What Would You Like to Remove From Second Life Permanently?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'll go first.

That kudzu grass in the Linden library -- and the Lindens' use of it all over the Mainland. 

It never stays on the land it was deployed but strays from Linden land to your land and you can't return it.

I say: one flick of the switch on the asset server, remove it forever.

No one will miss it.

The Lindens and Moles have much, much nicer grasses in the library or Bellisseria packs.

• Like 13

It would be nice to have the option to permanently delete some of the library inventory items. I actually like some of the old things, sometimes just for nostalgia...but I am never, ever going to use the go-kart again xD And there are so many starter avatars in our inventories now, it would be cool to be able to free up the space by getting rid of some (especially the first ever mesh avatars with the horrible skin and weird, dead eyes, that I've never seen ANYONE use since :o) But it should be up to each user to decide what they keep or delete, not LL deleting the whole set, IMO. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

It would be nice to have the option to permanently delete some of the library inventory items. I actually like some of the old things, sometimes just for nostalgia...but I am never, ever going to use the go-kart again xD And there are so many starter avatars in our inventories now, it would be cool to be able to free up the space by getting rid of some (especially the first ever mesh avatars with the horrible skin and weird, dead eyes, that I've never seen ANYONE use since :o) But it should be up to each user to decide what they keep or delete, not LL deleting the whole set, IMO. 

Wait. There's a go-kart in the Library???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Because it's too fast and awesome and all the pro-racers would get all mad at some amateur destroying their records?

Probably :D But also because it's the size of a small cabin O.o

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

a workround-ish for this

copy the items you want to My Inventory folders as preferred, then menu: Advanced \ Show Debug Settings \ NoInventoryLibrary = TRUE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Because it's too fast and awesome and all the pro-racers would get all mad at some amateur destroying their records?

destroying themselves all over the region more like and for finish getting kicked home by region owner. 😹It has maniac-level drive controls as pretty much all early linden vehicles do

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh God...those ugly default terrain textures on the mainland!  Hurts my eyes!

They wouldn't bother me if they were set to repeat a LOT more or something so they weren't so low-rez. Back in 2003 I imagine they looked cool, but in 2023 it's like we're walking around as fine art models on top of crayon drawings. ;)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

They wouldn't bother me if they were set to repeat a LOT more or something so they weren't so low-rez. Back in 2003 I imagine they looked cool, but in 2023 it's like we're walking around as fine art models on top of crayon drawings. ;)

Yeah they are awfully outdated. I thought I remember reading something about them getting an update?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Any build, which isn't attached to the ground between 50ft and 500ft. (Basically low skyboxes). Unnecessary privacy fences. Security orbs with zero warning. 10 seconds minimum should be required.

I'm with you for the first half of this. But I personally think 0-warning instant orbs are a great idea. When used above 1000m OR inside walls that can't be walked through normally. BUT only if coupled with something that changes them to just moving you right outside the parcel if you're last region crossing with less than 15 seconds ago.

• Like 4

Everything I think of as something I want to delete - feels like something someone else out there values.

So I'm currently stumped on this.

An example: All those old builds of people who haven't logged in for 10+ years. Things that come about from lifetime accounts that no longer use their accounts. Yet there are folks who value those.

"Remove" isn't the way to handle it but I'd like to do something to prevent regions of different ratings from being next to each other. It should be impossible to see into or "walk into" a region of a different maturity rating than the one you're in. The only way to handle that though would cause too much drama: changing ratings on a massive number of regions.

Probably the only thing I'd really be willing to say, I don't care if there are people who dislike this, I'd vote for it anyway, is:

'Remove' any G or M rated region that is adjacent to an A rated region (any estate where you can walk from M to A, or walk from M to G, ought to get 'flatlined': Return EVERYTHING, set all the land to 20m and generic terrain, and set all estate values to default, flipped to a common rating, and it's owners told to "try again"). I know of a few estates where one region is G and the one next to it is A - which is just a problem waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah they are awfully outdated. I thought I remember reading something about them getting an update?

I think this is true, although I don't know what the timeline for it is, nor how it will happen. Presumably LL can flick a switch, and the old ones will all be magically replaced by new ones? If not, it will take FOREVER.

I think the new ones are supposed to take advantage of PBR. They should look good?

ETA: This is what Inara Pey had to say about the project as of May 13 of this year.

• As per my TPVD summary for Friday, May 12th, there is a project underway to provide PBR support for terrain.
  • This is seen as a means of leveraging PBR Materials to offer some quality improvements to terrain ahead of any longer-term terrain project which might yet be considered / actioned.
  • The idea is to enable the use of Materials asset IDs in place of the usual texture IDs and applying them to the ground.
  • An initial alpha build of a viewer supporting this work is available through the content creation Discord server. However, note that it is only alpha and unsupported outside of the project at this time.
    • Please also note that at the request of Linden Lab, I am unable to publish details on how creators can obtain access to the content creation Discord server. Those who are interested should wither a) attend a Content Creation User Group meeting and request access there; or b) contact Vir Linden to request details on how to request access.
  • As this is purely a viewer-side change, it does not require a server-side update, but for testing, the viewer should preferably be used on Aditi (the beta grid), where there are materials available within the PBR regions expressly for testing the capability. There is also a debug setting in the viewer which allows it to be used “anywhere”, but this is described as currently “hacky”.
  • This work also sees an increase in the overall texel density for terrain, raising it to 1024×1024, and the texture repeat has been doubled. The latter may only be a temporary move, with discussions at LL revolving around various ideas such as hex tiling.

• Important notes with this work:
    • It is not terrain painting. It is the application of PBR materials – terrain painting is described as “something that’s on the radar” at LL.
    • The work does not include support for displacement maps.
    • The work is currently only viewer-side, with no corresponding server-side support, the idea here being to prototype what might be achieved and testing approaches / results.
    • It is viewed as a “mini project”, which can potentially be built upon to include elements such as simulator support (including EM tools, etc.).
    • Given the above point, there are also discussions on how best to handle the default grass texture for land (which is just a basic diffuse map) if the PBR terrain work is to go mainstream. Currently, updating this is not part of the mini-project.

I think @animats may be involved in some way?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I agree, everything in the library should be optional to delete. I'd keep all the textures, including those horrible terrain textures, so that I match a prim to the ground if necessary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

"Remove" isn't the way to handle it but I'd like to do something to prevent regions of different ratings from being next to each other. It should be impossible to see into or "walk into" a region of a different maturity rating than the one you're in. The only way to handle that though would cause too much drama: changing ratings on a massive number of regions.

Probably the only thing I'd really be willing to say, I don't care if there are people who dislike this, I'd vote for it anyway, is:

'Remove' any G or M rated region that is adjacent to an A rated region (any estate where you can walk from M to A, or walk from M to G, ought to get 'flatlined': Return EVERYTHING, set all the land to 20m and generic terrain, and set all estate values to default, flipped to a common rating, and it's owners told to "try again"). I know of a few estates where one region is G and the one next to it is A - which is just a problem waiting to happen.

Better start with mainland then. M and G are adjacent throughout mainland.

Here is a much better idea, get rid of the G classification entirely. 

😂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.