"People that play Near You" search option In Second life

Fear Reaper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've known RL couples who come into SL to 'play' -- so maybe in such a case you could say SL is their kink.

Yes actually I know a few too. Some people I know who are RL couples come to SL to explore things they can’t or don’t feel safe doing in RL.

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
Typos
  • Like 2

Imagine this:

- Person in Second Life gives you annoying advice. For the sake of discussion, advice regarding aligning your RL wardrobe/ideals/goals with your wardrobe/ideals/goals as discussed in Second Life.

- Finds out you are "nearby".

- Convinces you to meet in person.

- Gives you annoying advice in person.

• Haha 5

On 10/2/2023 at 6:01 AM, Stitch Kealoha said:

Second Life is a GREAT virtual reality game. It's a combination of a great time sink and a great way to meet new people ALL around the world.

It's no secret that a lot of people who play Second Life try to find their significant other, and Second Life makes bank off land and adult marketing. So expanding the idea of virtual dating wouldn't be a bad idea. However, one of the most common problems everyone faces is distance. For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe. ((I mean the game has survived for 15+ years with this mindset too!))

However, this game has been out for 15+ years, and instead of continuing to meet ONLY people all around the world. Wouldn't it be interesting if there was an option to see who plays Second Life near you? Dating apps like Kippo already have this feature with no negative impact and I was wondering could second life add it.

Basically, Second Life could just put in an option for players who WISH to share their state & city. ((THIS DOES NOT MEAN GIVING OUT YOUR FULL ADDRESS;  It would basically be like other dating apps)) then just add a search option for people who play 20-50 miles from you.

Anyway, this is just food for thought...

I'm coming into this thread rather late, so some of this may have been said already. There are groups in Second Life, not dating-specific, for people from their home areas to talk in and then to potentially meet up in real life.

Anyone can create a group if their home area hasn't got one.

I really hate this idea though. I regretted very much joining a group from my home town, got a few random people contacting me, and all I could hear were jingle jangle warning bells. One in particular was adamant we should meet up. No. Not enough of a foundation to feel safe enough to do that. 

On the flipside, I meet a lot of people out walking their dogs where I live and inevitably have got to know a fair few of them. One of them was asking me what I liked to do in my spare time, we got talking about computer stuff, and it turned out he was also a resident of Second Life, although was not able to log in currently because his computer wasn't of a high enough specification. 

I'm not a fan of dating apps anyway, and always believe if we're meant to meet our soulmate we'll do it more organically, although I accept online dating does seem to have worked out for a few people.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Anyone can create a group if their home area hasn't got one.

I like this idea.

Search for groups with your own Country/State/City name, and create one if it doesn't exist.

The next person searching will find your group, and join it.  

I may create a "South Florida" group!

I suppose, it would be smartest to "hide group members", so that people looking to troll / stalk others can't see who's in the group.

Do groups have a "Request to Join" process, where someone can review their join request before it is "approved"?  I has teh dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you actually think about this, it would probably have the exact opposite effect.  Why would I need a premium home and lots of Adult furniture to have virtual sex when I could hook up with that person IN person and ya know...have real sex in a real bed in a real house?

..because you'd have to clean your house, make your bed, and pretend you're not living in your parent's basement? Just examples!

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like this idea.

Search for groups with your own Country/State/City name, and create one if it doesn't exist.

The next person searching will find your group, and join it.  

I may create a "South Florida" group!

I suppose, it would be smartest to "hide group members", so that people looking to troll / stalk others can't see who's in the group.

Do groups have a "Request to Join" process, where someone can review their join request before it is "approved"?  I has teh dumb.

You can stipulate the group to be invite only and require that people IM a specific person to request one.  Then, I suppose you could ask for some kind of proof but good luck with that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've known RL couples who come into SL to 'play' -- so maybe in such a case you could say SL is their kink.

I tried to get mine to come into SL, because He used to always be on the road and I figured it would be a nice way to communicate while he was away..

After hounding him and hounding him, He finally gave it a try. He may have lasted like an hour at the most and then gave up.. Honestly, I think the only reason He even gave it a try was to get me to stop hounding him..

Really now that I think of it, he really wasn't trying that hard. He doesn't even like talking on the phone that long either, so I should have known it wouldn't work out.. hehehe

Now, I'm glad He didn't really get a good look around second life and sometimes  say to myself, What the hell was I thinking?!! \o/

I could never be as free in here as I am now.. He'd probably already had me quit by now.. lol

• Like 2

Couple reasons why LL would likely not want to go this route. Okay, more than a couple:

SL is not solely an 18+ platform. Dating sites in the US typically are.

Many SL residents are married in RL and some have no desire to make that info public. Dating sites sometimes discourage that and require members to be single or legally separated.

Dating sites can be rather picky and sometimes exclude felons. Without RL information in SL, there's no way to verify anything.

Some dating sites use photo and phone verification to ensure user safety. We're just avatars.

We'd likely have to make even more personal information available than simply location. I wouldn't be interested in meeting married guys too far above or below my general age range, so how do you filter them out of your searches without requiring real age and status and photos on profiles?

Some dating sites take inappropriate behavior and rule-breaking very seriously. SL would have to step up its in-world moderation.

Plenty of people come here to get away from real life and want no connection made between the avatar and the real person.

Many people use SL as a way to meet and chat with people all over the world and for them, it's the main draw.

SL's reputation is...shaky at best. I doubt this would help improve that.

If people were to start using SL purely as a real life hook-up spot, they'd have far less reason to invest a lot of money in the platform. No real need for land, no need to spend thousands of Ls on creating interesting avatars, no real need to spend a lot of money at shopping events. No need to learn 3D skills and create and open shops. Just come here, put together a budget avatar, toss RL info into your profile, and set up casual RL coffee dates? Can't see them wanting that across the board.

LL typically leaves socializing and innovating up to the residents. If someone wants to create a more real world dating app in here, and take on the full responsibility of doing so, then that could work.

Really, it would be like asking WoW or Elder Scrolls Online or Roblox to facilitate online dating on their platforms and make player location (and other information) available. No reason to do that when real apps that serve the dating population already exist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Really, it would be like asking WoW or Elder Scrolls Online or Roblox to facilitate online dating on their platforms and make player location (and other information) available. No reason to do that when real apps that serve the dating population already exist.

And there's the best answer. SL is already good at what it does, and there are plenty of other places to go on line -- places that have experience and the infrastructure to go that route -- if you really want dating. It would be a waste of LL's time and talent to head off into the weeds of on-line dating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

1.) It all starts out with "hook-ups" and then the next thing you know you're meeting and hooking up in real life. I've seen it happen in Second Life all the time. Linden Labs should just make the process easier at this point for the players "playing near me search option" or just make a "matching section" in Second Life.

2.) You know I made a comment about this earlier. About Europeans thinking of us Americans. It got deleted. haha

3.) I tried dating apps, and it's just so much harder to find gamers. When I bumped into Kippo I was surprised to see a lot of similarities to Second Life, with the KippoVERSE. And no, I've met a few people over video games it's a process of Voice > Web Cam > Getting to know more about them > THEN MAYBE meeting finally in real life. You don't go out and meet people instantly day one.

1: I sure love to know where you've found this, cause I've been here 5 years nearly and not once seen this happen, and if it's happening all the time as you say, then it doesn't seem like their needs to be such a feature then.

2: I'm sure countries all over the world have a small minority of people who hold negative opinions on people from various other countries, doesn't make such an opinion right. Judging a whole country by a few jerks is wrong on so many levels and shows off how much of a jerk your acting like.

3: Try putting in your profile your looking for a gamer.....Or go to places IRL where gamers hangout. SL is not by most considered a game, but a social platform. Your not going to find as many gamers in SL ether hate to tell you. I've only met a few gamers on here.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 5:19 AM, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I met a boy in SL he comes to my RL town on a lot of weekends and I drive to his RL town nearly every week.  The last thing I want is to mix my SL & RL up in fact this puts me off getting close to him in SL because I can see where it will go. o.O 

It's actually a very small % of people who are here looking for a RL romance or a hook up.  

I very much identify with that, however, I'm not sure if it's actually a very small %. Do you have any actual %s? That would be interesting. Even if most people posting here, tend to agree, forum users definitely are only a small % of SL users. From my experience, and impressions, observations, over many years, mainly in roleplaying even of all places, I do think that a lot of people are hoping for an RL romance. I might be wrong, though. However, I still wouldn't want SL to mutate into an "SL? Ah, the dating app!" thing. 😅

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Imagine this:

- Person in Second Life gives you annoying advice. For the sake of discussion, advice regarding aligning your RL wardrobe/ideals/goals with your wardrobe/ideals/goals as discussed in Second Life.

- Finds out you are "nearby".

- Convinces you to meet in person.

- Gives you annoying advice in person.

- Tries to bully you into hiring them as your "personal shopper" in RL, making you pay both for their time as well as for clothes you'll never wear, and that in real money! 😅😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

That's a highly questionable assumption. If SL was already good at what it does, it would have a lot more users and wouldn't need mentors at welcome centers.

That's a highly questionable assumption, based on a model that equates success with growth and views mentors as marketing agents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a highly questionable assumption, based on a model that equates success with growth and views mentors as marketing agents.

What do you equate success with? A dwindling population, decreased revenue, bankruptcy? Basing success on growth is not a highly questionable assumption, it's how organizations become larger, thrive and survive.

As far as the mentors being marketing agents, they are there to help retain new users because SL is NOT good at what it does. What's your view of mentors? What is their function? To creep out new residents? Give old residents something to do and a sense of self-importance because they're so bored?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

Basing success on growth is not a highly questionable assumption, it's how organizations become larger, thrive and survive.

Thank you for agreeing that Roblox, which has NEVER made a profit in it's entire history, and which loses more money in 6 months than SL turns over in a year, is NOT a success.

Meanwhile, your diversion has exactly WHAT to do with the dreadful suggestion that SL be turned into an "Overentitled Incel" friendly RL Dating App?

SL is good at being SL, if you don't like what SL is, the door is behind you, go back to "NyteFart Ripped Off Teens Royale".

SL is NOT an RL Dating App.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

Basing success on growth is not a highly questionable assumption, it's how organizations become larger, thrive and survive.

It is indeed how some organizations succeed. In fact, growth is by definition "how organizations become larger". It is not how all organizations thrive and survive.  Some succeed by staying in business for two decades and continuing to show a profit. Since Linden Lab is privately held and appears to have the confidence of its investors, I can only assume that it is following a business model that works.  

And mentors are there to help anyone who asks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Thank you for agreeing that Roblox, which has NEVER made a profit in it's entire history, and which loses more money in 6 months than SL turns over in a year, is NOT a success.

Meanwhile, your diversion has exactly WHAT to do with the dreadful suggestion that SL be turned into an "Overentitled Incel" friendly RL Dating App?

SL is good at being SL, if you don't like what SL is, the door is behind you, go back to "NyteFart Ripped Off Teens Royale".

SL is NOT an RL Dating App.

From August of this year...although the amount of people playing may have gone up, profit seems to be going down...

The company reported a net loss of $282.8 million for the quarter, which ended June 30. Roblox reported a net loss of $176.4 million for the same period in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Since Linden Lab is privately held and appears to have the confidence of its investors, I can only assume that it is following a business model that works.  

And mentors are there to help anyone who asks.

Mentors go beyond helping anyone who asks; some offer unsolicited help, which is creepy. And the question in my mind and probably that of new users, is SL really so drab and dreary that the best way for people to spend their time is to stand around a welcome center?

The sale to private equity was because of failure, not success. Earlier investors wanted their money back and SL wasn't generating enough profits to pay them, so SL was sold. The preferred way to cash out investors is an IPO, but that is for successful companies showing substantial growth in users and revenue.

The OP has offered a suggestion to help SL grow. It might work. There are a lot of people that attempt to use SL for a dating platform.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.