The New WelcomeHub Areas

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/WelcomeHubLindenHomes/134/225/32

I visited the new WelcomeHub area to see what information they had about buying property in Mainland. There was a sign "Land and Linden Homes" with demos of Linden Homes (and perhaps spots for the new 2048's) but all I could find was Abnor Mole's Info Kiosk with links to articles about buying property.

The kiosk was set so that you wouldn't see it as you entered the area. Meanwhile, on another kiosk, a copy of the Bellisseria Covenant was displayed under glass as if it were the Magna Carta.

Draw your own conclusions.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 11.39.06 AM.jpg

• Haha 2

Tried Motown. Firestorm crashed three times. Mini-dumps submitted.

131 users there, only Premium can get in. 11 FPS on gamer PC.

Many nude avatars in a public Moderate area.  Some seem to have heads on backwards. Seems to be an attachment loading failure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, animats said:

Many nude avatars in a public Moderate area.  Some seem to have heads on backwards. Seems to be an attachment loading failure.

Based on your details, I assume the avatars probably aren't nude on purpose.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, animats said:

My Firestorm started doing this over the weekend, like it was taking an extra long time to load avatars and their clothing and attachments. The heads on backwards reminded me if when I put on an EVOX skin when my head is still set to EVO.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aime Ravenhurst said:

My Firestorm started doing this over the weekend, like it was taking an extra long time to load avatars and their clothing and attachments.

Jellies are your friend. I set my max avatar complexity at 20 k, so when they finish loading they go from a system avi (thank you bom *eye roll*) to a grey jelly.

I preferred the previous version of firestorm, where jellies would be any colour, and grey was reserved for blocked avis.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:46 PM, Rufferta said:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/WelcomeHubLindenHomes/134/225/32

I visited the new WelcomeHub area to see what information they had about buying property in Mainland. There was a sign "Land and Linden Homes" with demos of Linden Homes (and perhaps spots for the new 2048's) but all I could find was Abnor Mole's Info Kiosk with links to articles about buying property.

The kiosk was set so that you wouldn't see it as you entered the area. Meanwhile, on another kiosk, a copy of the Bellisseria Covenant was displayed under glass as if it were the Magna Carta.

Draw your own conclusions.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 11.39.06 AM.jpg

Going back to topic, maybe LL does not want newbies first experience with land to be Mainland? That would be what you call "Baptism by fire".

LL think it is better to steer the new folks into Bellisseria, where it is a covenant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Going back to topic, maybe LL does not want newbies first experience with land to be Mainland? That would be what you call "Baptism by fire".

LL think it is better to steer the new folks into Bellisseria, where it is a covenant.

I totally agree! (I just used your "baptism by fire" in an unrelated thread.)

If they buy their own mainland, new users must:

- Find the land, hopefully land they like, of the right rating, at a fair price, with decent neighbors

- Buy a house: learn to search, find the right SIZE house so they have LI left over, learn to rez the house..

- Rez the house

All that vs. "Choose a Linden Home".

I wish it were made clear to new users they can get a Linden Home, then always abandon it later to either get a different Linden Home, or go buy their own land.  It probably is obvious to "us oldbies".

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I totally agree! (I just used your "baptism by fire" in an unrelated thread.)

English isn't my first language, but I learn some idioms :D

I wish it were made clear to new users they can get a Linden Home, then always abandon it later to either get a different Linden Home, or go buy their own land.  It probably is obvious to "us oldbies".

I did not click on all the information boards, maybe it is info some place inworld. It is not listed on the webpage under buying land. https://secondlife.com/land/buying

Could it be added there, @Abnor Mole? "I have a Linden Home, but I want land instead. What do I do?"

And also, it says Premium is not required when you buy land. It could say "Plus or Premium may be required".

When you buy a parcel on a private estate, you do not technically own it. So those parcels can't be resold by you.

But I understand it is a lot of information to absorb and a information page can't be a novel. It will probably be updated and changes made as you revise it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Marianne Little said:

When you buy a parcel on a private estate, you do not technically own it. So those parcels can't be resold by you.

The estate I bought (rented) land from, in the covanent clearly stated the land can be subdivided and resold. But, you only bought it for $1 L, how much ya gonna sell it for? Plus your name is still on the tier box.

That's the nice thing about buying on an estate. No initial outlay, you can abandon it when you tire of it and buy another one, unlike mainland where you might have invested thousands to buy, and are unwilling to abandon without recouping at least some of that money you spent.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The estate I bought (rented) land from, in the covanent clearly stated the land can be subdivided and resold. But, you only bought it for $1 L, how much ya gonna sell it for? Plus your name is still on the tier box.

That's the nice thing about buying on an estate. No initial outlay, you can abandon it when you tire of it and buy another one, unlike mainland where you might have invested thousands to buy, and are unwilling to abandon without recouping at least some of that money you spent.

That's called subletting not selling.  Estates let you buy (rent) the land for $1 but you usually have to pay that first week of rent almost immediately.  

Renting on a private estate is just like renting in RL.  At the end of the rental period, even if you've spent thousands on rent, you own nothing.  The landlord could also toss you out without a refund or just up and disappear, leaving you homeless.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's called subletting not selling.  Estates let you buy (rent) the land for $1 but you usually have to pay that first week of rent almost immediately.  

Renting on a private estate is just like renting in RL.  At the end of the rental period, even if you've spent thousands on rent, you own nothing.  The landlord could also toss you out without a refund or just up and disappear, leaving you homeless.  

The  person you "sublet" it to shows as owner on the about land.

Besides, buying mainland, you don't pay your tier, you lose your land AND are locked out of your account, all that money you spent is gone.

No one really owns land in SL.

That's why people always seem confused about renting on Private estates.  The mechanism is the same for renting as it is for the purchase of mainland although they are different.  On private estates, it should really say Rent this land for $1 and not Buy.

My name was also on mail with the address of the place.I was renting in RL.  My name was on the utilities as well. I can play my own music and plant flowers.  Same as the about land tab on Private estates.  It's more a lease agreement than a deed.

That's my only point.  LL has it set up so it causes confusion for new people IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.