Second Life "Life Hacks"

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's list some things about Second Life that may be "obvious to us", but a brand new user would not know.

I had the idea of creating a thread to list different aspects and features of Second Life, similar to what you see in "Life Hacks" videos.  

"Life Hacks" is in quotes, because often they are very simple things that you'd think people already know.

This is an opportunity to also inject a little humor, if anyone has a mind to do that.  (No promises on whether people have a "sense of humor".)

On the surface, this could be aspects of Second Life that would show up in "Tips" bubbles - if only the Viewers had those!

A few example Second Life "Life Hacks" (alternating "serious" and "not-so-serious"):

- Second Life is "free to use"!

- You Avatar cannot be "killed"! If you ever get logged out, just log back in.

- Your Second Life "chat logs" are stored on your computer, but you should not share them with anyone else.

- Some people do not call Second Life a "game"!

- You do not need to have a "home" in Second Life.

- Second Life is "social", but you do not have to socialize if you do not want to.

- You can change your avatar any time.

- Second Life has "dating"!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

- SL is moderated by Land-owners first, and Linden Lab* second. If someone is being mean to you, send an IM to whoever owns the land (look at world ->"about land") and politely explain your problem. You can also block people you don't like, and nobody can follow you if you teleport away.

- Third party viewers (TPV's) exist. They often have special features (Area search, built-in AO, RLV(a), better linux compatibility. . .) that the standard viewer from LL doesn't. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

- You can add local textures to an object without uploading them, but only you will see them.

- The Beta grid exists

- There are lots of free and low-price things on the marketplace. In-world "freebie" stores often just have "old junk" that long time residents might look down on.

* (bonus fact, Linden Lab is singular)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

- Do not use the Second Life Mature or Adult areas if you are under the stated minimum age.

- Second Life used to have a Teen Grid!

- The Second Life "General" areas are intended for users of all ages.

- Second Life is probably older than you.

- The Second Life and Marketplace Websites have General, Mature, and Adult settings.

- Second life is not as old as your Grandma, who also uses Second Life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Your Second Life "chat logs" are stored on your computer, but you should not share them with anyone else.

I do not save any chat logs and never have.  Ever.  When the moment is gone, it's over.

I live my SL only for today.

SL hacks:

For a happier SL, learn to let things go unless you logged in to argue with people.

Don't try to change anyone you meet in SL.

Every log in can be a new day with new possibilities.  Why try to relive the same day over and over?

Don't like something?  TP away or log out. 

*sigh * back to work now

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Ignore, mute & derender are your friends. If someone is hassling you do not under any circumstance respond. They will get bored and move on.

Never share your log in information, i.e., password with any one no matter how altruistic they may sound. Also note that under no circumstance would an employee of Linden Lab and/or any member of a Third Party Viewer team ever request your log in information. Report any one who pretends to be either of those.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

No matter how long you've been here or how much you think you know, there is always more to learn (and forget!)

No one is really an expert at anything in sl, no matter how confident they might seem, or pretend to be, not even employees!

You don't need to spend a rl cent, or your currency equivalent, to have a good time or have a good sl

Today's freebies aren't at all like those back in 2009, lmao. They still won't all be your cup of tea, but there are a lot more awesome ones out there today!

Not everyone is in sl for the same reason(s) you are, and that's okay! 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, but only to yourself.  

Many new folks do not realize that they cannot control how others see them.

There is always an alternative: face lights!!
Best are those, that light half a region at once. Other people around love that service. NOT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, try to extricate a stuck piece of toast out of a toaster with a metal fork!!!!

I tried once, and it nearly de-rezzed me!

Just delete the toaster. The toast will still be there.

....ok.....

Admittedly, I read the first part and thought you were being off topic!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

- Never forget to unplug sometimes and never listen to those people that say, Sleep is for the weak..They have been plugged in so long and lacking in sleep, that they are talking backwards..

_ Stay a virgin for as long as you can, it's one of the actual super powers that you can end losing on your own. So Ya, don't jump so fast to become powerless..

-When approached by a perve, never fear the perve.. the one you have to look out for is the one putting the perve down .. He's usually what we call the hero perve ,and they are some of the sneakiest perves of them all disguised as a hero..

Lets see,what else..

Oh ya,

-Every Friday, the sales start up, the good ones anyways and then they just get better over the weekend. Then everything starts over again on Monday.

That's all I have for now..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
To say this was moreto be a little on the silly side but still true..
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.