Pride in Second Life 2023

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I find it interesting that some on this forum have no problem belittling people's belief's of a God, higher power or whatever, yet demand acceptance of their sexual orientation, gender identify or LGBTQIA+ status with no questions asked. Just an observation. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I find it interesting that some on this forum have no problem belittling people's belief's of a God, higher power or whatever, yet demand acceptance of their sexual orientation, gender identify or LGBTQIA+ status with no questions asked. Just an observation. 

That is indeed an interesting observation. Note, that "modern" Gay Theology is that "God made us as we are". Sometimes it is easy to dismiss those who do NOT have this belief.

May I ask how your observation connects to Pride in Second Life?

People bring their "whole selves" to Second Life - just like for many churches / denominations, people are encouraged to bring their "whole selves" to church - where they are accepted no matter their sexuality, gender expression, or who they  love. THAT is the connection which I would draw.

• Like 6

On 6/9/2023 at 7:16 PM, Randall Ahren said:

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

True, note that I think it's supposed to be OK to have Pride that "God made me this way and Loves me unconditionally", vs. Pride in what you "have", how you "look", etc. 

Note that the Bible does not "categorize" 7 Deadly Sins"; the list is by Christian Tradition. Google is your friend on this one!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I didn't react to them because of all that stuff..

I just seen someone post a one liner, so I decided to deliver the punch line..  hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I didn't react to them because of all that stuff..

I just seen someone post a one liner, so I decided to deliver the punch line..  hehehe

Honestly, I think anyone who brings up God, Religion, or Sin in this thread is doing it to attempt a derail because they don't like the topic, are homophobic, trolling, etc. All I can do is try to be patient and hold back!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Honestly, I think anyone who brings up God, Religion, or Sin in this thread is doing it to attempt a derail because they don't like the topic, are homophobic, trolling, etc. All I can do is try to be patient and hold back!

I agree..

I never met a person yet that could throw the first stone..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

And they say second life isn't like real life. 😂

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I didn't see where someone belittled someone else's belief in God or a higher power. What I saw was stupid trolling equating Pride in oneself as a sin. The "7 deadly sins" are not in the Bible and don't really have anything to do with belief in God. This list, which has been changed several times, is just a social construct from Medieval Europe.

One's gender and sexual identity, on the otherhand is an individual core construct, much like race. One can't really debate whether one should be black or gay, for instance. One just is. One can debate what is or is not a sin. You're thus compairing apples to oranges, so to speak.

If someone on this forum did belittle someone else's belief in God, then that was rude and wrong, but I didn't see that myself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

That ain't me, I have no problem with anyone's faith. It's actions I have a beef with, such as faith going out and wiping out entire cultures, burning people at the stake for their faith, or any number of other horrors (all of which have been in the mainstream news in recent years).

Also, when it comes to the beliefs that are used to bludgeon LGBTQ+ people for simply existing -as the current dominant religion is so often used to do, then don't be surprised when the people being beaten (often with more than just a bible) by folks who love themselves some Jesus vocalize resentments.

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I don't recall Jesus saying anything in the Bible against gay people. I do know he spoke against money-changers in the temple (people making a profit while using religion as a shield) and against hypocrits wanting to stone people for their sins. He also said that people should be more concerned with what comes out of their mouths (their words) than with what goes into them (non kosher foods).

He never said anything against people having a good time at a party or a parade either.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't recall Jesus saying anything in the Bible against gay people. I do know he spoke against money-changers in the temple (people making a profit while using religion as a shield) and against hypocrits wanting to stone people for their sins. He also said that people should be more concerned with what comes out of their mouths (their words) than with what goes into them (non kosher foods).

He never said anything against people having a good time at a party or a parade either.

Yeah, let me go out on a limb and say that my post should in NO WAY be construed as a condemnation of Jesus. Jesus is awesome -he died for our sins, after all. Good luck getting most people to even cover a the cost of parking for you, much less give their lives.

The people who claim to love him, yet do horrors in his name -they're "problematic" but Jesus himself? He's aces in my book!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Han Held said:

The people who claim to love him, yet do horrors in his name -they're "problematic" but Jesus himself? He's aces in my book!

correction: those people put their own dark and extreme interpretations in cut out lines of his words, and abuse it as confirmation for their dark thoughts. 
Also be carefull to put dogmatic points in your vision :) that He died for our sins is debatable, the first Christians didn't have that dogma, and it's nowadays also a bit on a return to see his life as mian guideline.

He also didn't say he wanted to be president of the lbgt (xyz) community. We simply don't know what he would think about it. Both camps should stop debating that point. When he comes back we have all the time to ask ....

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Saw this joke this week 😁

Some aliens landed on Earth and ended up in an audience with the Pope to discuss their respective religious beliefs.

To their mutual astonishment they were both familiar with Jesus.

"Oh yes," said the aliens. "He's a really great guy, and he swings by us quite regularly. We see him most years ..."

"Really?" said the Pope in astonishment. "He has only visited us once, and that was 2,000 years ago!"

"Weird!" replied the aliens. "We always have a massive party when he visits us - food, music, dancing ... it goes on for days and is the highlight of our year - he's such a cool guy! What did you do when he visited you?" 

@Alwin Alcott, I think we might be waiting a long while. ^ See quote above.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Also be carefull to put dogmatic points in your vision :) that He died for our sins is debatable, the first Christians didn't have that dogma,

I'd ask for a citation on that -particularly since I'd love to see where you get that information from, but I'm afraid it's off topic.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

When he comes back we have all the time to ask ....

You wat now? LOL if you're a bible literalist the bible itself says he died for our sins. If you're not -then what would make you say 'when he comes back'?

IOW: pull the other one, it's got bells on!

Edited by Han Held

2 hours ago, Han Held said:

That ain't me, I have no problem with anyone's faith. It's actions I have a beef with, such as faith going out and wiping out entire cultures, burning people at the stake for their faith, or any number of other horrors (all of which have been in the mainstream news in recent years).

Also, when it comes to the beliefs that are used to bludgeon LGBTQ+ people for simply existing -as the current dominant religion is so often used to do, then don't be surprised when the people being beaten (often with more than just a bible) by folks who love themselves some Jesus vocalize resentments.

People are always looking for an excuse for what they did, whether religion, anti depressants, drugs or alcohol, the devil or anything else they can cook up that has a semblance of plausibility but at the end of the day, it is people who harm other people. Agreeing with a perpetrator(s) to blame any of those excuses is simply justifying their actions with a layer of legitimacy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

People are always looking for an excuse for what they did, whether religion, anti depressants, drugs or alcohol, the devil or anything else they can cook up that has a semblance of plausibility but at the end of the day, it is people who harm other people. Agreeing with a perpetrator(s) to blame any of those excuses is simply justifying their actions with a layer of legitimacy.

It is not just 'people' who harm people but entire movements and institutions are set up with the intent to inflict harm on others.

We can never truly know anyone else's motives but if someone says outright "I am destroying your religion to make you follow my own" (conquistadors to those they conquered) then that is close enough.

But I feel that you missed my original point? If someone is constantly assaulted (physically, or verbally) in the name of a specific religion and told they're going to hell ...of course the person being told they're going to hell (or being beat up) is going to hold resentment over that. As well they should.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Han Held said:

It occurs to me that we're veering far, far off track and I'm partly to blame.

This thread is to celebrate Pride In Second Life ...not to rehash the culture wars of the twenties....

I let someone in this thread get to me earlier today, posted about it in the Peeve thread, and am now helpless. If only they'd just go back to posting about Religion - I could report the posts as off-topic! But instead, they "bait" because..fishy. ETA: Not you, the people baiting you!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

What, they're baitin me? Like I'm a trout or somethin...? Is that it? Maybe it's just me I'm just a fish outta water here but like... baitin how? I'm gutted here...are they going to filet me, throw me in a pan and cook me up and serve me with some butter and chips? Is that what I am to them?

😃😘🏳️‍⚧️⚧️Happy Pride everyone -tip your waitstaff and leave the fish alone!⚧🏳️‍⚧️😘😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.