Official or Firestorm?

Bazzilla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Properly fried and fresh French fries/ chips don't need extra seasoning besides a little salt, but are a wonderful carrier for all kinds of other flavors. My general fast food choice would be ranch dressing rather than ketchup, but I love me some chilli cheese fries. Brits also like curry fries, while Canadians like poultine .

Btw, one of my favorite quotes from this forum was when someone said Second Life smells like baked potatoes. 🥔 

Second Life has always smelled like freshly cut grass and plywood. I wonder if the person who said SL smells like baked potatoes was cooking baked potatoes the first time they ever created an avatar and logged in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Bazzilla said:

I'm going to give Firestorm a go, but I have a sneaky suspicion I'll end up sticking with the official viewer.

Use Area Search and de-clutter the ugly bottom bar by deleting buttons and moving everything to the right.. and I doubt you'll go back to that official viewer :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did not see any mention in the thread yet of using "malt vinegar" as a condiment for chips/fries. IJS.

I am pretty sure that someone said "salt and vinegar". They are the standard things to put on fish and chips, although over here gravy is quite popular in fish and chip shops, as is salad cream. Utterly ridiculous lol. I like some tomato sauce as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I am pretty sure that someone said "salt and vinegar". They are the standard things to put on fish and chips, although over here gravy is quite popular in fish and chip shops, as is salad cream. Utterly ridiculous lol. I like some tomato sauce as well.

What is the world is salad cream? 🥗  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can only speak for my own experience in the US, but "fast food" places that specialized in fried fish, would always have "malt vinegar" on the table.  I intentionally put the vinegar on my fries at those places (not just on the fish)!

Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.  Best hush puppies, too.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You don't know? Wow! Heinz originated it, and it's still the best. No copy that I've tasted gets near it. It looks like mayo but it's taste is sharper. It's why I often say that the taste of mayo is too bland.

I assume that salad cream was invented to put on leaf salads - lettuce etc. It is good with all of the things that go on those salads, including cold potatoes. I also use it in tomato sandwiches, egg sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches, and salad sandwiches of course. But on fish and chips - no way! But some people do. See if you can buy a bottle. I'm sure you'll like it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Salad Dressing often confused with Mayo.

Salad dressing has no egg.  

Miracle Whip was the brand my mother used to use for potato salad 

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the Moles will love this thread when they come back to work tomorrow. 
Brilliant example for staying on topic for pages.......
but about the wrong subject.  😂

And of course  .... french fries deserve a side order of mayo, even every Dutch child can tell you that.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Edited because it is allowed. :)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

You don't know? Wow! Heinz originated it, and it's still the best. No copy that I've tasted gets near it. It looks like mayo but it's taste is sharper. It's why I often say that the taste of mayo is too bland.

I assume that salad cream was invented to put on leaf salads - lettuce etc. It is good with all of the things that go on those salads, including cold potatoes. I also use it in tomato sandwiches, egg sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches, and salad sandwiches of course. See if you can buy a bottle. I'm sure you'll like it.

You're in Canada, right? I don't think this is a thing in California, though it might be in other parts of the US.

What you've said keeps reminding me of what was called "American dressing" in an English restaurant when I visited there. It was just mayonnaise on iceberg lettuce, and I was mildly horrified that this substance received the name "American" as its descriptor. Then again, the US invented American cheese, which is almost as blandly horrible to my taste as mayonnaise is.

I'm weird, but I prefer humus to mayonnaise when mixing up tuna salad and always plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Use Area Search and de-clutter the ugly bottom bar by deleting buttons and moving everything to the right.. and I doubt you'll go back to that official viewer :)

That's pretty much what I do for Firestorm, get rid of the buttons I don't need.

I did use the regular viewer for my first several months, but once I started using Firestorm, I stuck with it.

Also, it's all about A1 and/or cheese sauce for fries!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Salad Dressing often confused with Mayo.

Salad dressing has no egg.  

Miracle Whip was the brand my mother used to use for potato salad 

Miracle Whip is another atrocity in my book, because it has sugar in it.

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

This thread is on topic for Labor Day though, because we're talking about food on a holiday made for picnics and barbecues. Next we should discuss making deviled eggs, and if we really want a heated argument, how to make the best potato salad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You're in Canada, right? I don't think this is a thing in California, though it might be in other parts of the US.

Nope. England.

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm weird, but I prefer humus to mayonnaise when mixing up tuna salad and always plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.

That's another sandwich that I include some salad cream with - tuna :)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It would be great if they deleted all the posts about SL viewers but left the chip debate 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Nope. England.

That's another sandwich that I include some salad cream with - tuna :)

Tuna and mayonnaise with cheese is one of the BEST sandwich fillings ever.

My auntie would mix up either pink salmon with a chopped up fresh tomato and salad cream to eke it out for as many sandwiches as possible. It was delicious.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I assume that salad cream was invented to put on leaf salads - lettuce etc. It is good with all of the things that go on those salads, including cold potatoes. I also use it in tomato sandwiches, egg sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches, and salad sandwiches of course. But on fish and chips - no way! But some people do. See if you can buy a bottle. I'm sure you'll like it.

Sainsbury's own brand of salad cream compares well and is a fraction of the price of Heinz. Ditto their tomato ketchup, which may be slightly sharper, but just slightly. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I looked up what is salad cream and what would be the american version of it and the closest thing  was,

Miracle Whhhhhh....

jim-carrey-gag.gif

Miracle WHIP!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

It would be great if they deleted all the posts about SL viewers but left the chip debate 😂

I'd be fine with that tbf. I'm far more interested in finding out what everybody likes with their fish and chips now! 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I use the standard LL viewer, which I'm happy with these days. I have a version of Firestorm which I use for accessing OpenSim but for SL I only use the LL viewer.

There have been times in the past when the LL viewer of the day was having performance issues and so I used a third party viewer.

And . . . I prefer the white puff-clouds the LL viewer has for unrezzed avatars to the orange puff-clouds of Firestorm!

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.