Notes on the WelcomeHub

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Wouldn't it be better if the sign distributed a notecard with a description of what a sandbox is and how you'd be expected to behave in one and what sort of things they can be useful for rather than 'if you screw up you're toast, now go elsewhere'.

If someone is genuinely new to SL they might not know they are doing wrong. I've been to the newbie sandbox a few times and its been littered with objects, a couple of days back someone no more than a few days old rezzed a whole load of flower pots and bento horses and just left them there. As helpful as a notecard would be I think they would've still rezzed all those objects 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

So I went and had a peek, and one thing that I find a little confusing is the sandbox rules.

What on earth does "Keep any scripts simple" mean, exactly? Dare I rez a vehicle that needs repainting? Judging by the sign, it kind of feels like 'this is a sandbox, don't use it as a sandbox, here are other sandboxes where you can go to. Also permaban threat!'.

.. And is the permaban for the sandbox, or SL 'cause it's an official LL place? If I were a newbie I wouldn't dare do anything in a sandbox with a sign like that.

Wouldn't it be better if the sign distributed a notecard with a description of what a sandbox is and how you'd be expected to behave in one and what sort of things they can be useful for rather than 'if you screw up you're toast, now go elsewhere'. 

One nice thing about the threat, is it serves as a reminder about your status in Second Life… your world your imagination blah blah blah, but we (LL) are the gods, annoy us and you are toast

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

As helpful as a notecard would be I think they would've still rezzed all those objects 

There's a 4-hour auto-return, though, so unless someone repeatedly goes there to fill it up with random stuff to use up the LI to grief, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

• Like 1

I suspect that most of the things that a true newbie is likely to rez are either objects from inventory (What is this thing and how does it work?) or very primitive attempts to figure out how to manipulate prims. They ought to be discouraged from leaving clutter behind, but not punished for it.  After all, that's why sandboxes have autoreturn.  The problems that people have most often in public sandboxes come from deliberate or accidental acts that interfere with other people or strain the limits of the region. That's why there are usually rules about not using weapons, building high-L.I. structures or running scripts that spawn a zillion new objects. People aren't usually permabanned for an honest mistake, but repeat offenders and egregious griefers can be. 

Those rules are in almost every public sandbox in SL, so I'm not surprised to see them in the Welcome Hub's sandbox too -- even if a true newbie isn't likely to do most of those things. Posting the rules is partly about introducing newbies to how sandboxes work and partly about reminding veteran residents of rules that they ought to be aware of anyway.

• Like 7

I've seen some pretty cool things in the sandbox, I'm not sure if this was created specifically in the welcome hub or pulled out of inventory.

Snapshot_904.thumb.png.3ee95d57012c89d512c365474b8a4fda.png

Regardless, I wish I was there when it was put together.  It is nice to see people using it to inspire noobles with creativity.  Hopefully a few will make their way over there, while people make use of the sandbox and we can see more participation with builders of SL.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Regardless, I wish I was there when it was put together.  It is nice to see people using it to inspire noobles with creativity.  Hopefully a few will make their way over there, while people make use of the sandbox and we can see more participation with builders of SL.

I mean the sandbox is on a beach, I find it outrageous that there aren't daily 'build a sand castle' competitions (with prims, obviously). Here's how you rez a prim, here's how you turn the texture to look like sand, build something as cool as you can without going over XYZ prims and win a little cup to put on your bedside table when you get your own SL home! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

And who can tell that the noob isn't an oldbie noob who wants a little cup?

Do we oldbie noobs not deserve little cups, too?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I like the idea, but who can tell that the noob isn't an oldbie noob who wants a little cup?
In SL things are usually gamed until goes no more.

Everyone send Sid a cup please.  Most of mine are chipped, so only send new ones, that are all prims.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Everyone send Sid a cup please.  Most of mine are chipped, so only send new ones, that are all prims.

27 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Do we oldbie noobs not deserve little cups, too?

Snapshot_925.thumb.png.990ab412fd6aa1d472307dc5f555cd9f.png

Contets may cause  abdominal pain, asthenia, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, and poop in the pants. Other side effects include: abnormality in thinking, alopecia, ataxia, nystagmus disorder, tremor, weight loss, fever, and skin rash.

I got this!  One expertly crafted, with a perfectionist's eye for detail, cheap-o cup of blood wine grape juice for everyone!  Don't mind the fly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Snapshot_925.thumb.png.990ab412fd6aa1d472307dc5f555cd9f.png

Contets may cause  abdominal pain, asthenia, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, and poop in the pants. Other side effects include: abnormality in thinking, alopecia, ataxia, nystagmus disorder, tremor, weight loss, fever, and skin rash.

I got this!  One expertly crafted, with a perfectionist's eye for detail, cheap-o cup of blood wine grape juice for everyone!  Don't mind the fly.

A fly? I enlarged the picture - still looks like a duck to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The newbies have their priorities, when adding items to their body.  I tripped over these boxes while at the LL Welcome Hub Sandbox.   All the boxes were empty btw, of course I checked.

Sandboxboxdebriscensored.thumb.jpg.9ee47e8ec2651ed054887a9b8ca6eea2.jpg

That will undoubtedly up the retention rate more then many other things.

• Haha 6

After exiting Helios, I decided to check in on the sandbox to see what others were doing and was pretty happy to see a couple of characters from "Regular Show" created by a a newish account, I'm not sure if it was just an alt but still, I thought it was pretty cool.  I see a few residents here creating things, it is great to see such participation.

Snapshot_954.thumb.png.e99c1495ab489ce1c3bcdbc025d0e449.png

Dutch angle, I think.  Ohhhhhh! 

Linden Lab in my opinion, has done an outstanding job with this and hopefully, we will continue to see active participation for a while to come.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I've seen some pretty cool things in the sandbox, I'm not sure if this was created specifically in the welcome hub or pulled out of inventory.

Snapshot_904.thumb.png.3ee95d57012c89d512c365474b8a4fda.png

Must be the gods of the sandbox 

Think it's a lovely area. But for the newer ones if they give notecard giver  like they did with landmarks and link to destations when they are done with their learning the whole place but give landmarks to come back. 

Edited by PearlettaStone
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.