You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried to do some modelling, One or two people made comments about my body (Slink Hourglass) looking old, Plus the shop discontinued it. So i upgraded to legacy, But i kinda preferred my old shape and had waaay more clothes and skins for that body too. Is it THAT noticeable if i go back to it? I've seen plenty of Avis lately that look more "basic" than mine did. Or should i just stick with legacy and move on?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AmyPinkLegend said:

I tried to do some modelling, One or two people made comments about my body (Slink Hourglass) looking old, Plus the shop discontinued it. So i upgraded to legacy, But i kinda preferred my old shape and had waaay more clothes and skins for that body too. Is it THAT noticeable if i go back to it? I've seen plenty of Avis lately that look more "basic" than mine did. Or should i just stick with legacy and move on?

Unfortunately, it's not merely that Hourglass is "outdated" -- which, I suppose, it is. It's that the creator who made it, Slink, has now entirely left SL, and has removed all of her products for sale. That means no more support, no updates, and almost no one is actually making new clothing for that body.

Now, if you like the body, and don't mind that you'll have a very difficult time fitting new clothing to it, that's fine. I don't think that Hourglass looks particularly outdated, although it's probably not as "nice" as some new bodies. But if you want a body that will continue to receive support, updates, and so forth, you'll have to move on.

Legacy makes a very nice body (although there are issues with it), but it's not really the same kind of body shape as Hourglass. Can I suggest that you demo EBody's "Reborn," which is in some ways pretty close to Hourglass, and is also pretty well supported and popular?

• Like 4

I think the key here is you said you tried to do some modelling.  If you are going to do anything to do with fashion in sl .. hourglass is outdated.  It's still a good looking body with plenty of clothes that look good if you have them.. but in most situations won't work for modelling.

I second the Reborn suggestion because of how much support it has. If it's the big butt turning you off there are deformers that will help reign that in.. as well as working with your shape.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AmyPinkLegend said:

I'd consider Reborn - one of my alts used Hourglass but now that its no longer supported by either Slink themselves or any clothing creators, she needed a body to replace it and Reborn gave the closest match to her Hourglass shape. So she now wears Reborn for new outfits, and switches back to Hourglass to wear older ones.

But if you've already bought Legacy it would be a shame to waste it - you might not be able to get the same shape with it, but nevertheless it's widely suported by most clothing creators.

• Like 2

If you're not involved in fashion photography/blogging/roleplay you can wear whatever you like; no need to give up all your favourite outfits just because they're a few years old. There's nothing to stop you reverting to Hourglass when you're off duty and reserving Legacy for new clothes and/or hanging out with judgey fashionistas. In practice, most people outside the fashion world won't notice or care exactly which mesh body you're using, as long as you're wearing one.

• Like 3

My thought is that Reborn is the body for the 'popular' models and bloggers in SL.

It also has a lot of addons like juicy and squishy parts, that many seem to love.

Your Hourglass is totally perfect for you, unless you are in the model, blogger or Flickr community and will model a curvy shape. Then you meet the people who always have the latest apparel and accessories, and look down on people who don't. If they can not buy things in the events for it, it is not 'good'.

And since Slink has left SL and Reborn is the hot body for curves now, creators has dropped Hourglass.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:58 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

But if you've already bought Legacy it would be a shame to waste it - you might not be able to get the same shape with it, but nevertheless it's widely suported by most clothing creators.

Which actually makes it quite ideal for anyone looking for fashion modeling gigs. If you have the bodies they're making stuff for, you'll have more opportunities modeling for them.

This is, of course, assuming that you weren't applying for work as a mesh modeler in Blender, and just happened to apply at a place that insists you look all glamorous while uploading meshes. If it's that, well, someone else will probably have a better answer than I could offer.

• Like 2

@AmyPinkLegend Slink use is on the way out. I am definitely a Slink fan. The Redux bodies were/are the technology leaders providing low ACI and low script count while providing a wide collection of tools for working with the body. BUT... if you never got the tools... there is no legal way to get them.

Whoever told you the body looks old... its in their head. I suspect if you don't tell them which body you are wearing and they don't use a "What Is She Wearing?" they won't be able to tell which body you are wearing. .

However, now that we have PBR rendering in SL Viewers and other 3rd party viewers are adopting PBR we will see clothes designers start to take advantage of that tech. Which means the clothes on Slink bodies WILL start to show their age.

I think Belliza and Maitreya LaraX are the the most similar to Slink Hourglass and Original.

While I still mostly wear my Slink bodies and still buy some new clothes for them I am shopping more and more for LaraX. I sort of boycott Belliza because they are restrictive in who they will allow to make clothes for them. ppppffftthh!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.