Pride in Second Life 2023

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy PRIDE Month from the DSF Community!
Celebrate YOU and the spirit of acceptance, inclusion, diversity, and love. ♥
Our theme this month is "Be EXTRA Fabulous"... because aren't we all just fabulous everyday?
Cheers!
Tanarra

extrapride.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Purely from a color design point of view I don't really like the whole rainbow and colors in products for Pride Month. It's too much of a happy and carnival style of coloring. What about sophistication and coolness? Muted colors? Maybe after a few more years we'll see the palette mature into a darker and wearable style. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bree Giffen said:

Purely from a color design point of view I don't really like the whole rainbow and colors in products for Pride Month. It's too much of a happy and carnival style of coloring. What about sophistication and coolness? Muted colors? Maybe after a few more years we'll see the palette mature into a darker and wearable style. 

Fun Fact: The original Pride Rainbow had 2 additional colors:

https://dmh.lacounty.gov/blog/2022/06/a-brief-history-of-our-lgbtqia2-s-pride-flag/#:~:text=Each of the original eight,serenity%3B and Violet%3A spirit.

Quote (apologies to my fellow Dark Theme users for the formatting):

Baker and Segerblom’s flag debuted at the Gay Freedom Day Parade in SF in 1978. Each of the original eight colors had their own unique symbolism. Hot pink: sex; Red: life; Orange: healing; Yellow: sunlight; Green: nature; Turquoise: magic and art; Indigo: serenity; and Violet: spirit. The original flag’s hot pink and turquoise stripes were soon removed because of difficulty manufacturing and/or dying the fabric, resulting in the six-color rainbow flag we are familiar with today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Maybe after a few more years we'll see the palette mature into a darker and wearable style. 

The "different" Pride flags have different colors, to distinguish from one another. So, changing colors isn't really an option because of the different meanings.

I am most familiar with the "standard" Gay Pride flag, the Trans Pride flag, and the Black/POC Pride flag (not shown below). These are from the same site as my previous post's quote:

Pride-Flags.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I believe the rainbow is symbolic of God's covenant to all living beings on the Earth rather than chosen for it's colors.

***********************  (copy/paste below) 

What does God say about the rainbow?

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind." 

(The rainbow became God's covenant with all living beings on the Earth, after the great flood.)

Just me talking about the rainbow and it's colors.  One could always carry a flag and still wear muted colors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

You will pry the bright and cheery rainbow goodness out of my cold, dead haaannnnds.

No but really - I love the cheerful colors. All of the Pride flags are awesome. And there are like...eleventy-billion of them (many not pictured above), so I can't see them changing as they all stand for something different.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I believe the rainbow is symbolic of God's covenant to all living beings on the Earth rather than chosen for it's colors.

***********************  (copy/paste below) 

What does God say about the rainbow?

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind." 

(The rainbow became God's covenant with all living beings on the Earth, after the great flood.)

Just me talking about the rainbow and it's colors.  One could always carry a flag and still wear muted colors. 

You gave me a confused emoji, Love...

So, let me try again.

The rainbow is a universal symbol of peace.  It was given to us after the great flood.  Now, do I really believe in that great flood or think it a parable of some kind?  It doesn't matter here.  Though still, the rainbow is a universal symbol of peace which has meaning.  Take the rainbow symbol and it's colors away, it just wouldn't feel right to me.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's a universal symbol of HOPE.  Taking a meaning from the bible disregards 2/3 of the world's population.  Just sayin'.

I think most of us have heard about "the great flood" even if of different religions or no religion but I think that's where it's symbolism originated from but I did not want to have a religious discussion.  I am irreligious.  

I was just reading about the rainbow and it stated it's become a universal symbol of peace because we all live under the rainbow.  But, you are right in that it is also hope in that we are equal under the symbol.  It is also a symbol of unity and equality in many countries because it's thought is it was given to all of us.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Love's link explains why the colors were chosen. It's loosely inspired by the rainbow, but each color represents something specific to the original flag designer.

It's loosely inspired by the rainbow but I couldn't see it being changed.  It's interesting too how the rainbow has different colors yet it is one rainbow.  We always have included the actual rainbow symbol for Pride marches.  I don't think it's just the colors.  It has a lot of heart to it.  

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Minimalist aesthetics can't die soon enough to suit me.

• Like 4

I have a confession and an observation. 

My confession: as a US-based cis independent voter, as of a few years ago I had grown weary of gay activism.  I still was cheered by pride month and celebrations, but I felt that the most important battles had been won, and maybe more activists should get married and raise families or do whatever they wanted to do in life, and quit rabblerousing about gay issues.

My observation: now that oppressors of all ilks are crawling out of the woodwork and, for the sake of headlines, taking aim at whatever nearest disempowered group they can find, backlash has set in for me.  When I didn't see Pride postings from LL on June 1st, I was worried that LL had decided to step away from LGBTQ advocacy.  I was relieved to see LL's posts appear, and I've returned to the ranks of those adamantly advocating for gay rights, for womens' rights, for human rights in daily life.  

I am SO tired of ignorant idiots reaching for power by climbing on the backs of citizens who are just trying to live their lives.

Beware, powermad billionaire wannabes!  You've gone too far, and the norms may be coming for you.  Right-wing groups attempting to take over school boards went down in flames in my state's recent election. The RL people I know have lost patience and have nothing but snarls for you.

Yay Pride!  Yay for all humans just trying to live without persecution!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 12

5 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I have a confession and an observation. 

My confession: as a US-based cis independent voter, as of a few years ago I had grown weary of gay activism.  I still was cheered by pride month and celebrations, but I felt that the most important battles had been won, and maybe more activists should get married and raise families or do whatever they wanted to do in life, and quit rabblerousing about gay issues.

My observation: now that oppressors of all ilks are crawling out of the woodwork and, for the sake of headlines, taking aim at whatever nearest disempowered group they can find, backlash has set in for me.  When I didn't see Pride postings from LL on June 1st, I was worried that LL had decided to step away from LGBTQ advocacy.  I was relieved to see LL's posts appear, and I've returned to the ranks of those adamantly advocating for gay rights, for womens' rights, for human rights in daily life.  

I am SO tired of ignorant idiots reaching for power by climbing on the backs of citizens who are just trying to live their lives.

Beware, powermad billionaire wannabes!  You've gone too far, and the norms may be coming for you.  Right-wing groups attempting to take over school boards went down in flames in my state's recent election. The RL people I know have lost patience and have nothing but snarls for you.

Yay Pride!  Yay for all humans just trying to live without persecution!

Pride is often misunderstood. 

The first Pride was really a protest demanding Rights - the founding of the Gay Liberation Movement.  Police would raid gay bars, targeting Queer and Trans folk / drag queens.

The most famous person from the original Pride is a queer black Trans woman.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha_P._Johnson

We've come a long way, even though our Rights to Exist are more threatened lately.   So, there are lots of reminders on Social media this year of "WHY" Pride is important.

Not to be Political - but that's how Pride started.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The "different" Pride flags have different colors, to distinguish from one another. So, changing colors isn't really an option because of the different meanings.

I am most familiar with the "standard" Gay Pride flag, the Trans Pride flag, and the Black/POC Pride flag (not shown below). These are from the same site as my previous post's quote:

Pride-Flags.jpg

Not gonna lie, that's incredibly confusing and seems like it just dilutes things.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Not gonna lie, that's incredibly confusing and seems like it just dilutes things.

It's not too confusing. If you identify with any of those groups, those are the flags you typically roll with. Some do both (bisexual flag + rainbow flag or one of its inclusive variants).

I didn't even know I had a flag (I'm terrible at these things 😄), so I typically run with the "umbrella rainbow," as I call it, and the trans pride flags to show support in SL. So now, I guess I could have three!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's not too confusing. If you identify with any of those groups, those are the flags you typically roll with. Some do both (bisexual flag + rainbow flag or one of its inclusive variants).

I didn't even know I had a flag (I'm terrible at these things 😄), so I typically run with the "umbrella rainbow," as I call it, and the trans pride flags to show support in SL. So now, I guess I could have three!

There's a relatively new "diversity" Pride flag. It includes Trans and "People of Color" Pride flag elements.

https://www.them.us/story/pride-flag-redesign

D7912790-AC77-4923-9288-E7666EA8DD90.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a new "diversity" Pride flag. 

https://www.them.us/story/pride-flag-redesign

D7912790-AC77-4923-9288-E7666EA8DD90.jpeg

That looks slightly similar to the Philly version, with some addin' and shufflin'.

I haven't seen that one in use (yet). There's a newer version of it now, too, according to Le Google, that's intersex-inclusive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I meant for supporters/observers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I meant for supporters/observers.

That depends. Let's say there is a Pride Parade.

Perhaps (just perhaps) a Trans group may march and be carrying their own flag. Just a "for example".

Bears groups definitely (often) have their own "floats" in pride parades (Bears? Walk?!? J/K!) and are highly likely to have their own flag.

This is hard to explain, but the "individual" flag is not necessarily for people who are "looking at it", it is for the people who "need it". 

Just like, nobody really "needs to know" what the colors in the "standard" Pride flag mean.

Short version: You're in a Pride celebration, and see different versions of the Pride flag colors.  Don't worry about it.  If curious, ask. Otherwise, just ignore it. 

Colored flag in Pride celebration = "some kind of Pride flag".

Yeah, it may be confusing to "some older groups" who are used to one flag, but they will adjust or be replaced over time with a newer (younger generation group) that is used to it.

Confusion solved!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.