is most important, but the Lab sets these episodes of Lab Gab on YouTube.
Besides the content it showcases a broadcast production technique, that people would be ashamed of in the sixties of last century already: one camera and a never changing camera position. Wow amazing, state of the art. Let's find out more about that company and their software. Yeah, right.
A podcast would have been much better than this totally crappy visual stuff.

Agree. This is my issue, too. It's on YouTube next to thousands of other dev logs, presentations, showcases, etc.

If they were kept internal and simply tossed on the blog or website somewhere, I wouldn't even think to compare them.

I like the podcast idea, and those are very, very hot right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

A full podcast gives them the ability to expand to multiple platforms on web and mobile, though. Apple, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, etc.

Could do that with the current LabGabs, minus any video demos of new features. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

A full podcast gives them the ability to expand to multiple platforms on web and mobile, though. Apple, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, etc.

And .... with for instance a weekly about 15 minutes podcast, they could show case a lot.
Second lifes birthday announcements, upcoming mobile software, interesting Second Life residents, projects etc, staff interviews, development down the pipeline, the latest gossip, these forums ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Could do that with the current LabGabs, minus any video demos of new features. Easy peasy.

Yes, but the videos of the Lab Gab are the real bad advertisement, and should no longer be produced this way IMHO. Boring to death to watch and therefor way under par for 2024.

(If someone from the Lab reads this, sorry for my Dutch directness, but that is how it stands without sugar coating).

Edited by Sid Nagy
English... what else?
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hopefully they do.

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

And .... with for instance a weekly about 15 minutes podcast, they could show case a lot.
Second lifes birthday announcements, upcoming mobile software, interesting Second Life residents, projects etc, staff interviews, development down the pipeline, the latest gossip, these forums ...

That sounds like a fun idea, but weekly might be a lot. Maybe every two weeks. Monthly could work, too. Likely need a dedicated person or team to handle that.

• Like 2

I suggest the next Lab Gab has the interviewer and the interviewee seated on a carousel so they're spinning and bouncing up and down for the entire interview... or the switch rides halfway through and hit a roller coaster for the second half.  Pop the video camera into mouselook for the rest of the podcast. Those with vertigo issues will just have to turn off the exciting visuals.  It should all end with all lab employees vomiting their cotton candy into virtual trash cans.

Exciting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I suggest the next Lab Gab has the interviewer and the interviewee seated on a carousel so they're spinning and bouncing up and down for the entire interview... or the switch rides halfway through and hit a roller coaster for the second half.  Pop the video camera into mouselook for the rest of the podcast. Those with vertigo issues will just have to turn off the exciting visuals.  It should all end with all lab employees vomiting their cotton candy into virtual trash cans.

Exciting!

I understand your satire here, but:

Do you watch a 30 minutes TV shows where nothing happens  but to heads slightly moving and a few cats hanging around?
Seriously?
This is totally not showcasing what is possible in this field within Second Life.

Compare the Lab Gab with this for instance to see what is visually possible:

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Exciting!

I should be recording the next lab Gab. Not only would it be much higher quality, but it would be "A" rated as well!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Exciting!

Could do it like those TikTok/YT channels that put "find the weird stuff" in their videos, like an alien and devil cat behind the guy who is doing magic tricks.

15 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Exciting!

I love your idea. However, it would distract the viewer from learning things. Especially with someone like me, who has ADHD. I like the format now, I would be too interested in everything else going on and learn jack. If we were to do something like that. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Boring to death to watch and therefor way under par for 2024.

Not just boring to watch. Do you realize how hard it was for me to "closely listen" and annotate less than 10 minutes of the video (for an earlier post)? And I'm not really a masochist.

ETA: If poor Strawberry reads this, don't take it personally. Making dry info interesting is obviously very challenging.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I love your idea. However, it would distract the viewer from learning things. Especially with someone like me, who has ADHD. I like the format now, I would be too interested in everything else going on and learn jack. If we were to do something like that. 

They could sneak stuff past us more easily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.