Advertising an Adult Venue on Moderate land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's not really a question of whether you can or cannot (nobody here can really answer it, only governance) but whether you should and the answer to that is No.

I totally agree. She should take personal responsibility and follow the spirit of the rules.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now you've got me! I'll forever wonder if you are roleplaying, joking, or serious.

Because, most obviously, your build didn't come with the flag, so all you would need to do is remove your flag prim or change the texture to match the building.

Thanks for being a good sport in your reply!

Obviously since SL isn't 50 years old, I'm role playing. I rp that I bought a 100 year old factory/warehouse complex  and converted it into a

home/club/hangout.

If I'm rping, I can't simply "remove" the prim, that's not possible, so I had it painted over.

I also had a really cool memorial, but I had to remove the plaque, so now all that's left is a blank granite obelisk

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or deceptive advertising?

The Federal Trade Commission Act defines an act or practice as deceptive "if there is a material misrepresentation or omission of information that is likely to mislead the consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances. A misrepresentation is material if it is likely to affect consumers' choices or conduct regarding an advertised product or the advertising for the product."

If I'm going to a game room advertised in a moderate region and find people engaged in adult activity, that's deception in advertising.  A bait and switch type tactic.

I make it quite clear that the place is located on Zindra, so one could reasonably expect there might be adult activities also.

Besides, if they have chosen to not see anything adult, I think their teleport to my club would be blocked anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I make it quite clear that the place is located on Zindra, so one could reasonably expect there might be adult activities also.

Besides, if they have chosen to not see anything adult, I think their teleport to my club would be blocked anyway.

New residents, who I'll guess are the only ones who bother with your ads, are probably unaware of what Zindra is all about.  Although some.folks may have all.of the maturity levels.checked (you need that just to go to some stores), it's kind of sleazy to not mention they might encounter adult situations.  

Why am I not more surprised by all.of this?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

New residents, who I'll guess are the only ones who bother with your ads, are probably unaware of what Zindra is all about.  Although some.folks may have all.of the maturity levels.checked (you need that just to go to some stores), it's kind of sleazy to not mention they might encounter adult situations.  

Why am I not more surprised by all.of this?

Well, if they are offended, they can leave. But I hope they at least help themselves to a coffee and a donut before they go.

😁

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Well, if they are offended, they can leave. But I hope they at least help themselves to a coffee and a donut before they go.

😁

Not the point but you know that.  You asked if it was ok to advertise an adult region if you didn't mention the adult activities in the ad.  I highly doubt LL would find it acceptable under the rules especially since you're blatantly deceiving people.

I had a business in RL.  Never had to advertise as the quality of my work was enough to get me more business than I could manage.  Food.for.thought.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Obviously since SL isn't 50 years old, I'm role playing. I rp that I bought a 100 year old factory/warehouse complex  and converted it into a

home/club/hangout.

If I'm rping, I can't simply "remove" the prim, that's not possible, so I had it painted over.

I also had a really cool memorial, but I had to remove the plaque, so now all that's left is a blank granite obelisk

Ahh, I see now. 

Well, if everything you do is "roleplay" - then who cares what you do? Nobody could POSSIBLY be "hurt" or "offended" by someone else's "roleplay"!

Not sure why you are asking questions like the one in the OP of this thread, since it is all just "roleplay".

Or, are you afraid the "roleplay" reason won't work when Linden Lab comes knocking because you broke a Term of Service?  If that's the case, why are you using the "roleplay" reason with us?

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ahh, I see now. 

Well, if everything you do is "roleplay" - then who cares what you do? Nobody could POSSIBLY be "hurt" or "offended" by someone else's "roleplay"!

Not sure why you are asking questions like the one in the OP of this thread, since it is all just "roleplay".

Or, are you afraid the "roleplay" reason won't work when Linden Lab comes knocking because you broke a Term of Service?  If that's the case, why are you using the "roleplay" reason with us?

Not sure why you are constantly dumping on me, unless its to get a rise out of me. Perhaps I should just block you.

😁

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Not sure why you are constantly dumping on me, unless its to get a rise out of me. Perhaps I should just block you.

😁

I am trying to actually understand you. 🙂 

Unless you're just trolling us to get a rise out of us, in which case I should just block you.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😁

Well if it is a coffee and doughnut shop for socializing and there is adult furniture in the back, I don't see the problem. Plenty enough places on the Mainland that have similar setups. The possibility of running into adult situations is always there, regardless of the maturity settings of the land and besides plenty of residents invite other residents over to their place with the hope that the proceedings will eventually move from the living room to the bedroom. Sounds like normal SL to me. 

On 6/9/2023 at 12:59 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Can I advertise a place on Zindra on moderate land if I only describe the non-adult activities that can take place there?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: Putting an advertisement on a Moderate region that links to an Adult region is "rickrolling" and violates the spirit of the maturity ratings.

However: Governance would likely ignore it as, in my experience, they appear uninterested in dealing with maturity violations on Moderate regions... unless they are REALLY bad.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well if it is a coffee and doughnut shop for socializing and there is adult furniture in the back, I don't see the problem. Plenty enough places on the Mainland that have similar setups. The possibility of running into adult situations is always there, regardless of the maturity settings of the land and besides plenty of residents invite other residents over to their place with the hope that the proceedings will eventually move from the living room to the bedroom. Sounds like normal SL to me. 

The point being that advertisement on the mainland must be General rated regardless of the maturity rating of the land it's placed on.  She's attempting a work.around by not mentioning the adult activity on her adult land.  It's, if nothing else, shady AF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😁

The part that you are not getting is that if someone has their settings set as "general, moderate" they shouldn't be running into anything adult or that implicates it. Saying "leave if you are offended" is not the point here at all.  

Even if you advertise say a dog or cat adult sim and put pictures of cute puppies/kittens on the sign, I would assume that the SLUR would be named an appropriate adult name or they won't be getting much business.  

There are some people that don't want anything to with adult activities and  LL protects that right by having rules as to what is allowed in each rating.  Trying to find a way around the rules and posting about it should be a TOS violation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

On 6/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Opinions please, I've already looked up the rules and it's not clear (to me anyway)

Can I advertise a place on Zindra on moderate land if I only describe the non-adult activities that can take place there?

Its Zindra, so obviously there are adult things too, but if I don't mention them , is advertising allowed?

Directing me to the appropriate rule would be helpful.

Thank you.

Oh by the way, why are XXX activities now allowed to be advertised on the coming events section of the SL webpage.

I've checked this with Governance and they tell me that, so long as it's not being advertised as an Adult event, it's OK.    So stick to describing the non-adult activities on offer and you should be OK, even though visitors may encounter Adult activities there, too. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Quartz Mole said:

I've checked this with Governance and they tell me that, so long as it's not being advertised as an Adult event, it's OK.    So stick to describing the non-adult activities on offer and you should be OK, even though visitors may encounter Adult activities there, too. 

Hope this helps.

I know you're just the messenger here, Quartz, so this is not directed at you . . .

. . . but this is disappointing. As Rowan, Sam, and others have suggested above, this smells of a bait-and-switch. People have the right to know that they are going to encounter Adult content before they TP in.

Indeed, that's the whole point of a rating system. If we're going to reduce this to "leave if you don't like it," we might as well not have one at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know you're just the messenger here, Quartz, so this is not directed at you . . .

. . . but this is disappointing. As Rowan, Sam, and others have suggested above, this smells of a bait-and-switch. People have the right to know that they are going to encounter Adult content before they TP in.

Indeed, that's the whole point of a rating system. If we're going to reduce this to "leave if you don't like it," we might as well not have one at all.

And as it's a place and not an event and it's an advertisement board.on mainland, I'm not sure how this follows the rules of ads being General on all mainland ad boards when it takes you to a purely Adult region of SL.

Guess we have to snag those noobs into paying for it somehow?  Those are the only.people I see falling for this scheme.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And as it's a place and not an event and it's an advertisement board.on mainland, I'm not sure how this follows the rules of ads being General on all mainland ad boards when it takes you to a purely Adult region of SL.

Guess we have to snag those noobs into paying for it somehow?  Those are the only.people I see falling for this scheme.  

There is no scheme, I invite people to come check out my place, that's all. Come, look around, then stay or leave, whatever.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I always thought of the rating system as a protection for those who are under 18 and at least 16 (or is it 15, I forget). 

Hm. I guess it is rather pointless after all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I always thought of the rating system as a protection for those who are under 18 and at least 16 (or is it 15, I forget). 

Hm. I guess it is rather pointless after all.

I would say it still applies to those who appear under 18 (teen, tween, child avatars) as I know of a couple recent bannings of those.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.