deserted Gorean sims and combat in my time zone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

so reducing the population even more and one less reason for new people to come to SL, resulting in those who look to clean up SL of any adult activities that they don't like,  getting bored and go off to look for new worlds to clean up.

Wait . . . you mean I can actually get rid of them???? JUST BY PUSHING??? 😮

Get a grip Arielle. It was a joke, its non-serious nature underlined by the fact that I quite clearly have no way of "getting rid of the Goreans" even if I wanted to.

I am on record, countless times here and going back more than 14 years, as being against bans on adult activities, including, yes, Gor.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wait . . . you mean I can actually get rid of them???? JUST BY PUSHING??? 😮

Get a grip Arielle. It was a joke, its non-serious nature underlined by the fact that I quite clearly have no way of "getting rid of the Goreans" even if I wanted to.

I am on record, countless times here and going back more than 14 years, as being against bans on adult activities, including, yes, Gor.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though!

You have 5 negative posts about the roleplay lifestyle and yet it was all just jokes? Ok, my apologies, carry on. 

I used to roleplay heavily back in the early years circa 2008.  Gor (as a free woman in the Guild of Scribes, the blue robes, if you are wondering), City of Lost Angels, where I eventually became a vampire and many other roleplays.

In the beginning of my time in Gor there were some great story lines, some quite epic, like one that nearly ended in a war between the Ubars of my home city and Port Kar due to an unfortunate incident where myself and another free woman happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and witnessed something we shouldn't have.  The Ubars backed down after much chest beating and sword play as you might expect.

However as time went by all the great story lines disappeared and even the OK stories faded away and what replaced it were a lot of interpersonal dramas and infighting.  More and more it became a game of making the free women into slaves for any tiny infraction of the rules or via raids and then they were handed around like candy.  Even though there were plenty of slaves there.  There was no imagination left to any of it.

In the end I did the only sane thing I could do, I left.  I had an RP limit of not being made a slave and so that was that.  None of it was officially sanctioned by the region owner and I don't think they realised the half of what was going on with their players.  I lost all interest in Gor at that point.

I cannot comment on any recent Gorean RP because I never returned to it.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How many new users come into SL because they want to do Gorean roleplay? Isn't that a fad of the previous generation? Does anyone younger than 50 even know what Gor is?

I read one old paperback of the first book in the series. it was poorly written crap. Harry Potter Fan Fiction would be more popular with the younger generations (and most of them aren't big fans of J.K. Rowling.)

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How many new users come into SL because they want to do Gorean roleplay? Isn't that a fad of the previous generation? Does anyone younger than 50 even know what Gor is?

I read one old paperback of the first book in the series. it was poorly written crap. Harry Potter Fan Fiction would be more popular with the younger generations (and most of them aren't big fans of J.K. Rowling.)

I don't know the answer to that but I hadn't even heard of Gor until I stumbled across it in SL.  Back then it seemed like everyone was doing Gor roleplay.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Does anyone younger than 50 even know what Gor is?

The only place I ever see it mentioned is in SL forums.  I still don't know much about it, just what I have read on the forums.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

The only place I ever see it mentioned is in SL forums.  I still don't know much about it, just what I have read on the forums.

I encountered Gor in SL, and was instantly repelled by it, but out of curiosity, I did some research into where this drek came from.

So...

Imagine the WORST Philosophy Graduate ever spawned by some 5th rate Cow College, decided for his doctorate thesis paper, on the following.

Premise 1. It's ok for academics to discuss stuff like atheism behind closed doors as long as NONE of the plebs ever find out because

Premise 2. If the plebs find out about it, they wont fear divine punishment for not doing as they are told, and

Premise 3. Civilisation will instantly collapse into a myriad of chaotic law breakers, and workers rights types, with thousands of mad religious splinter cults, and no central unifying authority, and middle class ivory tower academia life as we know it will end.

So as you can already see, John Norman had basically failed to notice the entir3ety of recorded human History over the last 6000 plus years.

So based on these 3 statements, he proposed that humanity adopt a "new and more natural societal model" that would solve all the problems. And the model he proposed was basically a mishmash of all the worst elements of two discredited 19th C German Proto Fascist philosophers.

Basically, Women make you weak, so as to cripple your male supremacy, and the strong must kill the weak. This would lead to a perfect society where the small number of remaining males would all be  UberMench, and there would be plenty of lonely inferior females for them to own, even after killing off the old or ugly, or non subservient ones, and the muscle bound thugs who run the world will still have a need for Scribe Class academics, and largely leave them alone to talk pseudo-intellectual drivel at each other over big dinners with brandy and cigars.

Needless to say, while this drek was considered "an original contribution to human thought" or close enough to get him his degree, the Academic Community as a whole failed to endorse and support his ideas.

So he decided to spread the word to the plebs "subtly" via a series of appallingly bad "science fantasy" novels designed to appeal to the "15-25 fratboy incel geek" crowd.

During my web research I also stumbled on a transcript of an interview with the man, in which he stated that "There is no BDSM in Gor" because "Gor is all that is beautiful" and that BDSM wasn't beautiful, presumably because participants actually have a choice.

Welcome to Gor,, your social Class is "Lower than a beggar's dog", and you permitted weapon type is "the potato", PS all infractions are punishable by Rape-Torture-Kill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Istelathis said:
8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Does anyone younger than 50 even know what Gor is?

The original books had nice artwork! I used to see copies in a used bookstore, years ago. (I've never read them.)

Ahah! I should have known, I always loved Boris Vallejo's artwork.

SFW, Fantasy Art.

https://www.blackgate.com/2011/06/01/art-of-the-genre-the-art-of-gor/

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

I had never heard of Gor before joining SL and my first glimpse of anything related was reading a man's profile at a dance club I frequented.  In his 1st life tab, he had written something to the effect of "being a RL Gorean Master for 15 years".  Curious, as I am, I looked up what a Gorean Master was.    Still laugh when I think about that.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I had never heard of Gor before joining SL and my first glimpse of anything related was reading a man's profile at a dance club I frequented.  In his 1st life tab, he had written something to the effect of "being a RL Gorean Master for 15 years".  Curious, as I am, I looked up what a Gorean Master was.    Still laugh when I think about that.   

If only Goreans in SL dressed in the homoerotic style of the book cover artwork (see my edited post above)!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Pretty much any man I ever met in Gor claimed to be a RL Gorean Master.  It was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The original books had nice artwork! I used to see copies in a used bookstore, years ago. (I've never read them.)

SFW, Fantasy Art.

I never read any of the books whilst I was in Gor - didn't even know it came from books until I'd been there a while.  Much later and much like you I came across a used copy of one of the books but at a Sunday market.  I read a handful of chapters while browsing and I have to say, it was some of the most dreadful drivel I have ever read.  The RP I had known only seemed to have a passing resemblance to what I was reading and probably means that in reality most were just playing out some generic pseudo-medieval RP in a highly sexual and obviously male dominated way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

SFW, Fantasy Art.

Been a huge fan of Boris and Julie forever, and I'm annoyed that he did cover art for those books. 

No idea how I never knew that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Been a huge fan of Boris and Julie forever, and I'm annoyed that he did cover art for those books. 

No idea how I never knew that.

When I was a cub and went to Sci-Fi Conventions (that's all we had back then!), I'd always look for the Boris books. And, the mall bookstore would have Boris calendars EVERY year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Gor was pretty much everywhere on the net 20 years ago. Active Worlds, ICQ, Webmaze, etc. They pretty much kept to themselves mostly until SL came along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

SFW, Fantasy Art.

TBH, the covers by Christos Achilleos on later editions in the UK were much better from what I've seen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

the muscle bound thugs who run the world

Funny thing about that. According to Norman, Gor had lower gravity than Earth yet somehow the humans were musclebound. Even in the 60s we knew that lower gravity meant you weighed less and had less muscle mass.

There are many holes in Norman's gravitational theories. While lesser gravity would make a person lighter and would allow for one leaping a short distance to leap much farther than intended, it would also considerably slow such person. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, all it would take is a gentle push then?

12 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Please Coffee, can you opine about something besides more sex and slavery here?

11 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How many threads do we need to discuss this in? It seems to creep into every thread.

This is why I'm not here in the general sense.

The forum walks in ignorant lock step. If it's not our fun it's no fun and it's not allowed.

I wonder why the sex creeps into everything ..

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I encountered Gor in SL, and was instantly repelled by it, but out of curiosity, I did some research into where this drek came from.

So...

Imagine the WORST Philosophy Graduate ever spawned by some 5th rate Cow College, decided for his doctorate thesis paper, on the following.

It's pulp fantasy. Some of the very worst pulp fantasy ever committed to print.

It's not serious.

Most of the people who enjoy and read Gor are women, why .. because every book is a romance novel dressed up in some barely cohesive sci-fi/fantasy world building. Every single book has the same formula. Why are all the men BEEFCAKES .. same reason all the girls are nubile bikini clad. DUH.

Yes, of course some people get _really_ into it and fashion a facsimile of it into a lifestyle .. which really ends up being fantasy D/s and ignores 90% of what's in the books as that's murder and abuse.

As a role-play it works fairly well as it provides strong theming (everyone dress and act the same) and a self sustaining game loop.

Players don't need to make stuff up to keep the fun going. Lets go annoy bob & friends in their castle .. oh no bob&co got angry and captured us .. but we escape .. now bob&co are coming to our castle camp .. some of us got captured (oh no!) .. but we escape .. sometimes people don't want to escape because that's fun too and follows the exact same loop (bob wants coffee black wine, oh no I did it wrong to annoy bob, here he comes with some funishment).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Funny thing about that. According to Norman, Gor had lower gravity than Earth yet somehow the humans were musclebound. Even in the 60s we knew that lower gravity meant you weighed less and had less muscle mass.

There are many holes in Norman's gravitational theories. While lesser gravity would make a person lighter and would allow for one leaping a short distance to leap much farther than intended, it would also considerably slow such person. 

Hah, I stopped worrying about the "science" at the idea of giant super intelligent space ants who try to limit technology amongst their pet humans by killing anyone with a 3 digit IQ score with orbital bombardment weapons, then when the resulting genetic shift wins them the "What Planety Magazine" yearly award for dumbest planet in the Galaxy for the 500th year running, try to fix the low average IQ by importing WILD humans from Earth, who know much better tech than the stuff they were killing people for.

"A blacksmith has invented the horse collar, destroy the village from orbit.

Oh crap there goes the average IQ again, I know lets import a mechanical engineer from EArth to revitalise the gene pool, and hope he doesn't tell anyone about assault rifles and how to make them..."

Cracks me up every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've met a couple of RL Gorean masters in a RL BDSM group. One was a retired cop who's wife and secondary were his submissives. They both worked outside the home and helped support the household.

Real BDSM was the framework of the group these people were in, so it seemed to me like their Gorean principles were simply a way to frame women as fitting into this imaginary "all real women are submissive to men" fantasy while they acted out their fan fiction cosplay. I like dressing up for historical recreation or cosplay, so I made a cute rabbit fur halter top and skirt to dress as a panther woman for one event. I never saw the men dress up, though they would not have looked good in one of those Conan outfits, so it's a blessing they didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, all it would take is a gentle push then?

12 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Please Coffee, can you opine about something besides more sex and slavery here?

12 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

How many threads do we need to discuss this in? It seems to creep into every thread.

This is why I'm not here in the general sense.

The forum walks in ignorant lock step. If it's not our fun it's no fun and it's not allowed.

Nobody said your fun is not allowed...quite the contrary.

But you have started multiple threads to try to get others to believe things they obviously don't believe, and you go on and on about it.

It seems to me that you left, or escaped into an alt, just because you couldn't get your way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.