Will there ever be a way to donate cool no transfer items from our inventories?

Amalia Cazalet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is probably a really stupid question, but I've gotta ask...I have 20+ cars, 20+ boats, 50+ houses (16 alone with the word "villa" in the name!), several airplanes/helicopters, trees (19 different bougainvilleas, 14 unique olive trees!) and all sorts of other no transfer items that are cool but I never plan to use. I wish there was a way to delete all but one copy and donate that to an SL charity of some kind. Is there even a remote possibility that could EVER happen before I just start deleting stuff? .

image.png

14 answers to this question

You can have people add you to their group, and set land to group, so you can rez your items there.

It is a cumbersome process, and you have to give them permission to edit your stuff, so they can move it. Or else you would have to move it for them, every time.

Personally, I would not give people such permission over my things, for that will be all my things. On my own land too.

Just delete it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Amalia Cazalet said:

This is probably a really stupid question, but I've gotta ask...I have 20+ cars, 20+ boats, 50+ houses (16 alone with the word "villa" in the name!), several airplanes/helicopters, trees (19 different bougainvilleas, 14 unique olive trees!) and all sorts of other no transfer items that are cool but I never plan to use. I wish there was a way to delete all but one copy and donate that to an SL charity of some kind. Is there even a remote possibility that could EVER happen before I just start deleting stuff? .

image.png

as you see most of those items are copy .. so imagine you are a creator, and somebody has your items, and starts spreading those as transfer while they keep a copy ... that again can get transfered... that's not making happy faces.

• Like 2

If the owner of the object was able to change the permission to (no copy) (transfer) only, then the creator should not care. Just because the LL permission system does not allow the owner this option, does not mean it cannot be changed.  This would mean all copies rezzed or in inventory but one would need to be deleted. Too much trouble to figure out how to do this, but it is possible with some objects like breedables.  If you have a copy of a no copy breedable it will be detected and disabled. But that needs an external server to monitor the object inworld.

That villa in your list that is (no copy) (no modify) (no transfer) is something I would never buy, or want. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

That villa in your list that is (no copy) (no modify) (no transfer) is something I would never buy, or want. 

The list appears to be from Inventory, though, so it's impossible to tell what anything actually means here. It may be the "villa" itself (the assembly of mesh, prims, sculpts, and puppy dog tails) is full perm, but it has one side painted with a no-transfer texture, contains an old no-copy animation* and a no-mod script. Inventory permissions are the rolled-up most restrictive perms of the object and its entire contents.

It certainly does mean, however, that the object is going to need some surgery to ever be considered for transfer—or much of anything else.

But folks browsing through inventory, finding such an apparently useless object, might want to check a little further before flushing it down the Trash forever. It's probably not a Starax wand, but it may not be complete garbage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

If you are never going to use it then you might a well delete it.

Second that emotion.

Twenty years ago, Rosedale et al amended the TOS to give creators intellectual property rights for assets uploaded to Second Life. Residents acquiring/purchasing those assets are licensed to use those assets within Second Life according to the permissions they are granted. Additionally, randos standing around gazing at stuff also are licensed to do that.

But... being humans on the planet earth... everything is temporary (cliche but true). In the future, Second Life as we know it will cease. There is an expectation that creators have their digital assets archived (I do). One would expect the digital assets of residents to poof, as they cannot be salvaged due to creators owning the rights (assuming the relevant laws are still in effect).

By deleting your "no transfers", you are simply fast-forwarding the inevitable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

as you see most of those items are copy .. so imagine you are a creator, and somebody has your items, and starts spreading those as transfer while they keep a copy ... that again can get transfered... that's not making happy faces.

Ohhhh, I know that. That's why it would be nice if there was a way to verify all copies were deleted before considering it, but I guess that's not gonna be happening.  :/

11 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

If the owner of the object was able to change the permission to (no copy) (transfer) only, then the creator should not care. Just because the LL permission system does not allow the owner this option, does not mean it cannot be changed.  This would mean all copies rezzed or in inventory but one would need to be deleted. Too much trouble to figure out how to do this, but it is possible with some objects like breedables.  If you have a copy of a no copy breedable it will be detected and disabled. But that needs an external server to monitor the object inworld.

I probably bought that villa in 2010...what was I thinking?!  I don't think I ever used it.  :/

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The list appears to be from Inventory, though, so it's impossible to tell what anything actually means here. It may be the "villa" itself (the assembly of mesh, prims, sculpts, and puppy dog tails) is full perm, but it has one side painted with a no-transfer texture, contains an old no-copy animation* and a no-mod script. Inventory permissions are the rolled-up most restrictive perms of the object and its entire contents.

It certainly does mean, however, that the object is going to need some surgery to ever be considered for transfer—or much of anything else.

But folks browsing through inventory, finding such an apparently useless object, might want to check a little further before flushing it down the Trash forever. It's probably not a Starax wand, but it may not be complete garbage.

Now I've gotta go look up what a Starax wand is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amalia Cazalet said:

Ohhhh, I know that. That's why it would be nice if there was a way to verify all copies were deleted before considering it, but I guess that's not gonna be happening.  :/

thats why there are no copy/yes transfer items. .. it;s upon the buyer to decide if that is the produce he wants. If it doesn't meet the intended use, don't buy it. And if you do .. well sorry, it's yours and yours only :) 

• Like 1

As an artist (SL and RL) I set all my one-sale-only pieces in world to be no copy, no mod, but transferable. Just like the real world. You can give a piece you bought away, sell it to someone else for 10x what you paid me for it, etc. I like the idea that almost any item in SL should be transferable, again, just being able to give something you own/bought in RL to someone else.

I don't understand why more creators don't allow items to be transferred, but I guess so many items (like a lamp or chair) the creator wants to make copyable, I can see the no transfer thing.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

As an artist (SL and RL) I set all my one-sale-only pieces in world to be no copy, no mod, but transferable. Just like the real world. You can give a piece you bought away, sell it to someone else for 10x what you paid me for it, etc. I like the idea that almost any item in SL should be transferable, again, just being able to give something you own/bought in RL to someone else.

I don't understand why more creators don't allow items to be transferred, but I guess so many items (like a lamp or chair) the creator wants to make copyable, I can see the no transfer thing.

Practically speaking, I probably wouldn't like living in a world where anything I own could just *poof* out of existence, like a failed rez in SL or a sock in the drier in RL.

And while it could be possible for LL to create a guaranteed "giveaway of no-transfer items" as some kind of option, we know that historically any game that allows this kind of trading has bugs that allow users duplicate those items by exploiting the system. 🙂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

The simple answer is NO, never.

Your choices for inventory cleanup are limited. Things can be deleted. Things can be stuffed in boxes - rez a cube and store the stuff in the Contents. And one can organize their inventory.

Things I know I'll never use I delete. It is the questionable "I-might-use-it" stuff that is a problem. I tend to organize many things by Type/category; helicopter, plane, boat, car, clothes as dresses, pants, silks, etc. Then either by year purchased or how well I like it. I rate LMs 1 to 10 with 1 being best. Using 01 to 10 as the first two characters of the LM name or a folder name they automatically sort.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 8:57 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

The simple answer is NO, never.

Your choices for inventory cleanup are limited. Things can be deleted. Things can be stuffed in boxes - rez a cube and store the stuff in the Contents. And one can organize their inventory.

Things I know I'll never use I delete. It is the questionable "I-might-use-it" stuff that is a problem. I tend to organize many things by Type/category; helicopter, plane, boat, car, clothes as dresses, pants, silks, etc. Then either by year purchased or how well I like it. I rate LMs 1 to 10 with 1 being best. Using 01 to 10 as the first two characters of the LM name or a folder name they automatically sort.

Thank you, great suggestions, ALL.  :)))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.