What is the split of SL users between RL Nations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think the discussion is silly when it goes into "where are the Italian villas, where are the UK Tudors, those don't look Mediterranean, those don't look like Ranch houses to me", etc.

Very, very, silly.

IMHO. (Make it yours!)

There is always the option to just ignore threads that are no longer interesting for one self, right?
IMHO of course. ;)

I leave a lot of threads for what they are and ignore them, if I'm not or no longer interested in the discussion that unfolds in them. A daily routine for most of us I assume.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, JordonBanks said:

Anyone know..or could guess what if the split of SL users, in term of their RL countries.  Does this info exist?  eg - is it like

60% USA....
20%... EU......
5%.... Japan
5% India ...
9% UK....
1% Australia...
0% China

Linden Lab doesn't publish these numbers.
They are the only ones who roughly know in this VPN age.

So what other sites publish is nothing more than their puzzling result. No more than an educated guess at best.
That's why we see different numbers on each and every site that reports them.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 1:58 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

New Orleans French Quarter theme.

Shotgun houses for 512m parcels:

image.thumb.png.a855e9e273c9667d8f1b64fdeb6c7d71.png

2-story houses with balconies for 1024 m parcels:

image.png.93756d038fb810f00a8fa193b7216d04.png

Possible larger, Garden District houses for 2048 m parcels in adjacent regions.

I started this thread a while back for discussing future Linden Home themes.

I think New Orleans inspired would be a great urban theme, not grungy, just homes closer together. I want to take back my 2048 m suggestion though. The lower picture above is a garden district home, so these seem perfect for 1024 m parcels, whether those are square or rectangular, as with the Houseboat theme. 

I still love the idea of 512 m Shotgun houses, but 512 m homes don't seem to have been very popular. Also, rather than mixing 512 m parcels among 1024 m ones, I think they'd look better in their own regions near the 1024 m Garden District homes. As mentioned above however, more densely spaced homes risk creating more lag. 

I continue to advocate for areas within the Linden Home regions that look like business zones, but are not functional businesses. - In Sakura there should be market stalls near the main harbor. The big empty space in the middle of the Traditionals could be a town square. The mostly empty Chalet homes could use a European-style shop & market area. The Ranch Community region could have a grange hall, general store, feed store, barbershop, beauty salon, coffee shop, and maybe even a bar.

p.s.

A Southern home region should also include a Bayou area, but 2048 m plantation-style homes seem potentially problematic to me for "political" reasons. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add p.s.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

US style residential housing zones (like the ones found in SL) are a totally alien concept in most of Europe. In fact, most countries outside of the US don't have the rigid housing only, commercial only, business only or industrial only zones - they all exist mixed in together.

The US has a very "Sim City" videogame style of building their cities and communities, they plan and build specific things in specific zones on specific square grids miles and miles apart from each other, linked only by huge highways, little public transport, no bicycle routes, or even pedestrian walkways. European style communities and culture could not exist with this US model.

Mixed-use planning laws exist in European cities, which allows a multitude of different things to all be built together in a smaller area, where they would never be permitted in the US, because of the US's overly rigid zoning laws.  Mixed-use planning laws allows European people to live, work, find entertainment and culture all within very short distances and decreases the need to drive or even own a car.

It's not just the individual country sizes or age differences which form the planning models used in the two continents either, their cultures are totally different, their ways of living, the public services they have (or not have) and the way that they commute to work are part of why cities and communities in the two continents are so very very different.

Watch the video below to the end, to understand a bit more.

This must mostly be about the suburbs in America vs the world, because cities and towns  that I've been to as well as lived in, in the U.S. are pretty much mixed zones..

There is like so many stores at the end of blocks in the cities that are local..

Towns you can walk to just about everything..

The suburbs is like, this zone, that zone and that zone..

This guy doing the video reminds me of that one American guy speaking for all americans when he said we don't have meat pies in america.. lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This must mostly be about the suburbs in America vs the world, because cities and towns  that I've been to as well as lived in, in the U.S. are pretty much mixed zones..

There is like so many stores at the end of blocks in the cities that are local..

This guy doing the video reminds me of that one American guy speaking for all americans when he said we don't have meat pies in america.. lol

And the US is a big big place. Sure those cookie cutter 'burbs are everywhere, but there are suburbs that do not like that at all, a great many of them in fact.  Its always strange how non US folks think the US is this big monolith when its not.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Modulated said:

And the US is a big big place. Sure those cookie cutter 'burbs are everywhere, but there are suburbs that do not like that at all, a great many of them in fact.  Its always strange how non US folks think the US is this big monolith when its not.

Too much youtube  and blog influencers in the world looking for easy clicks selling their souls for the add monies.. hehehe

Tennessee is not California! \o/

hehehe

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I live in a suburb.  I'm also in walking distance, as most people are in my town, to a gas station, laundry mat and bar on one end of my street.  On the other end is the high school.followed by one of the main roads in town where you can find just about everything.  A lot of suburbs are constructed like this.   Smaller groupings of homes divided by main roads where the businesses are located.  No one wants to live right next to a busy retail establishment.  Having lived behind a KFC for years, it gets old.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

US style residential housing zones (like the ones found in SL) are a totally alien concept in most of Europe. In fact, most countries outside of the US don't have the rigid housing only, commercial only, business only or industrial only zones - they all exist mixed in together.

The US has a very "Sim City" videogame style of building their cities and communities, they plan and build specific things in specific zones on specific square grids miles and miles apart from each other, linked only by huge highways, little public transport, no bicycle routes, or even pedestrian walkways. European style communities and culture could not exist with this US model.

Mixed-use planning laws exist in European cities, which allows a multitude of different things to all be built together in a smaller area, where they would never be permitted in the US, because of the US's overly rigid zoning laws.  Mixed-use planning laws allows European people to live, work, find entertainment and culture all within very short distances and decreases the need to drive or even own a car.

It's not just the individual country sizes or age differences which form the planning models used in the two continents either, their cultures are totally different, their ways of living, the public services they have (or not have) and the way that they commute to work are part of why cities and communities in the two continents are so very very different.

Watch the video below to the end, to understand a bit more.

While this is totally off topic, I'll go ahead and join in on the off topic posts, by saying that the fourth largest city in the USA, Houston, has no zoning. I've lived in Houston and I can tell you it's great in some areas and sucks in others. And the USA is not a monolith. Houston is not the only city without zoning, but it is the largest.

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I live in a suburb.  I'm also in walking distance, as most people are in my town, to a gas station, laundry mat and bar on one end of my street.  On the other end is the high school.followed by one of the main roads in town where you can find just about everything.  A lot of suburbs are constructed like this.   Smaller groupings of homes divided by main roads where the businesses are located.  No one wants to live right next to a busy retail establishment.  Having lived behind a KFC for years, it gets old.  

Ya, really when I see a lot of the clumping like they show in that video, it's really like those fast going up sub divisions that they usually have on the outskirts..

Our town square, there are apartments above businesses, there are single and multi family homes together..

In chicago you have blocks and then the maindrags they are called.. at the end of the blocks are the local stores that are in walking distance, barbershops and small grocery stores..

one of my friends lives on lake shore drive in one of the high rises.. She goes down the elevator  takes a tunnel under the street  up into the building across the street, up the elevator in that high rise and is at work.. lol

We lived in the suburbs for a short bit before we finally moved down to Tennessee.. we walked to school we walked to the store we walked to the park.. If we went grocery shopping, we loaded the vehicle up with groceries and didn't have to go to the store as many times.. we drove places that were farther away and got there and back quicker than waiting on a bus or a train.. let alone our vehicle was much cleaner and less crime less chance of a lot of things that can happen when a bunch of people get crammed in together.. lol

I wish this whole U.S. vs the world things would just quit and enjoy where we each are instead of this what feels like, my dad is better than your dad  silliness..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wish this whole U.S. vs the world things would just quit and enjoy where we each are instead of this what feels like, my dad is better than your dad  silliness..

This ^ ... so much this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

There is always the option to just ignore threads that are no longer interesting for one self, right?
IMHO of course. ;)

I leave a lot of threads for what they are and ignore them, if I'm not or no longer interested in the discussion that unfolds in them. A daily routine for most of us I assume.

That's true, however once I start to take a thread seriously (for example of it seems "anti-American"), I'm likely to call it "silly" rather than getting mad or losing interest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's true, however once I start to take a thread seriously (for example of it seems "anti-American"), I'm likely to call it "silly" rather than getting mad or losing interest.

It is not anti- American at all. It is about that cultures are different.
When Americans think about Mediterranean they most likely think Santa Barbara type of living. Europeans think more about living in Italy and The south of France around the Mediterranean sea. Not really similar ways of building and living.

Different part of the worlds have different expectations when it comes to living. Linden lab is very much America orientated.
Some people from other parts of the world express their hope that LL will have more eye for other parts of the world as well when they develop Bellisseria further in the future.

What is anti American about that?

Edited by Sid Nagy
Hey it is Saturday: my edit hobby day. 🍺
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is not anti- American at all. It is about that cultures are different.
When Americans think about Mediterranean they most likely think Santa Barbara type of living. Europeans think more about living in Italy and The south of France around the Mediterranean sea. Not really similar ways of building and living.

Different part of the worlds have different expectations when it comes to living. Linden lab is very much America orientated.
Some people from other parts of the world express their hope that LL will have more eye for other parts of the world as well when they develop Bellisseria further in the future.

How is that anti American?

I wouldn't say it's anti-American. I'd say it's an attempt to paint LL as a prejudiced company due to the fact they are located in the US, when in reality the reason Belli is designed the way it is has NOTHING to do with this fact -- rather it is because it's easier to build it in the way they have. Furthermore, almost NOBODY wants to live crammed up against other people in a little village, cute as they are.  So not cost-effective either.

It never works to base an argument on a faulty premise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wait what? If we don't have meat pies in the US, then what the hell was that I ate growing up in the 60s and 70s? I mean, they've only existed in the south since the 1700s ffs.

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/natchitoches-meat-pies

image.png.252bd5a35c95b191fe409ebbefa56319.png

Edit: It's only been the LA state pie for 20 years now.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

I currently live in a little fantasy paradise surrounded by an enchanted pond tucked into the hills near a beach 3200m up in the sky on a private estate, so my opinion on such matters probably doesn't matter one bit, but I agree with @Scylla Rhiadra on this one. I'm a city person at heart (though the idea of living in a cute modern glass home perched near the ocean or buried deep in the woods does appeal from time to time) and not a suburbs fan at all, so the idea of moving to Belli never once crossed my mind, but I could see the temptation if it had a lot more variety. Then again, the absolute last thing I think about here is realism. My homes typically range from "woman caves" decked out like arcades with pink, purple, and teal neon vaporwave decor to swanky little penthouses up parked up in space.

Scylla's right that a wider pool of regional homes from all over the world would be fun, but call me when we get some underwater grottos, haunted crypts, fun 8-bit style blocky homes, mushroom houses, futuristic sci-fi pod homes nestled into the mountains...some mind-bending Escher houses...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

What is anti American about that?

I suppose you'd have to see it from my point of view to understand.

It's quite simple: comparing things to America, and saying "this thing isn't right - it's American and not what we expect" is a "type" of "anti-American" sentiment.

I'm not saying, "anti-American" in the sense of "oh, we do hate those Americans, don't we"? 

It's the need to constantly compare, and put down.  "Our way is correct because that is how we do it, and the American way or representation is just all wrong."  I'm sorry if you don't see why calling that "anti-American" is appropriate. 

But there you go, you've got your "opinion" and I've got mine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

If they can invent EEP visual effects for different altitudes, then why not create a method for parcel creation at different altitudes too?

Stacking parcels on multiple levels sharing the same X,Y coordinates, but separated by different Z altitude levels might be a future idea for LL devs to consider creating. 

Then a high density apartment tower would be possible and really cram the residents in.

Yeah I have always been surprised there's no concept of Z when it comes to SL's parcel system. Would make a lot of sense and would enable various parcel features to work in a high density apartment block etc (privacy related, mainly).

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's quite simple: comparing things to America, and saying "this thing isn't right - it's American and not what we expect" is a "type" of "anti-American" sentiment.

I'm not saying, "anti-American" in the sense of "oh, we do hate those Americans, don't we"? 

It's the need to constantly compare, and put down.  "Our way is correct because that is how we do it, and the American way or representation is just all wrong."  I'm sorry if you don't see why calling that "anti-American" is appropriate. 

Let's agree to disagree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since the first person to mention it in this thread often makes derogatory comments about how/what Americans do/say/act, I felt the same way.  Some people do show their 'anti-American' sentiments on a regular basis.

19 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

UStraffic.png.241dc020d26e8617ba7f599fac04e2fb.png

^ At least we know now why Linden Homes houses and regions look so obviously American, even when they're given non-American theme names... 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Since the first person to mention it in this thread often makes derogatory comments about how/what Americans do/say/act, I felt the same way.  Some people do show their 'anti-American' sentiments on a regular basis.

19 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

UStraffic.png.241dc020d26e8617ba7f599fac04e2fb.png

^ At least we know now why Linden Homes houses and regions look so obviously American, even when they're given non-American theme names... 😜

Exactly. They often use the same attitude with the English language differences, and now even food in this thread.  Despite having read where they were "joking" in some thread about it, I don't buy it.  The continual beating of the drum is just sad trolling.

That being said, I think the topic is completely valid and even the "these homes don't look etc." comments. I just think it is not relevant when you start blaming it on the fact LL is American, etc.  If anything, LL just doesn't hire designers that take these things into consideration.  It does not have anything to do with Americans, the American version of something, the American representation of something, etc. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This thread has become kind of weird.

I think this is a good time to step back.

Vague forum history:  much of the anti-American sentiment has been small digs over a couple years in the Land section of the forum.  Your post was not that contentious. It just got caught in the crossfire of a well-placed barb.  The quoted post was a poke at the bees nest and the bees responded.  I include myself in that.

I have wished in various posts in the land section for something truly different, as well.  Maybe LL will do something different one day, but they have found a recipe that is working well for now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.