Decorating Contest, SL Living Expo!

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The RFL folks are holding a decorating context at their new "Mega Event", the SL Living Expo, March 3rd - 12th.  Space is limited, so sign up now if you're interested!  Each contestant gets a 12x12 "room" to decorate, using 500LI.  You can retexture walls etc. as you like, and it can be any sort of room, but they DON'T say whether or not it can be a garden.  Personally, I would find doing a garden "room" very tempting - except that it takes me forever to decorate anything.

https://sl-living-expo.org/decorating/

Yah, yah, I know, this has nothing to do with Linden Homes.  Except ... that creative decorators are the most active folks on this forum!

@Marianne Little , @Matthieu Quander , @Nando Yip, @Teresa Firelight, @Frigga Freidman ... oh heck, there's too many of you to mention.  Spread the word!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Enola Dethly said:

Thank you for putting this here ❤️...I can not believe I just signed up 😅 Sounds like a lot of fun and something I would love to be part of. 

The contests are an amazing opportunity - you feel like a million dollars just to be picked and then you freak out wondering what on earth to do but eventually you hit a stride.  I've done a few of them, (H&G Expo and Christmas etc), never won, but that hasn't mattered you feel like a winner if they accept you as a contestant -  good luck!

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

The RFL folks are holding a decorating context at their new "Mega Event", the SL Living Expo, March 3rd - 12th.  Space is limited, so sign up now if you're interested!  Each contestant gets a 12x12 "room" to decorate, using 500LI.  You can retexture walls etc. as you like, and it can be any sort of room, but they DON'T say whether or not it can be a garden.  Personally, I would find doing a garden "room" very tempting - except that it takes me forever to decorate anything.

https://sl-living-expo.org/decorating/

Yah, yah, I know, this has nothing to do with Linden Homes.  Except ... that creative decorators are the most active folks on this forum!

The contest rules talk about designers. I think they are looking for mesh furniture creators and not people like me who just buy nice furniture and place ti together in a pleasing manner.

Are you sure this is open to people who do not actually make the furniture and decorations themselves?

Edited by Teresa Firelight
somehow I put my new text inside of what N ika said, so trying to fix that.. not sure how I managed that but hopefully fixed now

4 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Are you sure this is open to people who do not actually make the furniture and decorations themselves?

They talk about decorators, whatever that means for them. Creators are not mentioned at all. 
Im pretty sure, anyone can apply.

Apart from that its hard to imagine that any mesh creator will spend a big amount of hours for building a lot of new objects and decoration just to win that contest.

• Like 1

I want to apply, but my health is not top. If it is a good day, I can log in to SL and stay several hours.

I was recently registered as disabled, meaning that Social security find that it is unlikely that I can hold a job. I never know what is going to be a good day. 

I am sure the list of people that apply will be long, and it is unlikely that I will be selected. If I am one of the lucky ones, maybe I can pull out some days ahead, and SL Living Expo call another on the list and say: "You still want to participate? We have a room for you."

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

OK!  I got in touch with one of the organizers, who very kindly answered a few questions.

1. The contest is open for anyone to enter.
  2. They are looking for interior designs, not gardens.
  3. The room you'll be decorating is 12x12x5m (actually, a little over 5m high).  So, Marianne, you could create the room now, and just move it over when the time comes :) [Note that one of the graphics on the website says the room will be 8x8, they intend to correct that].
  4. The application asks for you to show them a sample of your work, e.g. flickr or blog posts.  She also mentioned that you could give them a SLURL to visit!  (Personally, I would not rely on just a SLURL, in case they don't have time).  I showed her an example of an old photoshoot I put in the "Bellisserians Show off your Home" thread and asked if something like that would be OK, and she said "yes, definitely!".  
  5. You can use not only purchased product, but your own creations if you like.  
  6. The winner will receive not only public recognition and bragging rights, but is invited to decorate for one of the events up for auction!

One of the auction items at the event that someone can win is "Dinner with Patch and the Lindens". Our winner from our decorating contest will be able to design the room/dining table for that.

How fun is this?

Oh, and speaking of fun, I mentioned to her that a decorating contest at the Fantasy Faire would be a LOT of fun.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yah, yah, I know, this has nothing to do with Linden Homes.

Exactly. This is a PROMOTION to encourage RFL donations and to advertise interior decorators. Note that RFL Kiosks are not even allowed in Bellisseria. So should RFL promotions be allowed here?

One of the auction items at the event that someone can win is "Dinner with Patch and the Lindens". Our winner from our decorating contest will be able to design the room/dining table for that.

The Lindens need to STOP playing favorites with respect to charities. If Brad and Randy want to donate to ACS, they should just write them a check,

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Exactly. This is a PROMOTION to encourage RFL donations and to advertise interior decorators. Note that RFL Kiosks are not even allowed in Bellisseria. So should RFL promotions be allowed here?

The Lindens need to STOP playing favorites with respect to charities. If Brad and Randy want to donate to ACS, they should just write them a check,

ACS has always been the darling of Second Life charities. You can choose to participate or ignore it.

42 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

People have been discussing things on the forum like where they got their furniture, relevant sales of decor items and other events. This has been allowed. So no, suddenly not allowing discussion of this charity event would not make sense under the rules. Most people understand the difference between discussing things that might interest residents on the forum or in groups and putting out vendors/kiosks on a Linden Home parcel.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

What?  Let me say first that I am not an ACS cheerleader.  Indeed, it is not on my personal list of charities to which I donate.  Others have much more personal significance to me.

Nearly all companies (both for-profit and nonprofit) have charitable partnerships with organizations that share their values.  LL's partnership with ACS goes very deep; it long preceded "Brad and Randy's" relationship with LL.  That said, LL does not exclude other charities from operating within SL - I've seen fundraising for the Alzheimer's Association, Parkinson's, the Kidney Foundation, and for many major climate disaster events.  Personally, I do not participate in such fundraising unless I personally know the person running it, or it uses a dedicated donation mechanism similar to ACS's kiosks.

Following up on Polenth's post, this contest deserves mention here not so much because it is one of the endless fundraising activities that ACS sponsors, but because so many of this forum's participants are interested, and proficient, in interior design.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 5

On 1/10/2023 at 10:27 PM, Nika Talaj said:

@Marianne Little , @Matthieu Quander , @Nando Yip, @Teresa Firelight, @Frigga Freidman ... oh heck, there's too many of you to mention.  Spread the word!

Thanks for the ego boost, Nika! If this were happening during the summer I'd be tempted to give it a go, but the next couple of months are tight timewise. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 2:25 AM, Chloe Bunny said:

The contests are an amazing opportunity - you feel like a million dollars just to be picked and then you freak out wondering what on earth to do but eventually you hit a stride.  I've done a few of them, (H&G Expo and Christmas etc), never won, but that hasn't mattered you feel like a winner if they accept you as a contestant -  good luck!

Wow, must be so much fun to participate in those contests if you did a few haha I am glad I took the step to sign up and hopefully I get the chance to experience this type of contests like you. I am absolutely not in it to winn either but just for the experience and the challenge and to raise donations of course. I am already having an idea of what I would be doing...going to create the room to see how big the space is and if it would actually be doable. Even if not picked I will be doing it I think.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Enola Dethly said:

Wow, must be so much fun to participate in those contests if you did a few haha 

The charity ones are more fun because it is work to raise money for that charity as an event and not come out on top, everyone has a healthy competition going on and not just a popularity contest. Anyway, I hope you get to experience it!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I suddenly wanted to send in an application! I looked back at some of your entries, and I could feel the desire grow in me.

But what the bleep should I do with 500 Li in a 12 x 12 room? It would be easier with a garden, I could stick all my flowers in every inch. But that is not allowed...

I mean, I could decorate a small room like that for 200 Li, and have 300 Li left, I have no idea about using them. Build brick walls, one and one brick?

Maybe kitchens need most Li, I could fill all the counters with food.

It feels overly much, very few people can fill a house with several hundred Li in every room, and most people want a house, not only a room.

• Like 2

It was tempting to enter this but I have been crazy busy, plus I get the impression it is intended more for people who are "professional" decorators.. e.g., those who people pay to decorate their homes and land. The entry form asks for flickr and web pages of their assorted designs.

I do look forward to seeing what people do in this contest, but I think I will sit this one out and the the people who are paid decorators demonstrate their abilities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.