Slink is closing.

Eddy Vortex

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's possible that they didn't sell any and maybe that could have had an impact on why they pulled out.. 

I said the same thing early on in the thread, that they may not have sold any of new bodies.  Since it was such as abrupt closure, it seems there may be more to the story.  But, the fact is, we could conjecturise until the cows come home here, same as in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread.  We don't know the whole story here and we don't know the whole story in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread either.  I also said, she may return, who knows. 

However, just to the general populace of SL, since I don't think anyone owns the newer bodies in this thread, how long should a creator offer redeliveries and what would SLINK users of the older bodies need redeliveries for now anyways?  I don't understand why they need a redelivery on older SLINK bodies.  I don't need any redeliveries of Lara for example.  

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I said the same thing early on in the thread, that they may not have sold any of new bodies.  Since it was such as abrupt closure, it seems there may be more to the story.  But, the fact is, we could conjecturise until the cows come home here, same as in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread.  We don't know the whole story here and we don't know the whole story in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread either.  I also said, she may return, who knows. 

However, just to the general populace of SL, since I don't think anyone owns the newer bodies in this thread, how long should a creator offer redeliveries and what would SLINK users of the older bodies need redeliveries for now anyways?  I don't understand why they need a redelivery on older SLINK bodies.  I don't need any redeliveries of Lara for example.  

I understand we don't know the  whole story, just as the OP from the other thread didn't when they decided to still go ahead and make one anyways.

I just think that there can be a number of reasons why someone would just pick up and leave a virtual world.. It doesn't take much for real life to make that happen in a snap.. It could have been having to eliminate things by importance, which Second life a lot of times is going to be at the bottom of the list when life hands us something  and gives us a reality check to show us what really is important.

My thing about them possibly not having any sales on the black friday sales was, Anyone that already has the body prior knows there isn't much out there for them content wise.. So not having any sold during a once in a lifetime sale, there wouldn't be anyone hurt  that didn't already know that.

Sure the bad turnout could have had an impact on them packing up and leaving, but so could life in general.. I can think to myself of many times I had to check off things by importance and eliminate them.. Sometimes those things you don't have much time to make the choice and other times you just have to get them out of the way because they are in the way.

Every bit of anyone saying what could have happened or why it might have happened in this thread is conjecture.

You might have been replying to someone when you said what you said, while i was replying to someone with what I said.. I don't know the context of why you said what you said because I never seen you say it.. I just know the context of why I said what i did.

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You may be right Ceka, although I was under the impression that the new bodies were also on sale. I'd have to do more digging around than I have time for to find out. I noted myself that I doubt if many were sold even if they were on sale. 

It doesn't really change my main point though. Whether they were purchased at full price before the sale, or at a discount during, they are now pricey bits of utterly useless junk littering people's inventory.

And although the situation is not as dire for those with the other bodies, the incredibly brief notice of the closing of the store will have impacted some who owned Hourglass and Physique, and who found out too late to update, etc. The fact that there will be no more of these sold means that the few creators still rigging for them will undoubtedly drop them too.

I'm not looking to assign blame here. I don't know the full circumstances of Siddeans' choice. But I can understand why people might be upset, regardless of the underlying cause for the sudden closure.

I wasn't really trying to change your point of view, just more or less trying to soften what might have happened during the Black Friday sales.. It being a good chance of not having much or any sales during that time.. There wouldn't be many or any that just bought it and getting hurt by just buying something that  is now cut off..  If someone had bought those newer bodies prior, they are already aware of the lack of content before the sales came about.

For all we know, They might possible have been cutting a deadline close and counting on those sales to be able to stay open. Economies are getting hard all over.

I can understand slink body users being upset as well.. Most of us have had similar things happen to us abruptly..

A lot of the times, the not knowing why can be the worst part on our end and lead to all kinds of wondering why.

Whatever the reasons, I Honestly don't think it was easy on anyone..Slink owners or owners of Slink..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Every bit of anyone saying what could have happened or why it might have happened in this thread is conjecture.

Yes, that's what I meant, it's the whole thread that is conjecture.  I only quoted one sentence of your post, the part about not selling any for the BF sale, I agree with that and said it earlier.

But, my whole post was not directed at you, just the one sentence I quoted.  But, anyhow, the whole thread is conjecture as is the IS THIS YELLOW FACE one, we don't know the whole story and, and, and, there is judging here in this thread without knowing the whole story, too.  Same as in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread - conjecture, judging without knowing the whole story.

Me, continuing on...not directed to Ceka....SLINK shared what info she was comfortable with sharing just prior to closure.  If people are complaining about this because they want a BOM update after years, that's a bit entitlement too.  When an update happens, get the updates.  Lesson learned.  BOM updates had been available for years, what else would someone need a redelivery for?  

Edited by EliseAnne85

I don't think this thread is worthless to discuss since there are some general business points.

1: Do not rest on your big name and reputation

2: Watch your competition

3: Be active when they threaten to take over your place in the market

As I see it, you must make sure your product stay relevant. I could not even see the Once-in-a-liftetime Slink sale mentioned in Seraphim. (Cinnamon & Chai was included in the sale) Anyway, that sale came several years too late. The "Stay at Home" campaign where many SL creators offered a gift or reduced their prices, would have been a good time to get new public interest. Announcing it wide around in blogs and Seraphimsl, that the price was reduced to ___ for three months or something like that.

Even that would be late. The lack of sales is not good when your competition runs them all the time, it hurts you. If you decide that you will never lower the price, and never participate in a sale, that might work if you are a real life luxury brand. But not in SL. The sure way to sell more bodies, is to have your bodies in constant use so third party creators make things for it. You will also sell the body between sales, when people see that it is a lot of clothes, piercings and other things made for it.

And maybe it should have been an update for the bodies, when the 100% BoM bodies became unpopular. Let it be both BoM and alpha cuts. It would give people who love the alpha cuts, to keep them, and have the onion layers as optional. Like Maitreya do it. I understand that Siddean wanted a true BoM body, but I think it was too early. Listen to the market. The true BoM body could be offered next to a hybrid, Maitreya style.

Not many SL customers want or need modify rights on bodies, but those who do, are very passionate about it. You win them over, and they tell everybody they know about "You said you wish it was more modify bodies? Now Slink is modify. I got mine last week".  Offering a modify version can not hurt?

Other creators should take note, it is lots of new bodies and the competition gets even harder.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Yes, that's what I meant, it's the whole thread that is conjecture.  I only quoted one sentence of your post, the part about not selling any for the BF sale, I agree with that and said it earlier.

But, my whole post was not directed at you, just the one sentence I quoted.  But, anyhow, the whole thread is conjecture as is the IS THIS YELLOW FACE one, we don't know the whole story and, and, and, there is judging here in this thread without knowing the whole story, too.  Same as in the IS THIS YELLOW FACE thread - conjecture, judging without knowing the whole story.

Me, continuing on...not directed to Ceka....SLINK shared what info she was comfortable with sharing just prior to closure.  If people are complaining about this because they want a BOM update after years, that's a bit entitlement too.  When an update happens, get the updates.  Lesson learned.  BOM updates had been available for years, what else would someone need a redelivery for?  

There is another word for that kind of thing when someone is being talked about and all kinds of assuming going on.. It's called Gossip.. We're all guilty of it on some level at times.. I catch myself  doing it as well and try to put the breaks on.. Social media is making a killing making gossip the norm and  mainstream rather than it being kept in those special little places like beauty salons and feed stores.. LOL

When a user pulls out like that all of a sudden, there is usually a good reason for it, even though there doesn't have to be.. Sometimes it's just that they had enough.. Whatever the reasons, at the end of the day, they are their reasons and not ours.. Spending a few dollars on their stuff doesn't get us a seat on the board pretty much.. hehehe

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is another word for that kind of thing when someone is being talked about and all kinds of assuming going on.. It's called Gossip.. 

I was thinking the same thing, the conjecture could start rumors.  She left her information that her grandmother and mother died and that she herself is dealing with chronic pain issues.  She didn't leave much more than that other than she was moving on from SL, if I even remember correctly.

As far as people needing redeliveries after years the BOM update was available, makes me think people may have also deleted items thinking that items they delete will be there for infinity.  SL creator's have no such clause for updates/redeliveries for the life of the product;  however, a company outside of SL did - Microsoft did for Windows 10.  But, Microsoft spelled that out, updates on Windows 10 for life.  They reneged.  SLINK had no such clause nor do any sellers in SL that I know of.  

When people make a new body some creators may jump in early and we would conjecturize as to why they jumped in too early there too.  Another lesson learned, as someone else said in one of these threads, wait until there is enough content before one jumps on a new shiny, whether creator or non-creator.  To me, it just appears that creators jumping in on creating for a new body were gambling it would take off.

Edited by EliseAnne85

On 1/12/2023 at 2:34 AM, EliseAnne85 said:

Huds sometimes break, if you crash whilst wearing them.(Incidentlaly the only hud I've ever had this happen with me is my Maitreya hud). This kind of break is permanent and can't be fixed. If you didn't keep a copy, you'll need a redelivery to get a new one.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:34 PM, EliseAnne85 said:

I could use a delivery for the newest version released as I came to see that the one I have is several behind. Slink apparently does/did not use an auto update or notification method to inform it's customers of such.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I could use a delivery for the newest version released as I came to see that the one I have is several behind. Slink apparently does/did not use an auto update or notification method to inform it's customers of such.

Then doesn't the fault lie with you for not visiting Slink to see if there was an update?  What about group chat, and group notifications?  If you wanted to know the latest, would it not be prudent to have those turned on?  It could also mean following the Slink Blog.  I bought wto bodies when I converted to mesh.  Slink and Maitreya, thinking I would wear both.  Wrong.  I became and still am a diehard Maitreya user, and my Slink just sat in my inventory until I relegated it to storage.  The only thing I used was the feet until Maitreya updated to five different foot looks.  Ever so often I would go to the Slink region and get a redelivery just in case. And if I am not mistaken I got a few update notifications from either the group chat or notices. The last being when Slink went with full BOM.  I keep coming back to this topic and am beginning to wonder if peeps are just beating a dead horse.  Slink is gone.  I so wish Siddean the best in whatever endeavor/path they may take.  LET IT GO! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Huds sometimes break, if you crash whilst wearing them.(Incidentlaly the only hud I've ever had this happen with me is my Maitreya hud). This kind of break is permanent and can't be fixed. If you didn't keep a copy, you'll need a redelivery to get a new one.

EDIT:  Sorry, read it wrong.  You should always keep a copy of your bodies.  It's all packed up into one item in your inventory.  

@Cougar Sangria, I agree.  It's gone.  May return we never know.  But, it is gone now..let it go.  It was hers and I see no reason for others to expect redeliveries for infinity on any SL item unless it's specifically spelled out.  I think it's beating a dead horse too.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

Just now, Dorientje Woller said:

If you need a redelivery of a store that no longer exists, and you might remember that they had a redelivery system, maybe check out the inworld Caspervend location. There you have a redelivery station where you might find an updated version of the item you have bought.

I have the Casper Redelivery Hud and did check if it was on there but no luck.

6 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

EDIT:  Sorry, read it wrong.  You should always keep a copy of your bodies.  It's all packed up into one item in your inventory.  

@Cougar Sangria, I agree.  It's gone.  May return we never know.  But, it is gone now..let it go.  It was hers and I see no reason for others to expect redeliveries for infinity on any SL item unless it's specifically spelled out.  I think it's beating a dead horse too.

Slink had a redelivery location, redirected from the former mainstore location, for several days after they announced the closure. They also announced that the alpha layers pack, which was what I was looking for, was also distributed there. This location had the alpha layers pack, some kind of free utility pack related to hands & feet (no idea what was in that), and a redelivery terminal for everything else. 

On 1/13/2023 at 11:35 AM, Cougar Sangria said:

Then doesn't the fault lie with you for not visiting Slink to see if there was an update?  What about group chat, and group notifications?  If you wanted to know the latest, would it not be prudent to have those turned on?  It could also mean following the Slink Blog.  I bought wto bodies when I converted to mesh.  Slink and Maitreya, thinking I would wear both.  Wrong.  I became and still am a diehard Maitreya user, and my Slink just sat in my inventory until I relegated it to storage.  The only thing I used was the feet until Maitreya updated to five different foot looks.  Ever so often I would go to the Slink region and get a redelivery just in case. And if I am not mistaken I got a few update notifications from either the group chat or notices. The last being when Slink went with full BOM.  I keep coming back to this topic and am beginning to wonder if peeps are just beating a dead horse.  Slink is gone.  I so wish Siddean the best in whatever endeavor/path they may take.  LET IT GO! 

Well I wasn't attempting to play a blame game but since you are, I'll just point out that I was simply wondering if an update/redelivery tool or kiosk was available. Unlike you, I still use my Hourglass body so an update might have had some upgrades that could have been worthwhile for me. Slink closing down as it did, (which is fine as I have already posted previously) does beg the question as to what is normal when Creators leaves the grid. Seems to me that continuing to offer updates/deliveries even if the body is no longer being developed or supported, wouldn't be a difficult thing, costing little if anything. Even if she herself is no longer healthy enough to do so, her husband was also a part of the Slink ownership and being he was the scripter, seems it should be well within his abilities to offer the redelivery/updates in a way with the least impact on them for a few months until the majority at least have the latest version.

Here is a link to what was the latest and the fixes that went into it though no actual update link. https://slinkstyle.com/body-parts-version-numbers-current/

On 1/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

Well, since you were aware of the closure as early as the rest of us, you should have gone and got a redelivery.  I bought my Slink years ago along with feet and hands.  Haven't used any of it recently.  Seeing this thread, I went the next day and got a redelivery of everything just in case I might want to mess with it some day.

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, since you were aware of the closure as early as the rest of us, you should have gone and got a redelivery.  I bought my Slink years ago along with feet and hands.  Haven't used any of it recently.  Seeing this thread, I went the next day and got a redelivery of everything just in case I might want to mess with it some day.

Well like you, I also stopped in there after the announcement but didn't happen to spot anything for redelivery. It wasn't an ideal setup for doing that. But in any case we would have been the minority of Slink owners who heard of it at all. Sure many only heard about it after it was closed.

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Here is a link to what was the latest and the fixes that went into it though no actual update link. https://slinkstyle.com/body-parts-version-numbers-current/

Ironically, that page has a link at the bottom that reads, "Visit a Redelivery Terminal in Second Life."

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

...in any case we would have been the minority of Slink owners who heard of it at all. Sure many only heard about it after it was closed.

Exactly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well I wasn't attempting to play a blame game but since you are, I'll just point out that I was simply wondering if an update/redelivery tool or kiosk was available. Unlike you, I still use my Hourglass body so an update might have had some upgrades that could have been worthwhile for me. Slink closing down as it did, (which is fine as I have already posted previously) does beg the question as to what is normal when Creators leaves the grid. Seems to me that continuing to offer updates/deliveries even if the body is no longer being developed or supported, wouldn't be a difficult thing, costing little if anything. Even if she herself is no longer healthy enough to do so, her husband was also a part of the Slink ownership and being he was the scripter, seems it should be well within his abilities to offer the redelivery/updates in a way with the least impact on them for a few months until the majority at least have the latest version.

Wasn't there something with the redelivery  for some people after they updated where some would not see their items on there and had to contact the seller?

I had gotten Slink so long ago and went to update it like at the beginning of the summer, maybe last winter.. When i checked the redeliver there wasn't anything of mine showing.. then seen something where, if you didn't see your items you had to contact them.

I was just like, I never really ever have worn it much other than to test it out back then, so I didn't bother contacting them and just kind of wrote it off.. I know i wasn't ever going to wear them so it wasn't something I was too concerned with..