When Second Life happens in Real Life

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I saw this news story on YouTube and had to share it, because it reminded me so much of living on SL mainland.

If you have any other video, pictures or stories that are clearly examples of Second Life happening in Real Life, please post them to this thread too.

Yeah, that's NOT a "SL Skybox on the ground" or whatever, it's an unfinished two tory building, which from the video, won't be much different in height to the two story house next door, once the roof is on, and which is clearly intended to have a "matching themed stone and stucco" finish applied over the walls.

The HOA b*tch complaining that it "went up overnight" would have complained even more if it had been built without using pre-fabricated sections, with weeks of construction traffic and noise and dust etc..

About the only SL thing this mirrors is the "Bellicosian neighbourhood snitch AR Spam" thing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9db1a4438a1c00facb3fbdd013e3e34d.jpg

Is the cathedral or are the surrounding skyscrapers the eyesore(s)?
Definitely Mainland plots.

I mean, St Patrick's Cathedral is a beautiful church, but totally out of place next to the skyscraper.
When I saw it in 1988, I just found the Neo- Gothic style church totally misplaced in this environment (or that skyscraper next to it).

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

That's just an unfinished building. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

All buildings take time. This one just happens to be a little bigger.

It is about time that rez boxes hit the RL market.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Lesson to be learned: Avoid covenant free mainland.
Even in RL.

This SOUNDS good, until the HOA comes after you for some slight infraction, or to collect "dues" (similar to condominium fees).

I am lucky in RL to live in an "unincorporated" area (not in a city) where there are fewer rules.  Sure, I have to look at the neighborhood blight, but it also means I don't have to fix up my house to make someone else happy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I saw this news story on YouTube and had to share it, because it reminded me so much of living on SL mainland.

If you have any other video, pictures or stories that are clearly examples of Second Life happening in Real Life, please post them to this thread too.

I can certainly see why this would remind you of Second Life mainland. It does look ugly, but is a work in progress, and at least all the people in the near neighbourhood should and would (surely they do in this part of the USA what they do in the UK), have been informed of the plans so they could comment or object to them. 

At least in real life they can't do what someone did to my ex-partner in Second Life, rezz a bunch of warships pointing at the building! 

• Haha 8

26 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I can certainly see why this would remind you of Second Life mainland. It does look ugly, but is a work in progress, and at least all the people in the near neighbourhood should and would (surely they do in this part of the USA what they do in the UK), have been informed of the plans so they could comment or object to them. 

At least in real life they can't do what someone did to my ex-partner in Second Life, rezz a bunch of warships pointing at the building! 

Normally, people are not told the building plans of their neighbors. In this case, the people were adding a garage to their property, and it is within regulations. The neighbors are unhappy because it's big and ugly (like some mainland builds). The people building it say others should allow everyone to do what makes them happy (like on mainland). There is no HOA and everything is legal. Also note the swimming pool between the house and garage, which look like many SL pools.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

RL...or Public Sandbox? :o

Reminds me of the news Item I saw about "Gay Furry Hackers"..(random Google results below).

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/07/gay-furry-hackers-are-attacking-anti-transgender-states/

https://themessenger.com/news/gay-furries-claim-responsibility-for-texas-data-hack-over-anti-trans-laws

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Furries existed in RL before they were Second Life though.

• Like 8

building out the view

i have been following the effort in Cambodia to build a modern civilisation (civil infrastructure) on the ruins of the old. Something that historically many civilisations have down the centuries. Flatten and bury the old and then build new on top of it

this particular project in the vid seems a bit egregious to me (they are also fencing out the neighbours lake view as the build progresses, which any SLer with a water view they don't own can sympathise with)

while  this particular project in the vid is bit suss in my view, the work in other areas of the country has brought real benefits in some cases. Particularly in remote villages that are being connected with modern roadways to replace dirt tracks which are highly susceptible to the monsoons,  and the filling in of open sewers in some villages which is a good thing

other thing I have noticed is that when they build a new roadway, it is some metres above existing ground level which causes still lakes and ponds (which turn into sludge pits when the water has nowhere to go) to form on the private properties next to the new road. Upon which the landowner then fills in their land up to the new road level. Which is a pretty SL thing to do also. Flatten the land

the fill material is pretty variable. From quality rock, clay and sand, all the way down to raw garbage. There doesn't seem to be much of a building code in this regard, bit like SL mainland really

any of today's Western building inspectors would have kittens on some of these projects. Little if any quality controls, site or worker health and safety requirements, no personal safety gear for the workers. no traffic management plan 

i looked into my own country's (NZ) past practices and came to see that Cambodia today is about the same as NZ was 50 years where there was also in those days little to no oversight on building codes or site / worker health and safety regulations, so I am not as harsh in my thinking as I was when I first started watching these vids. Trying to go from a 3rd world country to a 1st world is pretty fraught

but yeah SL mainland does come to mind

anyways here is the vid. If SL was applied to the RL then this is what you could expect

add ps. There are heaps of these vids. Keywords: BULLDOZER CAMBODIA.  How to make money online if you in a country which is building civil infrastructure on a massive scale: Get a drone, make vids, post

Edited by elleevelyn
add ps
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1