Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Now that's creepy. You sound just like Orwar. 🤭

I have no idea what you talk about.

dracula-wine.gif

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

I'm an alt on the forum, because so many people are petty and if you disagree with them, they hunt you down and boycott you or keep digging at you every chance they get.

Yeah I've had that happen but I consider it a gift...I like to know who the petty people are so I can ignore them. I mean heaven forbid I would actually become friends with them inworld!   And, if they boycott  I really wouldn't want my pretty lil things on their land anyway, so when they threaten to never buy my stuff again (as has happened) I tell them that :)

I do understand though, just wanting to eliminate the hassle.

Edited by Luna Bliss

Well, I am an alt too.  Note I post once in a while here, if I have something to say.

My Main has posted here about 3 times in the last 10 years, and 2 of them were because I forgot to log into the Community. 

The only time my Main posted here was to say Hi to a neighbor who had recently opened her clothing store next to my parcel on a private island.  I didn't want to say Hi as Jaylin, since she didn't know my alt, and I had a habit of checking her Letter Chairs everyday until I had every last free item she ever offered.  My Main did pay for a few gowns for my partner from her new store.  He is generous to everyone, but ME.

As to why my Main, who has two businesses in SL, never posts here.  Simple - no advantage to post with my business's listed at the bottom of my posts, because most in this forum seem to hate both businesses.  And out of the 1200 friends on my list, I have never found one that even knows about the SL forum.  Don't advertise sand for sale in the Sahara to peeps who have no computer (well something like that.)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

So my thought was I wonder what people think of that, not just, or even primarily whether people approve of alts here.

I don't really think about it, so it doesn't seem to bother me much.  I do like seeing familiar faces though, because I feel more comfortable in replying to others I have some familiarity with on the forums, I know what interests they may have so I can bring that up in a topic, or their style of humor so I can try to engage with them using that.  I might know what might peeve them off, so I can try to avoid certain topics with some people, and so on.

This is the only avatar I reply to others on the forums or give out any of the reactions with, it would almost be pointless to have more for me.  I think with all of my spelling mistakes, lousy grammar, and general tone it would be pretty easy for others to narrow down it being from me, plus I don't see the benefit in it.  I don't like making others feel bad, and if I don't want to talk about certain issues with this avatar, I will not want to talk about them with another.  I dislike arguing with people, so I haven't been temp banned from the forum, so there is no need to pop back in here while in SL Forum jail. 

Edit:
I do have one alt I read the forums with though, while mobile.  Her password is stored in chrome, the password for this account is stored in keypass which I don't have on my phone.  I don't like storing my passwords on chrome anymore, so I just use her to be able to have full access the forums.  I don't post with her anymore, she was my original avatar in SL but doesn't get much use outside of pictures or keeping vehicles from derezzing.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

I got called an alt, it feels like a privilege! It started off as some weird "how u been here so long and not no anything"[sic] and quickly rose to mr toad's wild ride of insanity. I rode that train until it came to a very abrupt and rude stop too. It was awesome!

I have been here a long time and there's a lot I don't know about sl anymore because I left before everything really took off apparently. That just made it even more funny.  Me, I don't care if people have alts. You do you, I do me and we're all square. I don't care about people's alts. I'm just not invested enough in other people to care if they want to play the multi-av game. I don't think most mean any harm. Anyone who does, who cares? Let them do their thing, eventually they get bored or move on. If not, at least it's entertaining to watch!  I don't have alts, but that's because I'm having a hard enough time coming back to mesh, figuring out how everything works, deleting lms and emptying my inventory of old crap. I'm too busy to handle even one of me. I don't have alts in rl either, for the same reason!

• Like 2

I'm thinking about making an alt but I don't want to go through the process of making another avatar. It's frustrating and costs a fortune. I have barely any free time to be in secondlife as it is. Being able to explore and meet friends without being spied on would be nice. Everyone would know it was me. Maybe I will make an alt and be provocative on the forums just to annoy @Rowan Amore

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I don't think people should post here with their alts.  If I strongly suspect or find out that someone is doing that on an ongoing basis then it can make me suspicious of that person and their motives.  It will colour my judgement of them and I then tend to think of them as manipulative and dishonest.

Here are a few exceptions to this I consider OK:

a) Announce who their main is from their alt account and vice-versa for all others to see.
b) Accounts that are obvious alts and are used infrequently to make a humorous point.
c) People who've abandoned or lost access to their original account (I don't count banned people in this as they have no business making another account)

What's absolutely unforgivable is when people use their alts to bolster their opinions with likes, thanks and written text to agree with each other.

I don't bring alts to the forums and I don't expect others to generally.  There have certainly been times when it would have been reputational easier to have my sometimes controversial opinions not associated with this account but I believe that is an ethically bankrupt path to take by people who are too weak to own their own opinions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If I strongly suspect or find out that someone is doing that on an ongoing basis then it can make me suspicious of that person and their motives.  It will colour my judgement of them and I then tend to think of them as manipulative and dishonest.

This^^^^

I honestly do not care what kind of shenanigans people get into while inworld.  If one posts here on an alt that they just use to post here, that's fine, too.  It's the same reason people have business and personal avatars.  Not a problem.  

I really only started posting here in 2020 on a regular basis.  That's 3 years.  If someone has used 5 different accounts to post in the forums in 3 years, that is deceitful in my opinion and certainly makes me question their integrity in general.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this topic is about having alts in general.  I know some that have 50 alts, and 49 of them are used in their business.  It can be profitable if you like to gamble on random chances.

Sometimes my Main has greeted and talked to a few of the forum members here, in world.  Since I know all about them, and they know nothing of my Main, I sometimes drop a few things that shock them.  How do you know that about me? 

I just tell them I have installed spycams in their favorite hair and can monitor them 24/7.  Funny how they change hairs after that.

I have even said Hi to Rowan.  She left immediately...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I don't think this topic is about having alts in general.  I know some that have 50 alts, and 49 of them are used in their business.  It can be profitable if you like to gamble on random chances.

Sometimes my Main has greeted and talked to a few of the forum members here, in world.  Since I know all about them, and they know nothing of my Main, I sometimes drop a few things that shock them.  How do you know that about me? 

I just tell them I have installed spycams in their favorite hair and can monitor them 24/7.  Funny how they change hairs after that.

Was Hi all you said?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Was Hi all you said? 

No, I might have said, Hi Rowan, nice to see you here.

But I greet as part of my jobs, so can't always say.  I usually don't say just Hi, in local unless they already know me.  I don't IM strangers unless they look like noobies and are lost, so must have been in public local.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I don't really know you except by what you post here and I am sure you are just trying to be humorous but this just comes across as creepy and stalkery.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

No, I might have said, Hi Rowan, nice to see you here.

But I greet as part of my jobs, so can't always say.  I usually don't say just Hi, in local unless they already know me.  I don't IM strangers unless they look like noobies and are lost, so must have been in public local.

I don't always catch or respond to greeters when I arrive somewhere.  I definitely don't if it's relayed or shouted from afar.  I will.always respond to an IM unless the.profile puts me.off for some reason.

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If one posts here on an alt that they just use to post here, that's fine, too.  It's the same reason people have business and personal avatars.  Not a problem.  

That would be me. My flickr, discord and this forum accounts are detached from my main account. I'm not a very social person, so for me it's just easier to separate the two. So I use my furniture/animations/builds/perms testing account to post in here from time to time when I'm working at PC and don't really have time for SL itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I don't really know you except by what you post here and I am sure you are just trying to be humorous but this just comes across as creepy and stalkery.

You don't like creepy?  Hmmm   I am trying to compete with Love for humor, and am failing miserably.  

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.