How would you feel if Second Life had a like/dislike rating for residents?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

These people I'm teaching landscaping to....they want to be GOOD.  They are often afraid to even begin.

I'm trying to get them to play, to LOVE what they're doing -- as a child would.  When you love what you do, most likely, eventually, you will  be good at it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am only saying those examples represent the "competition" at the heart of Second Life. Not that there are "ratings" involved, except better/worse, etc. I was trying to respond to your statement earlier which I interpreted as, "it is very cynical to say that Second Life is all about competition".

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is thred ded?

Gopi didn't contribute to it much.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well, NOW I'm depressed. * puts away cake, balloons, and toys *

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm not sure about that.

Why is a "fish taco" good, but a "crab taco" bad?

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..Pisces? Oops, that's fish.

..Scorpio? Oops, that's scorpions.

..Get yourself checked for "head lice"?

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

More like Betty Boop, or more like Baby Jane? (Whatever happened to her, anyway?)

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am only saying those examples represent the "competition" at the heart of Second Life. Not that there are "ratings" involved, except better/worse, etc. I was trying to respond to your statement earlier which I interpreted as, "it is very cynical to say that Second Life is all about competition".

Look Love, squirrel!

it__s_a_lion_squirrel_by_tenten_hyuga.jp

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is thred ded?

Gopi didn't contribute to it much.

I just saw there was massive disapproval to the idea. There's no use challenging your viewpoints because I agree with you all for the most part and like Scylla alluded to, I was just thinking out loud for the most part. In other words, I know it's a half baked idea anyway....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I just saw there was massive disapproval to the idea. There's no use challenging your viewpoints because I agree with you all for the most part and like Scylla alluded to, I was just thinking out loud for the most part. In other words, I know it's a half baked idea anyway....

Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I can genuinely say, Gopi, that I look forward to your threads. And good idea or poor one, it's seldom a bad thing to discuss issues like this, if only to establish why we think it's a poor idea.

Keep being you, Gopi. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can genuinely say, Gopi, that I look forward to your threads. And good idea or poor one, it's seldom a bad thing to discuss issues like this, if only to establish why we think it's a poor idea.

Keep being you, Gopi. 🙂

Heck, any thread where we get you to shoot the bird is entertaining, at minimum.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Keep being you, Gopi. 🙂

But... But...

The "Better People" around here keep saying we MUST NOT post negativity, even against the very worst ideas ever, or we'll be "Nancy Naysayers". Saying an idea is a sucky piece of drek that failed once and should NEVER EVER RETURN, is simply NOT allowed.

Remember their catchphrase "There's no such thing as a bad idea, they solve problems and lead to patents"!

;) 

( Regarding which, James Puckle, the inventor of a crew served, tripod mounted, 9 shot, 4-Bore flintlock revolver, intended to solve the problem of shooting ROUND bullets at people of the same religion, and SQUARE bullets at infidels, which idea he patented, and which sold about 3 copies, all to the same wealthy lunatic,  would seem to contradict that "Positivity Meme" )

• Like 2

Oh there's some truth to realistic Rita...yes...but one can go overboard and actually become TOO negative.

When that imbalance occurs depends on the people there.

Often one has to change their attitude to fit the group at hand, or much criticism ensues.

negativenancy2.png

Edited by Luna Bliss

46 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

But... But...

The "Better People" around here keep saying we MUST NOT post negativity, even against the very worst ideas ever, or we'll be "Nancy Naysayers". Saying an idea is a sucky piece of drek that failed once and should NEVER EVER RETURN, is simply NOT allowed.

Remember their catchphrase "There's no such thing as a bad idea, they solve problems and lead to patents"!

;) 

( Regarding which, James Puckle, the inventor of a crew served, tripod mounted, 9 shot, 4-Bore flintlock revolver, intended to solve the problem of shooting ROUND bullets at people of the same religion, and SQUARE bullets at infidels, which idea he patented, and which sold about 3 copies, all to the same wealthy lunatic,  would seem to contradict that "Positivity Meme" )

Some say they are "bad ideas"..

Some say they are.."Brilliant!"

1 minute ago, rasterscan said:

Ever seen them "192 Likes" head patting titlers inworld ? No ? Of course not. Well, anyway, could do one with a like or dislike button, a blue thumbs up and a red thumbs down. Wonder how that would go down inworld.

image.png.6c157933a7896f4122a8d3054d012660.png

Yep, and I even remember some type of "voting" at InfoHubs.

8 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Ever seen them "192 Likes" head patting titlers inworld ? No ? Of course not. Well, anyway, could do one with a like or dislike button, a blue thumbs up and a red thumbs down. Wonder how that would go down inworld.

👎👎 👎👎 👎👎 👎👎 👎👎

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's part of the software and likely can't be removed without removing all of the emojis. That should make someone happy.

I found out last year that if you use that particular one, you'll not only get your face slapped you'll also become a pariah like me. You are not allowed to stand up for yourself or defend yourself.

And lets not forget having an opinion that is at odds with the hive mind.

When you express a contrary opinion, they will accuse you of trolling and report you... because hey seriously, how could anyone actually believe such a thing... they must be trolling

😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And lets not forget having an opinion that is at odds with the hive mind.

When you express a contrary opinion, they will accuse you of trolling and report you... because hey seriously, how could anyone actually believe such a thing... they must be trolling

😂

Think it is expected of me to have a contrary opinion. Some would consider me to be trolling if I did agree with the hive mind. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's a big reason why I dislike sports -- it's too much about competition. Although I did like the movie about sports named Cool Runnings where the team opted to assist fellow sportsmen who were in trouble, causing them to lose the race if I remember right.

Yeah...there's judgement inworld....everyone has an opinion about what is best.

Personally, I stay as far away from competition as I can.  I choose my clothes because I think they're pretty, and it's not based on what anybody else does.

I create nature art out of love, and not to win any contest.

Competition is only part of sports..

I Barrel raced for years and it was some of the best years of my life..There was so many positive life lessons during that period.. Especially embracing  failure rather than looking to blame someone for mine..Most of them were during working to get better, because If I sat there and blamed anyone else for them, I would have not gotten any better and would have really failed when it came time to ride in..

SL competition is nothing like Barrel racing or the work that it takes to be able to get ready to even be competitive.

SL competitions is like comparing twitter likes to well , this.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Fixed one of my typos
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

ompetition is only part of sports..

I Barrel raced for years and it was some of the best years of my life..There was so many positive life lessons during that period.. Especially embracing  failure rather than looking to blame someone for mine..Most of them were during working to get better, because If I sat there and blamed anyone else for them, I would have not gotten any better and would have really failed when it came time to ride in..

Haha never done barrel racing but I can imagine it being a fun game. Like you, I've had competitive type experiences throughout my life that were beneficial to me in various ways.

I think, however, our Western world over-emphasizes competitiveness over cooperation to its detriment. We are way too close to a nuclear war because we do not value the importance of cooperation as well. There are ways to teach our children cooperation along with competition and they are not emphasized enough.
When we look at aboriginal tribes, both past and present, we see fierce competition, but we also see much more cooperation between individual members and between tribes than we see in much of the Western world societies.

It's interesting that many believe evolution was just a 'dog-eat-dog' climb to the top, but studies show that even on the most basic physical levels cooperation was, and still is, crucial for the evolution of life.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.