Cross Posting... Love it or Hate it?

SandorWren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I personally like cross posting, because I only have a limited amount of time to devote to the forums. I'm less likely to miss something if it's posted in multiple areas. How does everyone else feel?

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

• SandorWren changed the title to Cross Posting... Love it or Hate it?
Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Hate it. 

I use the Unread Content feature on occasion and there's really no need for me to see the same exact post show up in multiple threads across the forum.

Same, especially when people post the same picture to multiple threads, or a lot of Real Estate updates.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Same, especially when people post the same picture to multiple threads, or a lot of Real Estate updates.

Exactly, and the photo threads do a pretty good job of differentiating themselves, so I don't really see the point in spamming them with the same exact photos.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I only like it if it's an informational post, such as an update on free mesh heads or new Linden Homes, and the post is relevant to both threads. Posting the same vanity photo to multiple threads is silly. 

The excuse (when I saw it discussed) was pretty specious:  "The picture is of my avatar, in Second Life, so it applies to both 'What does your Avatar look like today?' and also 'What does your Second Life look like today?', plus the OP said it was OK!!!!"

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I only like it if it's an informational post, such as an update on free mesh heads or new Linden Homes, and the post is relevant to both threads. Posting the same vanity photo to multiple threads is silly. 

Do you have the time to check multiple threads? i don't. 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I use the Unread Content feature ..

I use that every time, it is my shortcut into this forum.

Images posted in multiple threads stand out like intentional smelly SPAM from posters desperate for likes.

I don't post much here and this is one reason why. It is poor forum etiquette.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Agree!

42 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Nor do I.

Personally, I am mostly in favor of it, because I don't read 80% of the forums. I don't even look at the titles to see if there might be something I need to know. I avoid what I consider to be the "vanity" threads like the plague. So if there is useful information that spans multiple areas of interest, I see no reason not to cross post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I personally like cross posting, because I only have a limited amount of time to devote to the forums. I'm less likely to miss something if it's posted in multiple areas. How does everyone else feel?

I hate it.  A post belongs in one place. Anything more than that is spamming.

Also, posting your own stuff in multiple places is going to do nothing to avoid you "missing something".

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I hate it.  A post belongs in one place. Anything more than that is spamming.

Also, posting your own stuff in multiple places is going to do nothing to avoid you "missing something".

I don't mean me. I mean other people cross posting.. If I had the time to crosspost, I would be looking at the threads to begin with. 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Agree!

Nor do I.

Personally, I am mostly in favor of it, because I don't read 80% of the forums. I don't even look at the titles to see if there might be something I need to know. I avoid what I consider to be the "vanity" threads like the plague. So if there is useful information that spans multiple areas of interest, I see no reason not to cross post.

This is basically my point. It's about how much time someone has to spend on the forums.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

First I check if anyone quoted me, because I might need to respond to them. Then I may check how people responded to my posts, though usually I know what to expect there. Then I use the Unread Content filter to look for anything interesting. If I see photo posts from certain people who post boring or predictable TMI stuff, I avoid that thread.

I don't cross post and don't necessarily like seeing the same post in multiple threads, but do I feel the need to call someone out personally and publicly?  No.  It's not that big a deal.  Not enough to make a whole post directed at specific person who doesn't post like I do.

I think I know which particular post this thread is directed at.  In this case, my opinion is that if someone wants to see adult pics, they will visit the adult section.  Linking an adult pic in a general rated section of the forum might be best avoided.  That, however, is not what the post complaining about cross-posting was about.

In another instance of attempted public humiliation, a particular person was called out publicly and admonished for posting the same photo in two vanity threads.  It was not kind at all. I felt really badly for the person who was told in that way how inconsiderate they were for doing it.  I am using the word inconsiderate here, but the posts were really mean spirited and uncalled for.

No one cares if you don't like how someone posts.  Not liking how a person posts is not really directly related to SL.  It is a personal issue for each of us to deal with ourselves, not a issue to post off topic and call people out.  AR the post if it is so far out of line that you simply can't take it and your life is completely ruined by seeing a post twice.

As has been said so many times before by so many people - scroll on by if you don't like it or use the ignore tool and never see it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Regardless, I'll only Like a picture once no matter how many places it's posted.  I'll sometimes post twice.  Once in the Your Avatar section and then in the Creative section if there is an appropriate thread.  Close up, usually.   I don't expect nor care one way or the other if someone does or doesn't like them in either place.  I just know some people only read certain sections of the forums.  A lot of info that starts out in General gets cross-posted to Technology and vis versa.  

With that said, if you're posting in different threads in the People section...How does your SL look today and How does your Avatar look today/What does your avatar look like now, I'd call that spamming.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Once upon a time, the forum posting rules specifically said no cross-posting.  The closest I see in any of the guidelines now are in the "Linden Lab Official:Forum Participation Guidelines" page (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines), which says:

No Spam/Excessive Bumping: Spamming is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, aggressive self-promotion, excessive topic bumping, and repeatedly posting similar content within a 24 hour period. Please be mindful of how often you are posting similar content on the Forums. Posts should remain in their appropriate section.

(bolded italic added by me to show the part that I was referencing).  No, that does not specifically address cross-posting, but was the closest thing in any of the guidelines that even comes close to the old original 'no cross-posting guideline'.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Linking an adult pic in a general rated section of the forum might be best avoided.  That, however, is not what the post complaining about cross-posting was about.

Pretty sure that my comment to him about posting a link to an adult picture in a non-adult picture thread is exactly what prompted this thread.

IMO, posting links to adult content in non-adult thread is not appropriate, but it is also a form of cross-posting -- post the picture in one place and then post links to it in other places.  Not really much different from posting the same picture in multiple threads (which some folks do and I've only sometimes commented on the practice).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I think I know which particular post this thread is directed at.  In this case, my opinion is that if someone wants to see adult pics, they will visit the adult section.  Linking an adult pic in a general rated section of the forum might be best avoided. 

I honestly don't care enough about cross-posting, unless it's really egregious spamming, to take a side one way or another on the central issue of the OP here. As an SL photographer, I can understand the desire to have one's pics seen as widely as possible, without even considering the ridiculously irrelevant "reputation points" one might accrue as a result. So, I get that. But it can get wearisome, certainly, to see the same pic reposted twice or even three times in the picture threads. I don't lose sleep over it, though.

The issue that you've spotlighted about this being a workaround for posting adult pics in a non-adult section of the forum, however, I do care more about. At the VERY least, an NSFW label should be applied to these (as, if one is reading on a phone, it may not be otherwise apparent where the link is going to take one). Or, better still, just don't post adult content in a non-adult section of the forum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

This is basically my point. It's about how much time someone has to spend on the forums.

Well the nice thing is, the threads won't go anywhere, I mean unless a fight breaks out.. hehehe

I don't have as much time for them as I used to and find that it's pretty easy to keep up.. Then catch up on the weekends if I can..

I miss a lot of things that go on during the week.. Still feels like I get my fill..

gettyimages-82581233-fpg-opener-15185454

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I honestly don't care enough about cross-posting, unless it's really egregious spamming, to take a side one way or another on the central issue of the OP here. As an SL photographer, I can understand the desire to have one's pics seen as widely as possible, without even considering the ridiculously irrelevant "reputation points" one might accrue as a result. So, I get that. But it can get wearisome, certainly, to see the same pic reposted twice or even three times in the picture threads. I don't lose sleep over it, though.

The issue that you've spotlighted about this being a workaround for posting adult pics in a non-adult section of the forum, however, I do care more about. At the VERY least, an NSFW label should be applied to these (as, if one is reading on a phone, it may not be otherwise apparent where the link is going to take one). Or, better still, just don't post adult content in a non-adult section of the forum.

I was actually trying to follow the rules of not posting adult content in a "G" rated section. I didn't know that posting a link would be considered the same. I've done it before, and no one said anything. The rules here are apparently far more constrictive than I would ever have figured. 

There's an interesting variation which I shall call, "NOT cross-posting".

This is where two avatars are in the same place together in a photo session, and they each post pictures of the session from different perspectives.

I think some of the Forum users do a great job with this.  It adds some often-missing immersion!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.