Help Need Please!!!!!!

Xiyuanbbb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol I see

I use a surgeon in one of my comebacks in 2nd life, and so is fresh in my mind.

People have tried to hire me for very cheap prices (like pennies for an hours worth of work), and say that I should do their job so cheaply because since I'm at artist I could complete it in very little time.  I say to them, should a surgeon receive pennies for a job because it only takes them a minute to make the cut?  In other words, it takes a whole lot of time and training to know where to make that 'cut'.

Whether or not this is true, I've no idea, but I heard it somewhere.

Salvador Dali was in a restaurant when a waitress asked him to do a little drawing on a napkin for her. So he did, and gave it to her. Then he said, "That'll be $10,000 please". She said, "But it only took you a few seconds" to which he replied, "My dear, it took a lifetime of drawing to produce that".

• Like 6

On 9/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, Sam Bellisserian said:

If you want serious answer you might want to refrain from using "I can be your girl" when asking for research data.  My answer would be no.  Also, excessive use of emoji's tells me a lot.

No, it's true. We always fill out questionnaires after pixel bumping. How would you rate this experience? Did you find everything satisfactory? What outfits would you care to see in the future?

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, Xiyuanbbb said:

Yes! You got me.

[snip]

Could you share a little bit about how SL affect your real life consumption patterns?

Do U  😀👍 🍰 or 🥧 ?

Is the 🎂 real ?

What do these 3 things have in common? 🥃  🍺  🧔

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To test if the OP is an AI bot
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Xiyuanbbb said:

My PhD research is focused on consumer behavior within the field of marketing. Specifically, I am examining how social virtual worlds, such as Second Life, can impact real-time, immersive social interactions that, in turn, influence consumers' consumption patterns in the real world.

Social virtual worlds offer a unique environment where individuals can interact, socialize, and engage in activities in a manner that can closely resemble real-life experiences. The connections and experiences forged within these virtual spaces often have implications on people's attitudes, preferences, and behaviors beyond the virtual environment.

For example, the relationships and social interactions we have in Second Life can influence our perceptions of products, brands, and even shopping preferences in the physical world. It's intriguing to study how these virtual experiences might shape our decision-making processes and consumer choices outside of the virtual realm.

I hope this provides a clearer understanding of the connection between my research and the discussion we're having about the potential impact of virtual experiences on real-life behaviors. I'd be happy to delve deeper or provide more information if you're interested

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I'm afraid my answer to your question isn't nearly as in-depth.  SL does not influence me to see out and buy anything in RL.  It is actually more the opposite.  I enjoy my SL time so much that I tend to put most of my "recreational" funds into my SL experience.  By the same token, I never was one to spend much money on RL entertainment outside the home anyway.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I am thinking the original posters posts are AI generated. Longer responses are coming quickly and they are word salads and stating obvious things.

More likely than not is that OP is taking word salad others have previously stated regarding the metaverse and online environments and trying to apply them to their own "research", or worse, pass them off as such by changing the verbiage a bit.

If OP is serious about the research and the content of this thesis, OP wouldn't be making comments about buying sl brands in rl because they simply don't exist and OP would know this. In other words, that whole "brands I like and buy in sl I then go out and buy in rl" was a total lie. Bad way to start your research off, lmao.

If I were actually advising this student, and I will use that term very loosely, I would not so gently suggest finding another thesis idea because this one won't provide much of anything at this rate. I have a hard time believing this person is getting a PH.D in marketing, given that they don't even seem to understand the concept very well and a doctorate program is certainly not an entry level program., so there should be a bit more competence. 

Then again, teachers often tell people "do your own work" and when using others' experience to broaden your research scope and available information you have to do so with a swift hand and small brush strokes, not a giant rag mop that flops the paint about willy nilly hoping to hit something. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

If OP is serious about the research and the content of this thesis, OP wouldn't be making comments about buying sl brands in rl because they simply don't exist and OP would know this. In other words, that whole "brands I like and buy in sl I then go out and buy in rl" was a total lie. Bad way to start your research off, lmao.

It's possible that when framing that question, the OP was going off very old information about SL from when we did have large brands like American Apparel with a presence here, and popular SL stores would partner with real-life businesses for promotion. It never made me want to buy from any of those brands in real life, most of them were American anyway.

There are some brands in SL who have expanded their business into RL, so this does exist. I have seen some stores do this and then promote their new real-life business in SL. I have not been interested in any of the offerings, though. I don't think it translates that if I want something from you to decorate my SL house, I will want to buy your candles or prints for my real home.

• Like 2

In college psychology studies, those conducting the study don't necessarily tell the subjects upfront what is actually being studied. I think we might be seeing a similar marketing study in this case. For instance, the test might be to see if pretending to be a regular SL resident gets more positive responses than saying she's a graduate student who has never actually used SL herself. It might be to see if AI can get more positive responses than an actual person can. It might be to see which thread with which wording gets more positive responses.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

It's possible that when framing that question, the OP was going off very old information about SL from when we did have large brands like American Apparel with a presence here, and popular SL stores would partner with real-life businesses for promotion

Possible, but highly unlikely. Most apparel, which the OP talked about, has not and would not take their creations to rl fashion production. It's not even remotely cost effective for even the most successful fashion brands in sl.  The cost to do so would be astronomical. I'm not talking about etsy or any other "put my designs on already existing materials" type of site either. That would be far easier.

Most of the rl brands that once existed in sl haven't in a very long time, and apparel brands were very limited to begin with. So it's not very likely OP did any research at all, or they would know this with one very quick search. 

If OP isn't some AI generation, it's just someone trying to get everyone else to do their work for them, which I find not only hilarious, but also not very likely for a doctorate level student who most definitely would have an advisor. If the advisor didn't tell OP to find some other avenue, the advisor should be fired too.  I'm not a fan of students getting others to do their research for them, especially at higher levels. It just screams lazy. 

• Like 1

This seems like a person who has just discovered SL and is possibly overwhelmed by the descriptive information available online. Everything written shows lack of knowledge. There are references to dating  "I can be your girl in SL!," and not knowing the difference between SL and RL brands "For the brand I knew from SL, I will try to buy the product from the same brand in my real life." The unusual use of the word consumption "RL consumption practises/patterns," with the misspelling of the word practices, and the use of emojis show either an attempt to elicit responses, an attempt to relate to others, or might just be a mediocre translation from a foreign language. The person might be attempting to appear knowledgeable and educated in order to have the post appear valid and be accepted. This may be someone who is confused about what SL is, perhaps a parent of a child who uses SL, and is quickly trying to find out what SL is about without actually participating.

Edited by kisket
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I considered this possibility too. Maybe the test is to see how we respond to AI generated posts and responses?

One way to test whether the OP is a 🤖, would be to respond with emojis.

Do U 👍 😀  🍰 or 🥧 ?

Is the 🎂 real?

What do these 3 things have in common ? 🧔 🍺 🥃 ?

I am real human, no need to doubt sis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kisket said:

The unusual use of the word consumption "RL consumption practises/patterns," with the misspelling of the word practices, and the use of emojis show either an attempt to elicit responses, an attempt to relate to others, or might just be a mediocre translation from a foreign language.

based on my own use of kiwi english, OP is using kiwi english in their shorter conversational replies, and american english in their longer replies. Kiwi English: practise, realise. American English: practice, realize

OP may/may not be a born kiwi, may/may not be an international student, but if has been  at Te Herenga Waka for any length of time, then I can understand them using practises in a convo

their (OP) using the word consumption in the context of consumption practises/patterns is not unusual. Consumption practise is a standard text of Economics, and also of Business and Government, both of which are Te Herenga Waka schools. OP could be doing either or both

note: Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington

ps. "sis" in a convo is a totally kiwi thing to say also in a neutral way. Is like "bro". Some people detest it when someone they don't know calls them "sis" or "bro". But thats a kiwi thing as well. Is left to the person it is said too, to take it how they want. Kiwi-ism. Get upset then sweet. Don't get upset then sweet as

Edited by elleevelyn
  • Thanks 4

On 9/19/2023 at 6:29 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

There could be a "butterfly effect" between the virtual and real worlds, whereby purchasing a mesh clothing outfit in SL, affects the price of tea in China in RL. IJS. 您好 中国人嘛?

49 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Gotta love all the spelling, grammar and language nazi's flooding out of the woodwork. Can't just answer the questions as asked but have to put up 4 pages of critique about how the question is asked

I teach little kids 4 days a week for a living and even they know not to ask everyone else to do the work for them.

Most of them are better at communicating too, and they've only just recently started their educational paths. 

A doctorate student should absolutely know better, period. I will definitely critique someone claiming to be a doctorate student who clearly doesn't even have a grasp on what that entails. If you can't ask the questions you want asked right, how do you expect any of the answers to be accurate? Ignoring any and all typos or possible grammatical errors, there are plenty of other errors in the information OP shared that scream "I'm lying". 

I really wish people would stop using the word Nazi so flippantly, but I can understand why someone who does wouldn't even notice the wording others use, as they clearly lack good judgment themselves and would easily overlook it. 

Edited by Casidy Silvercloud
  • Like 1

Just now, Casidy Silvercloud said:

I teach little kids 4 days a week for a living and even they know not to ask everyone else to do the work for them.

Most of them are better at communicating too, and they've only just recently started their educational paths. 

A doctorate student, should absolutely know better, period. I will definitely critique someone claiming to be a doctorate student who clearly doesn't even have a grasp on what that entails. If you can't ask the questions you want asked right, how do you expect any of the answers to be accurate. Ignoring any and all typos or possible grammatical errors, here are plenty of other errors in the information OP shared that scream "I'm lying". 

I really wish people would stop using the word Nazi so flippantly, but I can understand why someone who does wouldn't even notice the wording others use, as they clearly lack good judgment themselves and would easily overlook it. 

My niece is a teacher of primary age children. I got fed up because she never spells my name correctly, but then I recently found out that she has misspelt her own name on her Facebook account incorrectly, transposing the 'l' and the 'e', so something must be going on in her brain, because otherwise she is well thought of in her place of learning, and is sometimes the stand-in headteacher. 

When it comes to grammar, that word nazi only needs a small 'n'. Just a 21st century phrase, nothing to get our knockers in a knit about.

Life becomes a lot easier when we don't sweat the small stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

A doctorate student should absolutely know better, period. I will definitely critique someone claiming to be a doctorate student who clearly doesn't even have a grasp on what that entails. If you can't ask the questions you want asked right, how do you expect any of the answers to be accurate? Ignoring any and all typos or possible grammatical errors, there are plenty of other errors in the information OP shared that scream "I'm lying". 

I'm in a virtual world (SL) where many of the residents are international and not native english speakers and as such I often find I have to use my education to interpret what someone really meant. Learning typonese for example is a skill that helps smoothen the flow of conversation which is after all the main purpose that many are here for. Being able to understand another person regardless of their education level or background is where our own intelligence and learning should come into play rather then berating those who might not have a good grasp of the language.  Besides, every supposed teacher has their own bias about how a question should be asked. 

The nazi thing was an out and out dog whistle. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

When it comes to grammar, that word nazi only needs a small 'n'. Just a 21st century phrase, nothing to get our knockers in a knit about.

Life becomes a lot easier when we don't sweat the small stuff

Words have meaning, whether we want to attach it or not. When the word is used flippantly as a means to degrade others, it absolutely should be pointed out. There are far better words one can use. Anyone who feels the need to use it that way, has very little to offer any kind of conversation. 

That doesn't mean I "sweat" it, though. 

Just now, Casidy Silvercloud said:

Words have meaning, whether we want to attach it or not. When the word is used flippantly as a means to degrade others, it absolutely should be pointed out. There are far better words one can use. Anyone who feels the need to use it that way, has very little to offer any kind of conversation. 

That doesn't mean I "sweat" it, though. 

OK,

It's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Being able to understand another person regardless of their education level or background is where our own intelligence and learning should come into play rather then berating those who might not have a good grasp of the language. 

There is a difference between casual conversation, or even serious conversation, and someone looking for others to do their doctoral work. I took every thesis, every dissertation I ever did pretty seriously. Students that don't, won't make it very far, in my experience. Having an advisor that doesn't help you take it seriously can be just as problematic.

If it's presented as just a conversation, just someone looking to see if their own personal habits which are affected by sl is having the same experience as others, it's taken differently.

Context plays a big role in responses you might get. That's like using dog whistles to rile people up which might get the responses you want, but it will also lessen anything you say moving forward. 

As I tell the 6 year old children "if you have to call people names to make your point, your point isn't valid". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

There is a difference between casual conversation, or even serious conversation, and someone looking for others to do their doctoral work. I took every thesis, every dissertation I ever did pretty seriously. Students that don't, won't make it very far, in my experience. Having an advisor that doesn't help you take it seriously can be just as problematic.

If it's presented as just a conversation, just someone looking to see if their own personal habits which are affected by sl is having the same experience as others, it's taken differently.

Context plays a big role in responses you might get. That's like using dog whistles to rile people up which might get the responses you want, but it will also lessen anything you say moving forward. 

As I tell the 6 year old children "if you have to call people names to make your point, your point isn't valid". 

this elephant is glad you are here Casidy to teach our poster how to be a good doctoral student

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:
42 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Being able to understand another person regardless of their education level or background is where our own intelligence and learning should come into play rather then berating those who might not have a good grasp of the language. 

Well I agree with what you've said here, but there's another side -- it's more complicated and there's more context.

I see our OP as a fairly new person here, and when people are new they don't know the ropes, and so I want to go a bit easy on them. In addition to being new she seems to be from another country, and so is further disadvantaged.

I get how you value education and doing things right, but still I think we should cut her a little slack due to the facts I mentioned above.

I get what you say about context in communication, and why some would find her post off-putting, but perhaps she used the mentioning of her educational status as a way to tell others she's on a serious mission and needs help. Had she posted in a casual way, as you mentioned, perhaps others would not take her seriously (most especially as a new person I've noticed others aren't too eager to help those not more established here).

So you see, there's another perspective here as to how we should treat such a person, most especially when they don't know any better. I tend to reserve such criticism for those who consciously know they're infringing on rules, and am hesitant to criticize those who are more innocent.

Of concern to me too, is how we treat new people in such a way that we demonstrate SL in general is a gracious, welcoming place. Nothing demonstrates such a dynamic better than how we treat new people. Who knows...she could have become an interesting forum member, teaching us the ways of New Zealand. But now I'm concerned she finds this place unwelcoming and feels hesitant to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Moles

Hi gang!

The forum participation guidelines remind us that hostile or disruptive posts, or messages intended to provoke an angry or negative response are not allowed here. If you have constructive things to add to a conversation, please do. If your comments are more likely to simply stir the pot and derail things, please step back from the keyboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.