Speed decorating a Linden home

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw this on Reddit.

Speed building in SL!

This suggests something for the welcome area. There's a large sandbox, and some model Linden homes to look at. But no indication of what to do with them.

How about putting a Linden home or two in the sandbox, and some furniture choices and other decorative items outside which anyone can move. Let people practice decorating a house. This is a sandbox, so after an hour or two, all the furniture is deleted. A fresh set then appears outside ready for the next user. This would provide new users a gentle introduction to interior decoration in Second Life.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

He must have put together sets of furniture and decor, copy them and rezzed it out again. But I like it. I saw a lot of furniture I have too. It is always an inspiration to see new ways of using it.

It is the smallest Linden Home, so it looks very well put together. It would be harder to decorate a big house on the limited prim budget.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are more videos of decorating Linden Homes. Including Victorian, Newbrooke and Stilts.

(And other houses, not only LL ones)

CHEZ MOI FURNITURES_SecondLife | Facebook

Of course it's mainly the one store's furniture in use, so mods can delete the post if you find it to be promotion. I do see many other stores products used in the videos too.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

He must have put together sets of furniture and decor, copy them and rezzed it out again.

Yeah I was thinking that too, and it made me wonder a bit what the purpose of the video was. It was too fast to be a house tour and too vague to be instructional, one might catch some ideas for it but it's only a 'speed decoration' as in there's been a lot of preparation (and fast-forwarding) to make it go fast. 

.. It'd be a bit like bringing home a table, taking it apart, putting it in a flat pack, and then doing an unpacking and assembly video. 

• Like 1

But after the "Practice", then what?

My first thought was, "Give people a bunch of furniture in their System Library to decorate with"..but that would compete with the Creators/Sellers and would probably look atrocious.

New users can also always get "freebies"..which would probably also look atrocious.

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

He must have put together sets of furniture and decor, copy them and rezzed it out again.

I agree... looks like a build was done, portions were picked up as composites, and then it was rerezzed for the video. Very little building here, just rezzing stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Yeah I was thinking that too, and it made me wonder a bit what the purpose of the video was. It was too fast to be a house tour and too vague to be instructional, one might catch some ideas for it but it's only a 'speed decoration' as in there's been a lot of preparation (and fast-forwarding) to make it go fast. 

I occasionally like watching Minecraft and Sims 3 & 4 speed builds, so I guess I kind of get what they're going for with this. Thing is, I tend to watch them to get ideas and pick up new techniques for actual building - laying down foundations, coming up with interesting floor plans and room layouts, window placement, figuring out how to make a dang basement (something I'm terrible at), etc. For so long, I had my character/Sims living in basic boxes and um, yeah, I needed to learn how to not build like that. 😄 Speed builds are kind of great for brainstorming new home designs.

For SL, though, speed builds don't seem quite as effective. It's limited to decorating, which is fine, but since we're locked down by prim limits and things, a step-by-step "how to reduce your Li by strategic linking" or "low prim living" where they show off well-decorated rooms on a prim budget approach might be more helpful.

I do like animats' idea of letting people play with decorating in sandboxes. I actually had to hire myself out as a decorator to get my fix. I've got about 515 Li to play with in my own home, but I could spend all that just doing a kitchen. I needed someone with more prims than they knew what to do with to let me loose in their sim. 😏

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 2

I think the idea of having demo furniture people can practice with is a good idea. I remember placing it out and rotating it was hard in the beginning.

I have never asked why some furniture seem to snap in place and hit 90°, 180, 270 and so at first try. While other go to 78°, then move it too much to 95, take it back to 76. Lots of small movements.

The first house I bought, I just rotated until I thought it looked good, and had to fine adjust everything. I made it really difficult for myself because I did not know better. But with the second one, I had a better knowledge. Linden Homes are easy to decorate because they are placed correct.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Yep, maybe he saw much traffic on Youtube, and was surprised?

He said in another video that he killed his old account & just recently started this one. My guess is that he's feeling a bit skittish to see a sudden increase in viewers. He might be worried about attracting trolls.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

He said in another video that he killed his old account & just recently started this one. My guess is that he's feeling a bit skittish to see a sudden increase in viewers. He might be worried about attracting trolls.

That's too bad; I have been running around all day but looked forward to seeing it when I got home so admit to being personally disappointed.  I do hope his new account/channel will do well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have never asked why some furniture seem to snap in place and hit 90°, 180, 270 and so at first try. While other go to 78°, then move it too much to 95, take it back to 76. Lots of small movements.

It depends on the angle the furniture was when it was taken up by the creator before boxing OR in the case of "buy a copy" furniture which I still use but most folks don't the angle the piece of furniture is on display.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.