The Saturday Sale Announces Price Increase--Thoughts?

Lysistrata Szapira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think it will stop me from buying an item if the price goes up 25 linden... with some caveats. The product has to be great when I demo it ..  in my color(s), unique cute looking mesh, great fit (no skin bouncing through). Then It will go on my possible buy list to sort through on Sunday.   The now and then impulse buys just have to be cut.

I have decided to try to stick to spending 300 a week .. my stipend.  Actually, I'd like to bring that down to 200 or 250 so I can have a buffer of growth.  It's not that I can't afford to buy more but I'm naturally frugal and this linden buying price change was my tipping point. It took all the fun out of impulse buys for me.  So my weekend sale hobby is going to be cut to deciding and window shopping and maybe even skipping some weeks. Yikes!  Actually this thread has reminded me to transfer what linden I have to an alt .. minus the 300. It's time to start the frugal adventure.. lol.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Makes sense for the seller! Get you to come back, may buy more, increase traffic, help the event, etc.

How? 

I took one look at the prices being all over the map and bounced. 99L for this, 65L for that, 85L for that, toss this piece over here for 60L - all part of the same set tho - just split across numerous sales? This isn't really new. It's just wayyyy more noticeable now.

Not that I'm complaining. This is actually going to save me a LOT of money in the long run. I can drop my per-item spend to 65L and avoid most of it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

How? 

I took one look at the prices being all over the map and bounced. 99L for this, 65L for that, 85L for that, toss this piece over here for 60L - all part of the same set tho - just split across numerous sales? This isn't really new. It's just wayyyy more noticeable now.

Not that I'm complaining. This is actually going to save me a LOT of money in the long run. I can drop my per-item spend to 65L and avoid most of it.

Remember all the stuff you would get in a lux box?  The breaking apart of sets of things is something that's been becoming more and more popular.

It's getting less and less of being able to buy an outfit that isn't broken down to even the panties not included..

I think a lot of impulse shopping is what really drives these kinds of things.. I just look back at how different things have evolved from before even having the MP until now..

I think for me it's time to get back to the roots and just start hunting in world and the MP.. because all these events and sales just feel like top 40's music when I'm looking for the good underground stuff.. hehehehe

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Remember all the stuff you would get in a lux box?  The breaking apart of sets of things is something that's been becoming more and more popular.

It's getting less and less of being able to buy an outfit that isn't broken down to even the panties not included..

I think a lot of impulse shopping is what really drives these kinds of things.. I just look back at how different things have evolved from before even having the MP until now..

I think for me it's time to get back to the roots and just start hunting in world and the MP.. because all these events and sales just feel like top 40's music when I'm looking for the good underground stuff.. hehehehe

Yup. You and me both. I mean, it's been a thing for a very long time. You'd TP to a store to check out an adorable decor set and find out it's been split into a dozen pieces. Usually within the same sale, though. Not sure which method is worse, LOL. It's just jarring to see with new prices attached, maybe, which is why I ran out and said yeahhhhh that's enough weekend over-spending for meeee.

There are so many unique things I want to purchase that are more expensive (and worth every penny - the products are very high quality - fantasy mods and avatar bits and pieces, costumes, heads, a body, really pretty landscaping, etc.) - I think I'd rather just save up Lindens for those.

There are still some amazing creators that participate in the more off-the-beaten-path weekend sales, too, of course. Mostly in the decor and fantasy market. I'll keep an eye on those sales for sure, but by lowering my spending threshold, I can cut SS out of my browsing rotation entirely.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yup. You and me both. I mean, it's been a thing for a very long time. You'd TP to a store to check out an adorable decor set and find out it's been split into a dozen pieces. Usually within the same sale, though. Not sure which method is worse, LOL. It's just jarring to see with new prices attached, maybe, which is why I ran out and said yeahhhhh that's enough weekend over-spending for meeee.

There are so many unique things I want to purchase that are more expensive (and worth every penny - the products are very high quality - fantasy mods and avatar bits and pieces, costumes, heads, a body, really pretty landscaping, etc.) - I think I'd rather just save up Lindens for those.

There are still some amazing creators that participate in the more off-the-beaten-path weekend sales, too, of course. Mostly in the decor and fantasy market. I'll keep an eye on those sales for sure, but by lowering my spending threshold, I can cut SS out of my browsing rotation entirely.

I put the brakes on my spending back in October for the first time since I've been in SL.. A lot of that has to do with the feel I'm getting from a lot of the fly by night way things are getting done more and more..

I started seeing things that would show up at events, but then you couldn't find a creators store on the MP or in world..

I was like, omg  these guys are just setting up in events and then leaving and coming back in the next event, if they come back at all.. Flickr groups getting cluttered up with their one time exclusive stuff that you can't get anymore, no chance of getting a redeliver and no real way of getting support.. The only store they had was the booth..

It felt more like  outsiders coming in to grab the money and run.. So I put the brakes on.. Ever since then , I been extra particular in how things are laid out and  broken down.. If it just feels like a money grab in the slightest now, I don't even give them the time of day..  I check every place ever since then to make sure they have either an in world store or an MP.. If they don't have either of those, then I don't care if they have the best stuff in the world..I'm not supporting them.

I much rather give to creators of the world making things for the world, not the hit-N-runners here to get a taste and leave the world dry.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I put the brakes on my spending back in October for the first time since I've been in SL.. A lot of that has to do with the feel I'm getting from a lot of the fly by night way things are getting done more and more..

I started seeing things that would show up at events, but then you couldn't find a creators store on the MP or in world..

I was like, omg  these guys are just setting up in events and then leaving and coming back in the next event, if they come back at all.. Flickr groups getting cluttered up with their one time exclusive stuff that you can't get anymore, no chance of getting a redeliver and no real way of getting support.. The only store they had was the booth..

It felt more like  outsiders coming in to grab the money and run.. So I put the brakes on.. Ever since then , I been extra particular in how things are laid out and  broken down.. If it just feels like a money grab in the slightest now, I don't even give them the time of day..  I check every place ever since then to make sure they have either an in world store or an MP.. If they don't have either of those, then I don't care if they have the best stuff in the world..I'm not supporting them.

I much rather give to creators of the world making things for the world, not the hit-N-runners here to get a taste and leave the world dry.

Despite how much I shop, I'm actually a very picky shopper. I don't mess with full-priced events ever since I bought a super duper exclusive outfit at one years ago and found it in a weekend sale for a fraction of the price a few weeks later. Never again!

Overall, the majority of creators I buy from have been in SL a loooooooong time. Unless I'm grabbing some full-perm or gacha items off the MP to play with, I do all of my shopping in-world, so I always know there's a store presence and an established brand. Due to that, I haven't really come across any of those sellers who do event drops and run. A lot of creators I buy my more spendy products from have a whole support pipeline built up, either in-world or via Discord or social media somewhere, so yeah, that's just never been a concern.

That's honestly why I like the weekend sales so much. They get me into stores rather than trying to yeet myself into a crowded event sim.

• Like 3

Since SS has started allowing a max price point of L$100 I've TP'd to a couple of places and they've already upped their prices above L$75 up to L$100. I don't know how much impact it's going to have on the whole but it's already put me off buying stuff that I might have bought at L$75

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

...it's already put me off buying stuff that I might have bought at L$75

I agree.  This also happened for me when Collabor88 went from things being 88L to just ending in 88.  I would buy two or three 88L items from a store, but now I bawk at paying 288L for one shirt/dress.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 3

We have kept our houses to 75L.

Any new houses always go into the sale first too versus full price first.

Honestly with how the world is right now,  I would rather just let things go for the equivalent of 35 cents a house versus trying to argue increased prices when everybody is dealing with increased cost/ in RL.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

On 3/16/2023 at 12:36 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard that yet.

Funny enough, that's one of my least-shopped weekend sales. Overall, I suppose the change won't really affect me much. Now if FLF, Wanderlust, Roleplay Addicts, or Happy Weekend changed, that'd hurt. I buy most of my stuff in those.

I wonder how many people know about that and will be surprised by it in a few days. I didn't see a notice posted on Seraphim's site.

To me, The Saturday Sale had always a lesser offering in quality and range vs. 60L$ Happy Weekend. If they would raise the price to 100 Linden, they will have a hard time to compete with Happy Weekend, even with the 99 Linden Sales.

• Like 3

Came to a store through their L$60 Happy Weekend listing to check an item I was curious about. Saw they had one from TSS that looked even more interesting. Ended up not buying the L$60 thing because I'd rather want the L$100 thing, which I didn't buy either because it didn't feel like spending L$100 on it. Ohwell. 

• Like 3

I must say I saved A LOT of money this weekend thanks to the Sat Sale increasing prices.  Usually I think nothing of buying several items for me, and even for my alts!  

Example : One store I shop at usually has two items on sale for 75L.  I will buy both, and then will buy at least one (sometimes both) for both my alts - overall buying four items, sometimes six.  This week, they have increased to 100L per sales item...so I just bought both for myself...my alts can moan in my head!  

Other stores that increased prices, just bought one item.  Stores still at 75L, bought several items...yes looking at you certain skin store that got purchases for the alts too!!

Until I find a rich man who is inclined to support my shopping habit, I shall moan about 25L!!!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I must say I saved A LOT of money this weekend thanks to the Sat Sale increasing prices. 

I managed to make it through Sat Sale without spending a single L$ while there wasn't much that took my fancy what I would've bought at L$75 I walked away from at L$100 

• Like 2

Welp, my favorite clothing designer did the 25L bump. I bought one item because color HUD.  I purchased in one color originally back when he was only selling single colors.  I skipped the second item because I have to draw the line somewhere. I already had it in a single color.  I may go back and get it when I get my Tuesday stipend.  I also picked up a necklace that had a price bump to 85L, but it's a nice necklace with a jewel HUD.

Then I hied myself off to Happy Weekend and didn't buy anything.  HW may find itself a LOT more popular now.    

My rule of thumb has been that I only allow myself to buy linden dollars once a month and only a set amount.  Then I live off my stipend when that runs out.  I'm seriously considering dropping the linden dollar purchases, even at once a month, because girl has got bills to pay in the real world.    Where I used to fatpack some things, I have to think really long and hard about it now.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

Reminds me of my time as a street performer. Living in the same city year-round, struggling through the off-season, and finally a big weekend hits with lots of people in town and all of the locals' performance spots have been gobbled up by people from out of town who then camp the pitches (ignoring pitch rotation rules respected by all actual professional buskers) throughout the event, and vanish on Monday. Just show up, crash the festival, push the locals out of their spots, take the money, and leave. Then they can tell all their friends back home they're a "traveling performer". *barfs*

Just, like, my opinion, dude, and all, but I really don't think anyone who doesn't at least have some little shop inworld or a MP page should be accepted as vendors for an event. You can make some really nice-seeming stuff (at least in the picture) that's absolute garbage, and take a bunch of people's money, and then log out your alt and look for the next event to exploit, and if enough people realize you're a flake and a con, just rebrand for the next time.

I guess maybe just buy from vendors you already know and trust. Or just avoid sales events entirely. An old gambler's adage might hold true for this situation: "If you look around the room, and you can't spot the sucker, it's you."

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Welp, my favorite clothing designer did the 25L bump. I bought one item because color HUD.

-------------------------------------------------

I think I know who you mean. ;) And I bought a pack too, the skirts in "neutrals". I will not buy any more of the other packs, I barely use one color in any of the other packs. 100L is too much for something I may possibly use in the future. Before, I could have picked up a pack of "blue".

It is a furniture designer in both FLF and HW. I will continue to buy from that store in FLF sale, if it's something I want. The price is still low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Reminds me of my time as a street performer. Living in the same city year-round, struggling through the off-season, and finally a big weekend hits with lots of people in town and all of the locals' performance spots have been gobbled up by people from out of town who then camp the pitches (ignoring pitch rotation rules respected by all actual professional buskers) throughout the event, and vanish on Monday. Just show up, crash the festival, push the locals out of their spots, take the money, and leave. Then they can tell all their friends back home they're a "traveling performer". *barfs*

Just, like, my opinion, dude, and all, but I really don't think anyone who doesn't at least have some little shop inworld or a MP page should be accepted as vendors for an event. You can make some really nice-seeming stuff (at least in the picture) that's absolute garbage, and take a bunch of people's money, and then log out your alt and look for the next event to exploit, and if enough people realize you're a flake and a con, just rebrand for the next time.

I guess maybe just buy from vendors you already know and trust. Or just avoid sales events entirely. An old gambler's adage might hold true for this situation: "If you look around the room, and you can't spot the sucker, it's you."

It's really more about the world getting more watered down if things head that direction than it already has been..

I never really bought from those fly by night places, even on an impulse buy..I just noticed them showing up more and more is all..Because I have always been interested in finding new stores.. If something interested me I always wanted to see if this was their best  items..

When I started to see more and more that some didn't have locations, plus asking the prices that they were, my red flags went up..

So,Just like I stick to, no demo no buy. I stick to, no location no buy.

At least the sales get people moving around the world to the different stores..

I just hope the fly by night booth doesn't become a big thing is all..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

If you are hopping around during the sales, it's hard to keep your wallet closed when Pumec has a "clearing" out sale due to making a new mainstore. Loads of skins are at 60 Lindens.

I missed this! Thanks for mentioning it. Funny enough, I tp'd to Pumec right around when the sales started this weekend, but didn't look too hard I suppose. Just cammed in on the group gift board to see if there was anything new. Oops!

I noticed Pumec is working with the Velour body now, which means this might be my last chance to get some of their all-in-ones. I like their body skins. Shame they're not making them anymore (so it seems, anyway!).

Also, in case anyone doesn't know, there are still very low-priced Pumec skin gachas on the MP, if you need anything that's not Evo X.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.