New Feature: Scripted Agent Estate Access Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We absolutely should be reporting "unattended" crowds of avatars that are being used to boost traffic.

They're breaking policy, 100%, and they're the very bots that should be suffering consequences, instead of people that are going into the account settings and taking time to follow the policy.

Perhaps if a few regions ban their own "traffic bots" with the setting, they might see how it's not necessarily a good, catch all solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You are going force LL to raise fees again.  They need more employees in Governance to cover your AR's.

It shouldn't if the Lab actually follows through with enforcement rather then just a little handwaving at the new policies. A few public floggings and the improper scripted agent population should drop to manageable levels very quickly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It shouldn't if the Lab actually follows through with enforcement rather then just a little handwaving at the new policies. A few public floggings and the improper scripted agent population should drop to manageable levels very quickly.

If there is hand-waving, it could be a ninjutsu formula(In Japanese culture.  Or, a mudra in Hindu culture.)

ETA: Or, Lindens "waving bye-bye" to bots before they go "poof".

Edited by Love Zhaoying

I've been meaning to bring this up awhile, but it is hard to articulate.

I once new an avatar who 100% of the time roleplayed as a "bot". In his case, if you pressed a big button, you took control over them in some way I forget. Basically they could not move, and you had to know some secret to get them to do anything but converse after that.

Anyway - my relevant question is:

If someone Roleplayed as a "Bot", and took it so far as to check "I am a Scripted Agent" in the settings, then - even if they were NOT really a "Scripted Agent", they would be subject to the same rules and restrictions as if they WERE a scripted agent.  

Right?

Relevant to the discussions, for instance: they could not enter Estates with the "deny access to Scripted Agents" status set.  And, if someone were to BELIEVE they were actually a Scripted Agent, then reporting them as such would be meaningless because they would already have that "setting", etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I once new an avatar who 100% of the time roleplayed as a "bot". In his case, if you pressed a big button, you took control over them in some way I forget. Basically they could not move, and you had to know some secret to get them to do anything but converse after that.

If someone Roleplayed as a "Bot", and took it so far as to check "I am a Scripted Agent" in the settings, then - even if they were NOT really a "Scripted Agent", they would be subject to the same rules and restrictions as if they WERE a scripted agent.  

Right?

Like the Community Dolls that have a wind up key that allows them to animate until it winds down at which point they fall to the ground and can no longer move until someone else rewinds them. There are a few other groups with the same basic concept. Thing is they still need a human to enable some basic functions and aren't much fun without some intelligence behind them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Right?

Relevant to the discussions, for instance: they could not enter Estates with the "deny access to Scripted Agents" status set.  And, if someone were to BELIEVE they were actually a Scripted Agent, then reporting them as such would be meaningless because they would already have that "setting", etc. etc. etc.

Anyone can set their avatar as a scripted agent.  I could do so and be banned from any estate using the new deny access feature.   

As I see it, it's not the people already assigning their avatars as scripted agents but the ones ( that pile of avatars on a platform) who DO NOT register them and use them for skirting the policy.  The platform avatars are easy enough to distinguish.  It will always be the bad actors who park an avatar (unregistered scripted agent) at busy places and continue to scrap data.   IMO, there will never be much anyone can do about that aside from possibly LL, who can determine if they are collecting data.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

You should try SLex. It's a lot more fun than filing ARs.

No thanks, I prefer the real act.

With my RL partner.

Far more enjoyable.

Edited by belindacarson
unnecessarily harsh comment on RL sex in today's frozen water world.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And additionally, and not unimportantly . . . we all have a "First Life" tab. Now, clearly it would be stupid to put your real name, address, or credit card information there -- but what does it exist for if not to share aspects of our RL?

I'm just gonna hit on this one part real quick and what this could be for, besides actually putting RL information in there..

When I first seen that tab when I first came to SL, it indicated that there was a place for that information.. That the rest of my profile was for second life information I wished to share.. It set in my head that there is this world and there is that world.

I think for the most part people know why they are joining second life..I think most understand that putting something there that is real is exposing a piece of their RL.. I don't think most look at it with a sense of ocd and feel they need to put RL information there..

I see it on there as a reminder as well as a divider, that this world goes here and that world goes there.. Without it as a divider/reminder, you may get more new people seeing it as thinking their profile is a profile like anywhere else for everything about them to go just anywhere on it..

I always seen that first life tab as an indicator that I'm in second life, not outside of it. That I'm in another world and not that one..

Maybe this is only going to make sense to me, I'm still on my first cup .. hehehe

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Laws consider your login name, your avatar UUID, and sometimes your display name to be sensitive information, because they pertain to a single person.

I'm curious in which country because I would like to read the section of the  law.. It's something I like to keep myself up to date with to help be more inforemed as well as informative.

The reason I ask is because, sensitive personal information is usually things like what I put here below and mainly about information of the human person sitting in the chair and not about identifying the character on the platform.

Where I keep seeing something like user names as just personal information and not sensitive personal information, unless they actually connect you to a human..

This is from the European Union website, which seems similar to the U.S. version of sensitive personal information.

The following personal data is considered ‘sensitive’ and is subject to specific processing conditions:

• personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs;
  • trade-union membership;
  • genetic data, biometric data processed solely to identify a human being;
  • health-related data;
  • data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I always seen that first life tab as an indicator that I'm in second life, not outside of it. That I'm in another world and not that one..

Well, the 2nd Life portion of the profile could say..."Write Here About Your Second Life".

The one area where I see a possibility of a problem with having a 1st (Real Life) tab is especially for those where English is not their first language and they are just learning English but, more importantly than that, there could eventually be some people from other countries where they aren't familiar with net-etiquette yet or they have been raised with such extreme politeness in manners that they will fill out the 1st Life tab with an innocence.  

However, I am not going to advocate for the 1st Life tab to be taken away.  I just had some concerns from this recent data harvesting for others.  

As far as me, I'm not big on profiles anything nor anywhere.  I hardly ever fill them out at all nor read them much at all either.  Once I become friends or associates with someone, I will read their profile to see if there are some things I'd like to know about them but their profile doesn't matter much to me.    

Anyhow, I just wanted to clear that up but we were told a few posts back we were off topic.  And, if want to talk about other things, make a new thread.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Anyone can set their avatar as a scripted agent.  I could do so and be banned from any estate using the new deny access feature.   

As I see it, it's not the people already assigning their avatars as scripted agents but the ones ( that pile of avatars on a platform) who DO NOT register them and use them for skirting the policy.  The platform avatars are easy enough to distinguish.  It will always be the bad actors who park an avatar (unregistered scripted agent) at busy places and continue to scrap data.   IMO, there will never be much anyone can do about that aside from possibly LL, who can determine if they are collecting data.

LL could make enforcement a bit easier if they required registered bots to identify as such on their profiles. That would facilitate ARs against those who are not registered, and prevent ARs against bots that are.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Well, the 2nd Life portion of the profile could say..."Write Here About Your Second Life".

The one area where I see a possibility of a problem with having a 1st (Real Life) tab is especially for those where English is not there first language and they are just learning English but, more importantly than that, there could eventually be some people from other countries where they aren't familiar with net-etiquette yet or they have been raised with such extreme politeness in manners that they will fill out the 1st Life tab with an innocence.  

However, I am not going to advocate for the 1st Life tab to be taken away.  I just had some concerns from this recent data harvesting for others.  

As far as me, I'm not big on profiles anything nor anywhere.  I hardly ever fill them out at all nor read them much at all either.  Once I become friends or associates with someone, I will read their profile to see if there are some things I'd like to know about them but their profile doesn't matter much to me.    

The Second life profile indicates that though.. The tab on the about page is called 2nd Life. The Picks page has a description at the top that say's, Tell everyone about your favorite places in Second life.

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Perhaps if a few regions ban their own "traffic bots" with the setting, they might see how it's not necessarily a good, catch all solution.

I think that is one of the dilemmas here.   Why would estates ban their own scripted agents they might be using as traffic bots or even not using as traffic bots?  

Another dilemma is not allowing parcel living residents some tool to deny_bots in their own home in case the main owner does not want to use deny_bots.

This whole thing has left me drained though.  I just want some common sense solutions for all and for the peace of SL to be restored.  I think TOS could use an update so info is all in one place not all over the place.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I think that is one of the dilemmas here.   Why would estates ban their own scripted agents they might be using as traffic bots or even not using as traffic bots?  

Another dilemma is not allowing parcel living residents some tool to deny_bots in their own home in case the main owner does not want to use deny_bots.

This whole thing has left me drained though.  I just want some common sense solutions for all and for the peace of SL to be restored.  I think TOS could use an update so info is all in one place not all over the place.  

a region owner can use "deny-bots" but whitelist their own bots at the estate level.

so, it's win-win for the estate owner(s) and the tenants.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

and the tenants.

Couldn't the tenants then ask the estate owners to WHITELIST their scripted agent, and the problem of parcel owners not being able to have their scripted agent in their home solved?  

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Couldn't the tenants then ask the estate owners to WHITELIST their scripted agent, and the problem of parcel owners not being able to have their scripted agent in their home solved?  

In some cases that'll definitely work.

Probably not all estate owners will be on board, and we know LL isn't going to whitelist for Bellisseria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I see it is finally over 24 hours without a post in this thread.  Maybe the discussion is dead finally, if not the thread.

Forums are invented to discuss Love.
The old Romans already did that in their forum 2000 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:
35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I see it is finally over 24 hours without a post in this thread.  Maybe the discussion is dead finally, if not the thread.

Forums are invented to discuss Love.
The old Romans already did that in their forum 2000 years ago.

Yep.  And a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.

But this thread was just soooo very contentious, I am surprised it both a) lasted without being yeeted, and b) lasted long enough to get quiet before being yeeted.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe it is only halftime. 😁
Tea anyone?

I almost forgot about this place.. let me get my cup. I have insta hot water if you could not tell. tea is in my blood stream. Let me take a look. 

Edit: Well good Sir, looks fine to me above my pay grade to absorb any of it. 

Edited by benchthis

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yep.  And a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.

But this thread was just soooo very contentious, I am surprised it both a) lasted without being yeeted, and b) lasted long enough to get quiet before being yeeted.

You're welcome.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.