πŸ”” LindenLab πŸ”” : The Strong Need For Differentiation Between Actual Residents Versus Bots, Scripted Agents And NPC's In Second Life

Count Burks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

People want emojis!Β  So much so that they've worked long and hard to incorporate them into the viewer.Β  Who these people are that want them, I can't say.Β  I'd actually prefer the pink dots for scripted agents before an emoji.Β  I have no idea how all that works but it would seem easier to tag scripted agents than rework the viewers to include emojis.Β Β 

We DO, however, still need that eyeroll reaction in the forums.Β Β πŸ™„

I have an idea!

- Use emojis instead of dots to represent users on the map.

- Allow users to configure which emoji to use for "normal users" vs. Bots on the map.

- For example, a user could choose to use "cat emojis" such as 😺 to represent normal users, and "devil emojis" such as πŸ‘Ήto represent Bots on the map.

Β 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Count Burks said:

Do you have anything else you wish to add?

I think you are right and have posted before on my own suspicions and reasonings of why I think there is a significant bot population in SL in spite of the protestations of some of the naysayers. Another piece of potential "proof" of the bots though was a mention by a mobile viewer developer a while back in a post that the statistics point out 50% of SL logins are by text based viewers and though some could just be creators wanting an inworld presence for support, it is likely a large percentage are bots in that number.

Β 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

People want emojis!Β  So much so that they've worked long and hard to incorporate them into the viewer.Β  Who these people are that want them, I can't say.Β  I'd actually prefer the pink dots for scripted agents before an emoji.Β  I have no idea how all that works but it would seem easier to tag scripted agents than rework the viewers to include emojis.Β Β 

We DO, however, still need that eyeroll reaction in the forums.Β Β πŸ™„

:)

People want wanted emojis :DΒ 

I was referring only to the unwanted emojis from the OP.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have an idea!

- Use emojis instead of dots to represent users on the map.

- Allow users to configure which emoji to use for "normal users" vs. Bots on the map.

- For example, a user could choose to use "cat emojis" such as 😺 to represent normal users, and "devil emojis" such as πŸ‘Ήto represent Bots on the map.

Β 

The Waze driving app has that feature.Β  You can be whoever you want as you drive along, your own emoji clearly different from the others on the road.Β  That could be an adorable perq for the Premium Plus Plus Double-Ploos subscription maybe.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Count Burks said:

To the usual trolls, do not litter the thread, do not post idiotic comments or other garbage and smiley faces. To the forum dragons, no drama and spitting venom. If you have useful things to add you can.

oh please tell me i didn't reply.... did i?

NO... thanks god.
😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Floryn Tordenskjold said:

The Waze driving app has that feature.Β  You can be whoever you want as you drive along, your own emoji clearly different from the others on the road.Β  That could be an adorable perq for the Premium Plus Plus Double-Ploos subscription maybe.

I was thinking, if we used little PAC-MAN emojis and the ghost πŸ‘»emoji..

BRAINSTORM: A different emoji assignable for each contact! That way, you could see a little monster emoji when the Landlord is coming to collect Rent!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Not to talk to much of the argument the OPΒ  makes, but I have no idea what he's referring to in Chapter 2.

There are certainly "popular" clubs where 50% of the "people" there are just standing around (maybe chatting to each other?), for example that has always been my experience at Exhale. There are other clubs where they are always busy with real people who engage and are friendly. Many of the PG-13 rock places, others like Fogbound, Muddies, Club 511, Hotwife Hotel (okay, there are a few bots here for sure from time to time).

I can always find popular music places to hang out with real people I can chat and have fun with. No idea why people think it's all bots, based on the places I go at least.

So, anecdotal and "my experience" is not a strong argument for major changes. There are much more important user experience things to fix if LL wants to focus on growth, retention, and engagement. I'd love to see a CXO talking about what LL is doing and researching to increase those three things.

• Like 2

The only problem is, those using bots to game traffic DO NOT register them as scripted agents since scripted agents do not count for region traffic.Β  So all of this marking of scripted agents and not showing them on the map as dots of any kind is sort of irrelevant in regards to the actual problem.Β  But hey, at least then we'll know which ones are breaking the rules...not that they do much about that anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only problem is, those using bots to game traffic DO NOT register them as scripted agents since scripted agents do not count for region traffic.Β  So all of this marking of scripted agents and not showing them on the map as dots of any kind is sort of irrelevant in regards to the actual problem.Β  But hey, at least then we'll know which ones are breaking the rules...not that they do much about that anyway.

Maybe we should do something about free accounts, then at least the bots would be contributing. Someone should start a thread covering that.

Oh, wait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Maybe we should do something about free accounts, then at least the bots would be contributing. Someone should start a thread covering that.

Oh, wait.

Would there be more then a 1000 left if we got rid of the bots and the free accounts? That would make the jobs of the Mods and governance so much easier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.