Stilettos in the sand

BillFletcher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner and I came across a girl standing AFK on the beach. My partner suggested we take some pictures standing next to her creating the illusion that we hang out with people other than each other. The AFK girl was wearing stilettos standing in the sand and my partner pointed this out. This is something she would never do because it is unrealistic. We talked a bit about girls in SL in stilettos on the beach, and questioned whether this might be something that guys with female avatars are more likely to do. So I wondered what all you forumites thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In sl I can click a button and fly, something I'd never do in rl, because it's not realistic. 

I wouldn't assume that heels on a beach is something only guys in female bodies would do, that's a bad assumption to make. We do a lot of things in sl that aren't realistic. Does your partner actually look like their avatar does in real life? Probably not, because most of us don't, even if we have some similarities. I look a lot like mine in real life, but it's not exact and there are more differences. My skin isn't  as flawless, the polish on my nails isn't always pristine, my makeup isn't always perfect or even there at all, just lots of small differences but big enough to make them not a perfect match.

I don't think there is a such thing as something males or females are more likely to do in sl. I haven't been here a super long time yet, but I figured that much out. 

• Like 12

I could pick apart a heck of a lot more than heels standing on sand to determine if an avatar was a guy or a girl.. I just don't waste my time caring one way or another about what someone chose for their avatar..

Who am I to judge them?

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I could pick apart a heck of a lot more than heels standing on sand to determine if an avatar was a guy or a girl.. I just don't waste my time caring one way or another about what someone chose for their avatar..

Who am I to judge them?

Oh neither of us really care either. It was more of curiosity as to the motivations behind why someone chooses to do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wear very high heels on the beach. I also wear boots with massive elevated platforms on the beach (Demonia style - RL brand). I wear leather and latex on the beach. I'll sometimes wear mermaid scales and fishing net & shell swimwear on beaches that only allow human avatars (and full mermaid avatars when taking photos on beaches that don't care). I...have been a frog rocking a wide-brimmed hat carrying a purse on the beach (in heels, too!). I've been a man working some fierce leggings and stiletto boots on the beach.

I also teleport and regularly land on peoples' heads at landing points. Oh, and I live in a swank modern skybox in the sky with like 200 prims reserved just for food decor - imagine the ants!

I'm a RL woman.

In SL, realism is not in my vocabulary. 😄

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 8

It’s more of a bugaboo than a peeve or a trigger. If we were being realistic a lot more women would be wearing t-shirts over their bikinis and there would be a lot less dental floss bikinis. It’s a slippery slope.

It’s just what I call a “SL-ism”, a thing people do in SL, but not in real life.

Now a pair of leggings with one leg?!? Grrrrrr!!!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Oh neither of us really care either. It was more of curiosity as to the motivations behind why someone chooses to do this.

I think there can be a lot of reasons really.. One, just being glad they finally have some sort of avatar put together, or just doesn't get as immersed or doesn't know that it matters at all and as long as they aren't sinking, Awesome.. hehehe..

I know I just got back from a beach..But when I first got there didn't realize I left my pumps on and didn't even really realize until I was already sitting down.. It doesn't take much to distract me when I'm changing.. Something as simple as an IM and i could end up forgetting to forget to put my top on and teleport..

I've shopped before and  had things exposed and not know it until I got back.. then was like omg was that off the whole time? o.o

Hey if you were at pretty beach earlier this morning  it might have been me you seen walking by..lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It’s more of a bugaboo than a peeve or a trigger. If we were being realistic a lot more women would be wearing t-shirts over their bikinis and there would be a lot less dental floss bikinis. It’s a slippery slope.

It’s just what I call a “SL-ism”, a thing people do in SL, but not in real life.

Now a pair of leggings with one leg?!? Grrrrrr!!!

I tried doing that at a beach one time with a sheer half cut T and kini top and open front jean shorts and kini bottom, because I run around  in something like that a lot in the summer when it's really hot..

I got told I needed to wear beachwear..  I didn't want to argue with them that it was, so I just did what they asked.. I don't think a lot really do get around the water as much as their avatars.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think there can be a lot of reasons really.. One, just being glad they finally have some sort of avatar put together, or just doesn't get as immersed or doesn't know that it matters at all and as long as they aren't sinking, Awesome.. hehehe..

I know I just got back from a beach..But when I first got there didn't realize I left my pumps on and didn't even really realize until I was already sitting down.. It doesn't take much to distract me when I'm changing.. Something as simple as an IM and i could end up forgetting to forget to put my top on and teleport..

I've shopped before and  had things exposed and not know it until I got back.. then was like omg was that off the whole time? o.o

Hey if you were at pretty beach earlier this morning  it might have been me you seen walking by..lol

If people are like me, they hop around to various places during the day and might not feel like changing clothes which I do understand.  It just seems odd to be in clubwear if there isn't a club at the beach.  Swimsuits, shorts, tanks, etc at the beach.  Clubwear everywhere else

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If people are like me, they hop around to various places during the day and might not feel like changing clothes which I do understand.  It just seems odd to be in clubwear if there isn't a club at the beach.  Swimsuits, shorts, tanks, etc at the beach.  Clubwear everywhere else

I have most things set up in outfit folders and  those work for the most part all the time.. But if I get to chatting in an IM it's easy for me to forget my heels are on when i am looking for something specific like a bikini top and then  the bottoms..

Also I don't think a lot of new people really are aware that fashion is as big of a deal as it is in many places, even at the beach.. hehehe

They've never had inventory space anywhere else like we have here.. hehehe

• Like 4

For a person (me) who frequently turns their avatar into a demon, a fairy or a mermaid, I do prefer at least a reasonable amount of realism. For example, I like to have a proper kitchen and bathroom in my house, even though I never actually use them as anything but a photo backdrop. 

That said, I am guilty of wearing heels on the beach sometimes. I'm equally guilty of going shopping with no shoes on at all, but thankfully I've yet to run into a store with a "No shoes, no service" sign on the door. My excuse for both is that my feet are not in my camera view, so I often forget what's on (or not on) them.

And since heels cannot sink into SL sand, does it matter? If I'm doing a fashion shoot, maybe. If I'm there only to dance, I don't care.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've had this in my Silly Things pick forever.

21) Take your damn heels off when you're on the beach you ***** moron and why in the hell are you carrying a purse?

The OP title reminds me of one of those "Footprints in the Sand" memes, modified: 

"Mistress, why is it that when Second Life is at it's most difficult, I do not see your stiletto prints next to me in the sand?"

"You do not see my stiletto prints during difficult times, because I am digging my heels into your back." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The OP title reminds me of one of those "Footprints in the Sand" memes, modified: 

"Mistress, why is it that when Second Life is at it's most difficult, I do not see your stiletto prints next to me in the sand?"

"You do not see my stiletto prints during difficult times, because I am digging my heels into your back." 

OMG! LOL I can barely see to type.  That was  a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I once took a pic of myself wearing a black BOM bra under a white floral dress.

Crazy stuff just happens here sometimes. 

To me that adds a little realism. Things you do in real life, because….that was the last clean one!

Exactly, I was thinking how the black one won't show sweat..and would be a nice contrast under white!

3 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

My partner and I came across a girl standing AFK on the beach. My partner suggested we take some pictures standing next to her creating the illusion that we hang out with people other than each other. The AFK girl was wearing stilettos standing in the sand and my partner pointed this out. This is something she would never do because it is unrealistic. We talked a bit about girls in SL in stilettos on the beach, and questioned whether this might be something that guys with female avatars are more likely to do. So I wondered what all you forumites thought. 

Models are photographed on beaches wearing high heels a lot.  Heels give the wearer added height and make the legs look longer, giving a more slimming look.  

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.