Why do so many new players not get the inventory system?

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The follow-up vidss contain real comedy gold.

Gen Z's answer questions such as

"What is the capital of Chicago" - "Los Angeles"

"3 x 3 x 3 = ?"  - "36"

"What state is Utah in" - "I don't know history stuff"

Are we sure we want these people in SL, are they RELLY the future?

Who is teaching these kids! That is where the responsibility lies.

50 minutes ago, Orwar said:

- that we can't rename no-mod stuff even for our own inventory displays is also pretty silly. And that modifiable stuff with no-mod components can only be renamed if you rez it first.

Yes renaming items alone makes organizing the inventory simpler. I see that in Opensim where we get around the no-mod thing pretty easy and do just to make items easier to sort.

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm very confused how someone would go through high school and college/university without ever needing to work with files/folders. Between writing papers, making presentations, creating and working with image files, retouching photos, creating ads/catalogs/book covers/brochures, digging through databases/spreadsheets, editing video files, doing field recording and foley, recording/mixing/mastering audio and music projects, writing and editing resumes and cover letters, navigating through emailed docs and PDFs when classes were missed, prepping files for professional printing, creating an entire professional portfolio, etc., I had my face in folders hunting for files damn near 24/7. Granted, I was a design and media major, but the business majors were always buried in their laptops, as well. 

Are we just not writing and working with media and docs in school anymore orrrr...? 👀

Imagine if you will a Documents folder filled with hundreds of documents with obscure names only the creator understand and can only be found via searching. They understand files, but they don't organize them into folders. Instead of browsing to /2024/final paper/science they just search "final paper 2024 science" and it's all thrown into a huge folder with zero sub folders.

It's not surprising since search has gotten so much faster (don't want to show my age lol) on a computer. But it's a direct lack of any sort of organizational skills. If they need an attachment they either don't even bother downloading it and just view it from the inbox each time, or it gets thrown into a giant unorganized folder called downloads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm very confused how someone would go through high school and college/university without ever needing to work with files/folders. Between writing papers, making presentations, creating and working with image files, retouching photos, creating ads/catalogs/book covers/brochures, digging through databases/spreadsheets, editing video files, doing field recording and foley, recording/mixing/mastering audio and music projects, writing and editing resumes and cover letters, navigating through emailed docs and PDFs when classes were missed, prepping files for professional printing, creating an entire professional portfolio, etc., I had my face in folders hunting for files damn near 24/7. Granted, I was a design and media major, but the business majors were always buried in their laptops, as well. 

Are we just not writing and working with media and docs in school anymore orrrr...? 👀

I suspect it a case of "use it or lose it". They might have learned it back in school but after graduating didn't continue using something that required it. So many out there afraid to even touch anything more then the basic functions of an operating system in case they break it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Imagine if you will a Documents folder filled with hundreds of documents with obscure names only the creator understand and can only be found via searching. They understand files, but they don't organize them into folders. Instead of browsing to /2024/final paper/science they just search "final paper 2024 science" and it's all thrown into a huge folder with zero sub folders.

It's not surprising since search has gotten so much faster (don't want to show my age lol) on a computer. But it's a direct lack of any sort of organizational skills. If they need an attachment they either don't even bother downloading it and just view it from the inbox each time, or it gets thrown into a giant unorganized folder called downloads.

There's a difference between saying "they don't organize" and "they can't organize." I'm naturally an aggressively disorganized person, but I became organized in certain aspects of my life - especially when I'm responsible for complicated projects - when my own disorganization whupped my own butt.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

That totally makes sense, but the comment about having no idea how directories work at all is baffling to me. There were times we'd have to navigate to a folder the teacher made his or herself for a specific class on a specific drive to grab source files to work on - surely that's still a thing. Not to mention the File button on the left-hand side of the top navbar is standard on every single piece of software I've ever used, regardless of the type (you'll be opening files in Logic Pro and Adobe InDesign the same way you open files in Excel).

Bad organization of files is a whooooole other issue and yeah, that absolutely presents itself in real life and definitely in SL (scoots her shameful SL Objects folder under the bed). But never touching directory systems at all seems a bit...sus. I'd demand my tuition back!

• Like 1

Left out of some discussions is, if you don't know where a thing is in your inventory, you can start to type its name..and the inventory window will show you where it is (and all its copies/links).  

Same with the "wearing" view..

Gee, how friggin' hard can it be?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I suspect it a case of "use it or lose it". They might have learned it back in school but after graduating didn't continue using something that required it. So many out there afraid to even touch anything more then the basic functions of an operating system in case they break it.

Sure, and I'd believe that if they never held a job ever (unless they're, ya know, doing something not at all computer-related, like restaurant/bar work). I'd imagine an MBA might be aiming to work in a professional office/healthcare/etc. environment in one field or another, though, if they don't already.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Left out of some discussions is, if you don't know where a thing is in your inventory, you can start to type its name..and the inventory window will show you where it is (and all its copies/links).  

Same with the "wearing" view..

Gee, how friggin' hard can it be?

Another useful thing - I ride herd over several accounts, all of whom can play multiple characters. (Sometimes MANY characters. Don't judge me.) So if I think something like "What about Mehitabel's hair, but blonde?" I can go to Mehitabel's oufit, select her hair and then pick "Show in Inventory" and find it that way. (And yes, there is a Mehitabel. She's an Edwardian aviatrix.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Sure, and I'd believe that if they never held a job ever (unless they're, ya know, doing something not at all computer-related, like restaurant/bar work). I'd imagine an MBA might be aiming to work in a professional office/healthcare/etc. environment in one field or another, though, if they don't already.

It is sort of what happened with me in that I was in college learning Cad Cam in the 1980's where I learned about it and then after school was over was in the catering industry.  I picked up a personal computer in early 2000 for a hobby and then started to learn/relearn about directory structures when I started playing with gaming servers. I have brother who instead of computers used the gaming consoles and as such never had to learn or use file structures.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is sort of what happened with me in that I was in college learning Cad Cam in the 1980's where I learned about it and then after school was over was in the catering industry.  I picked up a personal computer in early 2000 for a hobby and then started to learn/relearn about directory structures when I started playing with gaming servers. I have brother who instead of computers used the gaming consoles and as such never had to learn or use file structures.

True, that does happen, but I'm not sure exactly how common that is overall. At least here, MBAs are post-grad degrees professionals typically go back to school for (sometimes in their 30s or later) in order to qualify for promotions at their current companies. Some of the more generous corporations might even offer to pay for all or some of it, if you schmooze enough. I've had a manager who did that, for example, so he could progress into higher-paid management roles down the road. 

Not to drag this thread off-topic or anything, but I just find it difficult to believe companies aren't using file structures anymore and an entire population of people aren't using computers at school and/or work, which is leading to SL inventory confusion here. I mean it's possible - I have been freelance for years now, but I spent a long time working in offices across several industries and businesses are so slowwwwww to upgrade their hardware/software/tech, I wouldn't be surprised if some are still running on Win XP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

True, that does happen, but I'm not sure exactly how common that is overall. At least here, MBAs are post-grad degrees professionals typically go back to school for (sometimes in their 30s or later) in order to qualify for promotions at their current companies. Some of the more generous corporations might even offer to pay for all or some of it, if you schmooze enough. I've had a manager who did that, for example, so he could progress into higher-paid management roles down the road. 

Not to drag this thread off-topic or anything, but I just find it difficult to believe companies aren't using file structures anymore and an entire population of people aren't using computers at school and/or work, which is leading to SL inventory confusion here. I mean it's possible - I have been freelance for years now, but I spent a long time working in offices across several industries and businesses are so slowwwwww to upgrade their hardware/software/tech, I wouldn't be surprised if some are still running on Win XP.

I think part of it that Search engines have become much more efficient that instead of drilling down manually to the proper directory and file folder, people are using tools like Everthing https://www.voidtools.com to just find it automatically. It is especially useful if one has files and folders over multiple drives including networked ones. Unless I know very specifically where something is, I'm faster using it to pinpoint its location but it has the downside that its search stops me from seeing it's path unless I specifically ask for it. So yes, one's own laziness has part to do becoming unfamiliar with the directory structures too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Maybe gaming on consoles instead of PC Computer has stunted their file management development.  Lol

Yes I have no doubt about that and the longer he used them the less interested he became in using anything that did require the knowledge. A platform like SL would be an absolute no for that reason, even if there were aspects of it he liked.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think part of it that Search engines have become much more efficient that instead of drilling down manually to the proper directory and file folder, people are using tools like Everthing https://www.voidtools.com to just find it automatically. It is especially useful if one has files and folders over multiple drives including networked ones. Unless I know very specifically where something is, I'm faster using it to pinpoint its location but it has the downside that its search stops me from seeing it's path unless I specifically ask for it. So yes, one's own laziness has part to do becoming unfamiliar with the directory structures too.

Couple issues with that -

1) Installing that (or any other external software) on a work PC is a huge challenge to overcome. Good luck convincing an overly protective IT dept. They will beat you down for even suggesting it, like hey lemme just install this one thing I promise I'm not gonna break nuffin it's just...*BAM*

So even if you're using that shortcut in your own personal time, you likely aren't playing with that at work, unless you ARE the IT dept.

2) SL also has the inventory search (at least in Firestorm and BD, don't ask me about the official viewer), which essentially functions the same way as long as you can remember at least one word in your desired item's name.

3) A fresh SL inventory (which I assume a newbie will be working with unless they go absolutely HAM on Day 1) is actually pretty small, so anything they put anywhere will be fairly easy to find. It's us returning oldbies with 150,000+ items (half of which are shoes with invisiprims DON'T JUDGE ME I'm working on it!) that have to get our ish together and learn to organize properly.

Now that all said, Arielle, I DO agree with you that the current system needs a whole refresh and I'm not overly fond of SL's file system myself (I'm so so so used to other games that have figured out a better way), but I'm not buying that the friction is being caused by adults who never touched files before. I'm sure they HAVE, they likely just hate working with them - which is totally valid, lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was replacing my winter trees with spring trees last night.  The trees I was looking for were named: 

"MK-BT Bo Maple M1 v1-1a tf-3a derived 1 DBsp1" and "MK Ultimate Sc M7 v2-0 tf-4 DBsp1"

So I must remember to search for DBsp1 when looking for these trees using search.

As it is, the trees were in my Landscaping/Trees/Spring/designer name  subfolder, although I still had to rezz several trees to find the right ones.

Using SL search would be useless, with my 100K inventory of landscaping objects.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I was replacing my winter trees with spring trees last night.  The trees I was looking for were named: 

"MK-BT Bo Maple M1 v1-1a tf-3a derived 1 DBsp1" and "MK Ultimate Sc M7 v2-0 tf-4 DBsp1"

So I must remember to search for DBsp1 when looking for these trees using search.

As it is, the trees were in my Landscaping/Trees/Spring/designer name  subfolder, although I still had to rezz several trees to find the right ones.

Using SL search would be useless, with my 100K inventory of landscaping objects

Use the inventory preview option to.show what the trees look like without having to rez them.  You could have also put the MK-BT tree folder into another folder named Maple Trees?

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Use the inventory preview option to.show what the trees look like without having to rez them.  You could have also put the MK-BT tree folder into another folder named Maple Trees?

There were no textures from this tree designer.  I rez these trees about every 2 years, so no way am I going to rezz all 1000 of my trees to add a snapshot for the new preview option. I really dislike the preview option - all it does is delay the opening of my inventory window.  If there is a texture in the folder, I can look at it with one click.  Most of my landscape objects have no textures included.

The preview would not help me find a designer personal code name either.  Only one of the 3 trees I needed has Maple in the name.  My answer was to use subfolders  like I been doing since 1978.

I find many items are mis-spelled by the designers too.  Some because they are not English speaking creators, and use the spelling for Austria or whatever.  And some just can't spell even if they speak English.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

3) A fresh SL inventory (which I assume a newbie will be working with unless they go absolutely HAM on Day 1) is actually pretty small, so anything they put anywhere will be fairly easy to find. It's us returning oldbies with 150,000+ items (half of which are shoes with invisiprims DON'T JUDGE ME I'm working on it!) that have to get our ish together and learn to organize properly.

Type "invisi" in inventory search. Then delete everything that shows up. - Save favorite old shoes if you wish. Delete the separate invisiprim and use an alpha cut or layer instead. (I still keep a favorite pair of sculpted "Barnacle Heels", even though I'll never wear them.)

• Like 1

The 'workaround'  for no mod names.   While imperfect helps with the confusing / garbled / special character / misspelled / other language names.     

In the folder with the item make a notecard.    Name the notecard with enough of the Item in question's name to make it unique.  Use // as a separator.  Add your own personal searchable descriptors.

To copypaste a no mod items name:   Right click >  Properties, to grab the name.

--  Sure now the final end user can add w/o upload fee an inventory only viewable image to a no mod item,  but seems the ability to add inventory only searchable text was ....  Um?   

• Like 1

When I was 2 months old here in SL, I couldn't find anything in my inventory.  I had so much in my objects folder I was overwhelmed.  I figured if I was going to continue, I must organize this mess.  I took a class one of the building groups offered at the time, and boy, did that change my SL world.  I have maintained my inventory now for almost 14 years.  The system I have created works for me and keeps me organized.  As it stands, I have 37,000 items in my closet.  I keep all my home and garden organized in boxes, and all original clothing/accessories purchases are stored similarly.  Now, if I kept all that in my closet, my inventory would increase to 250,000 easily.  Taking care of your inventory is a daily chore if you want to stay organized.  Most residents don't want to take an hour, hour and a half total doing this.  But spending that time each day or when you log in goes a long way to getting your closet/inventory organized.  One just needs the desire to start and stay at it.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 5:02 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Who is teaching these kids! That is where the responsibility lies.

Nope.
Teaching is only possible to the willing and the ones that have enough capacity.
The first can maybe (a big maybe here) fixed by the parents. The latter is only possible on another level.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1