New Feature: Scripted Agent Estate Access Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

What we need is more bots, bots that will scan for unregistered bots and AR them.  They will roam the grid, in pursuit of the renegade bots.  I just hope that the renegade bots do not create more bots to AR the AR bots, for misusing the AR feature.. because then we will need more bots to AR the bots reporting the AR bots.  

I fear we have already reached this cascade condition you just described.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think the mapping of parcels with ban lines is already done, and was even discussed in this thread. And, unless I was mistaken a long time ago, LL used to run bots to collect data in sims. I'm remembering one that looked like a box.

You might be thinking of Shergood aviation's mapping of security orbs and parcel settings? They collates data from individuals, or last time I looked it did. It is a good idea but not really useful without more data. If they switched to using bots it could make the end result much more useful.

Come to think of it there is a "weather report" that gets updated at least daily that reports on the health of mainland regions to inform travellers what to expect with regards to region crossings. I presume scripted bots collect that data, but not 100% sure.I  suppose with this policy, Bellisseria will lose out on weather report coverage.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Isn't it silver for bots?

Or is that werewolves?

So many genres... so many stereotypes... so much confusion!

Would depend on how fancy they are. Titanium for the upper class bots, steel for middle, aluminum for lower-all with orbs of lithium for added fun? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You might be thinking of Shergood aviation's mapping of security orbs and parcel settings? They collates data from individuals, or last time I looked it did. It is a good idea but not really useful without more data. If they switched to using bots it could make the end result much more useful.

That's what I may be thinking. I didn't follow that part of the thread. I just glanced at it on the way through :)

But I do have hud that displays ban lines when you enter a sim. It was/is a commercial product and the seller, who was a forum user following the discussion, gave one to me years ago when we some of us were trying to outdo each other in a rally - see who could get the furthest. I haven't used it since then but I don't think it showed ban lines before crossing into a sim, although i could be mistaken about that.

Incidentally, the mapping of security orbs isn't possible. Not only can they not be detected reliably, but there's no way for a script to discover how any have been set. For instance, I sell one that is capable of allowing people to stand on a bed, but not lay on it. The fact that the device exists isn't an indication of how it is set. So it's only ban lines that can be discerned.

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think the mapping of parcels with ban lines is already done, and was even discussed in this thread. And, unless I was mistaken a long time ago, LL used to run bots to collect data in sims. I'm remembering one that looked like a box.

Not to (intentionally anyway) contradict you but I doubt LL have ever needed to run bots to gather data, they have accounts called testers.

The box avi is in the library folders for anyone to use.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's what I may be thinking. I didn't follow that part of the thread. I just glanced at it on the way through :)

But I do have hud that displays ban lines when you enter a sim. It was/is a commercial product and the seller, who was a forum user following the discussion, gave one to me years ago when we some of us were trying to outdo each other in a rally - see who could get the furthest. I haven't used it since then but I don't think it showed ban lines before crossing into a sim, although i could be mistaken about that.

Incidentally, the mapping of security orbs isn't possible. Not only can they not be detected reliably, but there's no way for a script to discover how any have been set. For instance, I sell one that is capable of allowing people to stand on a bed, but not lay on it. The fact that the device exists isn't an indication of how it is set. So it's only ban lines that can be discerned.

You could program a bot to go visit each parcel and report back which ones and at what height it gets ejected and the manner of the ejection?

Edited by Aethelwine

11 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

What if these bots set this up so we will have to buy some kind of security orb.

Then they failed in my case. What bot invasions indeed made me do was to drop existing 'security orbs' because they just hadn't got the capacity to handle that many names. While there seem to be one or two offers on MP claiming to be specifically targeted to roaming bots, I'm not one to trust in someone elses closed source and closed data solution which might easily go the way of any other voodoo magic.

I don't actively offer my own solution beyond close friends because it only is open source, but I don't feel comfortable to provide my list of bot names. Trust goes both ways, so (generic) YOU don''t have any reason to trust me and my judgement. If you do, you can have that thing for free. But I'd rather have LL fill the gaps they left with the current implementation only available to estate owners and managers, leaving parcel owners and mainlanders alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, maybe we need garlic necklaces to protect us from bot scanning since we can't deny bots access on our region parcels? Mainland bots are the new Bloodlines! 

I was using Bloodlines and the creation of the free garlic necklace as an example.  And, I didn't mean every resident needs one at all times.  People need to use common sense when I said "need" because there have been those to whom it was a need - it was too much for certain residents while others were/are or never were bothered by Bloodlines at all.  

But, selling security orbs to get rid of bots on parcels appears a bit of a scam and opens doors for other like-minded scams.  

Bloodlines, however, has kept their garlic necklace FREE.  My saying that in no way means others can just choose to ignore those in Bloodlines, or deal with it however they choose.  However, if bots are in your parcel, it's a nuisance and one should NOT have to pay to gid rid of the nuisance and disturbance of the peace.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You could program a bot to go visit each parcel and report back which ones and at what height it gets ejected and the manner of the ejection?

You could, but you better not register it and you better not associate yourself with it. Otherwise you'll be burned at the stake.

I guess that's what others here meant when stating the current implementation of bot control encourages non-compliance while punishing honest bot owners.

11 minutes ago, CarlaWetter said:

But I'd rather have LL fill the gaps they left with the current implementation only available to estate owners and managers, leaving parcel owners and mainlanders alone.

Absolutely.  The question is:  Can they?

9 minutes ago, M Peccable said:

I guess that's what others here meant when stating the current implementation of bot control encourages non-compliance while punishing honest bot owners.

It appears that way now.  But, there may still be a way for parcel owners to have control both ways.  Allow_bot and deny_bot.  

In the meantime, you can contact your estate owner to whitelist your scripted agent but that's an *if* they agree to your particular scripted agent or not.  

No doubt that they can. It's about if they are willing to put the work in.

Take the subscription level flag for example. I don't think that a lot of users have been waiting desparately on a way to detect per script if someone else was basic or had one of now three different subscriptionl levels. I sure didn't. However, I suspect the work to make a flag "scripted agent" available is about the same.

Including a deny_scripted_agents flag on parcel level may be a different way but again I suspect with the introduction of the same on estate level a lot of the required basic work already is done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But, selling security orbs to get rid of bots on parcels appears a bit of a scam and opens doors for other like-minded scams. 

There are already security orbs that only allow people you place on the access list.   I own one.  No one gets in unless I specifically ALLOW them.   However, if my neighbor allows everyone, scripted agents, bots (unregistered agents), then that agent can still scan me in my home.

There is no scam.  There is no reason for one.  You have absolutely no control over what happens on another parcel in your region of the region itself allows bots (scripted agents) and even less control if the bots aren't registered as such.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There is no scam.  There is no reason for one.  You have absolutely no control over what happens on another parcel in your region of the region itself allows bots (scripted agents) and even less control if the bots aren't registered as such.

While I disagree that someone could use creating a nuisance and then having to buy protection from said nuisance wouldn't be a scam.  Unsuspecting and naïve people could fall for it.

The thing with unregistered bots though, is they'd have to "out" themselves that they are unregistered if they published the data and want anyone to read or use said data, such as buying the most popular new items.  Plus, sending IM's to sell stuff is spam and against the TOS, so I can't see unregistered bots contacting people about "their data" wherein said unregistered bots want to sell residents 'something'.  They'd have to out themselves they are unregistered and the scraping data seems a complete waste of their time.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.