Edit Shape is backwards and I only see the back of me

Leya Moulliez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In your preferences, go to Move and View tab. If you have unchecked the "turn avatar towards camera direction on reset view" box .. check it. I unchecked this box years ago. I don't like my avatar always striking a pose when I'm in edit appearance. I NEVER use the image in the little box anyway. 

• Like 1

Rotate your view.

Then when you're done go into the preferences and disable the setting mentioned above since that is annoying and the next time you edit appearance you will get a front view in the little picture view, at least this has been my experience when Firestorm randomly decided to always turn me the wrong way when working on my shape. Not sure what caused it but disabling the setting seemed to fix things.

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

In your preferences, go to Move and View tab. If you have unchecked the "turn avatar towards camera direction on reset view" box .. check it. I unchecked this box years ago. I don't like my avatar always striking a pose when I'm in edit appearance. I NEVER use the image in the little box anyway. 

What I have always wondered is how do other people see it when you disable this box? do they still see you in the "editing appearance" pose? I've never tested it hehe.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

There's a picture in the edit appearance box?  😁

Yeah! These can be toggled from Preferences > Move & View > Show Visual Hints.

(Funny enough, I just happened to get the same "from behind" view in them. I don't use them normally.)

image.png.5dbfaea8489a91b9855002687d4a2e6e.png

image.png.a21b6ece937b64e12d3634a52213382f.png

Excuse the odd prim. I was doing science.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Yeah! These can be toggled from Preferences > Move & View > Show Visual Hints.

(Funny enough, I just happened to get the same "from behind" view in them. I don't use them normally.)

image.png.5dbfaea8489a91b9855002687d4a2e6e.png

image.png.a21b6ece937b64e12d3634a52213382f.png

Excuse the odd prim. I was doing science.

I knew there was a picture there but I haven't paid attention to it in years.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2023 at 1:30 AM, Rowan Amore said:

I knew there was a picture there but I haven't paid attention to it in years.

I just look at my avatar instead, as the thumbnails are too damn small to be any use a lot of the time, and always assume you have the "turn around and starfish" option ticked in preferences anyway, which I turned off in my first week here, as it was annoying, I want to see how my shape looks normally, moving slightly with my AO, not some daft edit pose.

• Like 2

I keep the pictures off because it gives me more room and I can take my numbers down faster to transfer them to a note card.. I hate scrolling when I'm typing the numbers up..

Plus I much rather look at the places I'm tweaking to see the changes  in action.. because when I have the button in a slider highlighted, I'm using the arrow keys  and looking at whats going on..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I keep the pictures off because it gives me more room and I can take my numbers down faster to transfer them to a note card..

Huh, didn't know that was an option. How do you do that? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Orwar said:

Huh, didn't know that was an option. How do you do that? 

When you go to Move and View in your preferences, in the View tab.. It's right across from Appearance, uncheck  Show visual hints.

Unless you are meaning transferring them to a note card.. I just type them in a note card, but it goes quicker without having to scroll because pictures are eating up the window.. all my numbers are right there in a nice tight  row rather than spaced out because of the avatar images.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When you go to Move and View in your preferences, in the View tab.. It's right across from Appearance, uncheck  Show visual hints.

Wow, that makes it so much better! Don't have to scroll at all, heck I could halve the size I usually run the Appearance window in and still see all sliders in any given tab at once. Thanks!

• Like 4

On 10/31/2023 at 5:33 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

Unless you are meaning transferring them to a note card.. I just type them in a note card, but it goes quicker without having to scroll because pictures are eating up the window.. all my numbers are right there in a nice tight  row rather than spaced out because of the avatar images.

You learn something new every day.  I love it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

unfortunately the undo option is disabled using that mode.

https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-33219

It seems to work fine for me, not that I ever used it before today.. hehehe

I usually just close the window if I'm not happy with the way things are going..  If I'm working on a whole shape, I do it a step at a time and save each step using the save as at the bottom so I get a copy of that stage.. Using "Save" at the top will save to the current shape where "Save As" creates a new shape version, so you don't lose the current version and can fall back to it if need be..

I actually never paid attention to the undo changes until this post.. I've been blindly not noticing it was there this whole time..  Now that I do see it, I may use it more..:D

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 7:19 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I keep the pictures off because it gives me more room and I can take my numbers down faster to transfer them to a note card.

I used to take down my shape numbers to a notecard. In fact, I had done that for years. But recently, I don't remember who posted about it, but someone noted that you can save your shape to your computer and then import that shape in the edit appearance menu in Firestorm. I've not written down a single shape number since trying this.

To do it, you use the Developer menu, avatar, character tests, appearance to XML and save the shape. I typically save with a name including the day's date and anything unique about this shape from other shapes I may have saved previously. Then create a new shape, edit the new shape, and select import at the bottom of the menu using the shape I've saved previously. This is a game changer for me. I now save my shape anytime I make changes and I know I can get that shape back incase something weird happens, and my shape goes missing from the database.

I know this is available in Firestorm. I have no idea if it works in other viewers.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I used to take down my shape numbers to a notecard. In fact, I had done that for years. But recently, I don't remember who posted about it, but someone noted that you can save your shape to your computer and then import that shape in the edit appearance menu in Firestorm. I've not written down a single shape number since trying this.

To do it, you use the Developer menu, avatar, character tests, appearance to XML and save the shape. I typically save with a name including the day's date and anything unique about this shape from other shapes I may have saved previously. Then create a new shape, edit the new shape, and select import at the bottom of the menu using the shape I've saved previously. This is a game changer for me. I now save my shape anytime I make changes and I know I can get that shape back incase something weird happens, and my shape goes missing from the database.

I know this is available in Firestorm. I have no idea if it works in other viewers.

Trying this the second I log on later. Thank you! (Later edit > That works, thanks sooo much!)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I should do that, because one day things could go poof. I've read others doing that and for some reason hadn't tried it yet.. As much as I tweak things and make new shapes, I need to start.

Let alone all the clutter from shapes being all over in my inventory, the room ill have.  Hehehe 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.