Slink is closing.

Eddy Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder how long she was considering taking this step, it seems very sudden.

Even if she wanted to move on to this other thing she mentioned I'm kind of surprised she try to sell the business. Even for half its worth it would have been better than just shutting down.  

Sad to hear.  I love my Slink Physique body, as it looks like an actual person.  I hope it still works (I don't log in much anymore).  If it does, then I feel having a discontinued body makes my avi even more unique than it already is.  If it no longer works, then I still got a lot of years worth of use out of it.  Still the best body I ever owned/won't be buying a new one even if Slink doesn't work anymore -- I'll just go back to Classic.  I wish the creator all the best, sorry to hear about the RL issues.

I am going to ask you: What do you prefer, that the creator isn't open and honest, keeps their store open and for whatever reasons can't/won't provide any service/fixes/updates (And I know such stores) or being honest to the costumer and closes the store/services all at once and call it quits?

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I am going to ask you: What do you prefer, that the creator isn't open and honest, keeps their store open and for whatever reasons can't/won't provide any service/fixes/updates (And I know such stores) or being honest to the costumer and closes the store/services all at once and call it quits?

It seems some people are unhappy with either option!

On 1/2/2023 at 12:53 PM, Marianne Little said:

I am afraid Belleza will close too. Their latest bodies has not been the super success. I think what keep people away, is the high price. In todays oversaturated market of female bodies, you have to kill the competition and go for mass sale of a low priced product, not sell a few expensive ones. I always repeat myself with this example: Lelutka were way behind Catwa in popularity. Lelutka gave all previous buyers of the new heads a free update. Instead they could have said "Sorry, new UV, these are a new product, no redelivery". The EvoX UV would have been an obscurity and die. Like Slink Cinnamon & Chai did.

Yeah the price is crazy.  In such a saturated market too, I was curious and would have picked it up to see what I could do with it but not at that price. 

2500L would be my max, beyond that I'm not tempted.

• Like 2

I wouldn't write Belleza off just yet. Blueberry seems pretty steadfast in providing sizes for both Gen X bodies in new releases and sale items as far as I can tell and I'm seeing other creators rigging for them, too. A body becomes more attractive if you already have things for it, so I could see a comeback in the future, and apparently the latest update ticked a few of boxes (mod, PG option). Definitely not a very good launch, though, there's no denying that, but I'm keeping an eye on it in case I finally get too annoyed with my Legacy's issues and glitches.

If any body maker is on deathwatch I'd say it's Prima (nee Tonic). As a Tonic owner I had the option of getting it cheap, and... I just didn't, even though I definitely wanted to replace my Tonic body. Jumped ship to Legacy in the Halloween sale and let the Prima deal expire. It's a shame, too, it is a nice body, but there's almost nothing for it. I did see that Arti's rigged a recent release for it, so maybe it will pick up but I seriously doubt it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Rent a tiny part of land. Maybe a friend could sponsor it. Make the bodies modify, put them in a redelivery terminal with a big sign: "Due to (reason), I have left SL and do not provide any more updates and service, but here are a modify version you can use."

This way the bodies would live on as modify, and residents could tinker with them, write new scripts if they stopped working, and so on.

It took only a week after Belleza was modify, and someone made this to optimize the body:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Belleza-Auto-Optimizer/22630871

You may say: "Slink has the BoM version without layers, no need for this."

But that version has no alpha cuts, I would prefer a version that is BoM, without layers, but with alpha cuts. I am sure a script that cleaned off the layers would be made.

Edited by Marianne Little
added last sentences
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

But that version has no alpha cuts, I would prefer a version that is BoM, without layers, but with alpha cuts. I am sure a script that cleaned off the layers would be made.

This might be helpful then: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Unofficial-Slink-BoM-Applier-HUD-By-Sensations/20017203

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Rent a tiny part of land. Maybe a friend could sponsor it. Make the bodies modify, put them in a redelivery terminal with a big sign: "Due to (reason), I have left SL and do not provide any more updates and service, but here are a modify version you can use."

This way the bodies would live on as modify, and residents could tinker with them, write new scripts if they stopped working, and so on.

It took only a week after Belleza was modify, and someone made this to optimize the body:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Belleza-Auto-Optimizer/22630871

You may say: "Slink has the BoM version without layers, no need for this."

There is an easier way to deal with it ... simply accept her wishes and reasoning behind the closure. It was her call, not yours or anyone elses. It's sad that RL had forced her to do it and to move on. Maybe we all should move on too? Are you in RL also this demanding, when your local butcher decide to call it quits, to force one of his friends to continue the business? Get real, find yourself another butcher, bad luck and deal with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

There is an easier way to deal with it ... simply accept her wishes and reasoning behind the closure. It was her call, not yours or anyone elses. It's sad that RL had forced her to do it and to move on. Maybe we all should move on too? Are you in RL also this demanding, when your local butcher decide to call it quits, to force one of his friends to continue the business? Get real, find yourself another butcher, bad luck and deal with it.

Yes, but you asked what I would prefer. I thought a third option was best. If I am locked to your two options, I would say a clean cut is best, instead of selling bodies with no service.

An example of a creator who offered little service, could be Belleza. They had years without updates. I remember all the forum posts. Belleza didn't update to Bento, Jake had the splayed fingers, then the ugly neck seam and they did not update to universal neck...

It was many disappointed customers who felt like Belleza gave them no service, no fixes, no updates during the years. Or the fixes/updates was so late that it was unacceptable. I dropped Belleza as soon as Maitreya was released. Maitreya has updated fast for Bento and BoM.

On the other side, Belleza has just sent out an update for their new bodies, so now they do good. Other store that had notorious bad customer service was TMP, and they are back as Meshbody and doing well. Old sins are easy forgotten.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, Maitimo said:

Slink had a redelivery location, redirected from the former mainstore location, for several days after they announced the closure. They also announced that the alpha layers pack, which was what I was looking for, was also distributed there. This location had the alpha layers pack, some kind of free utility pack related to hands & feet (no idea what was in that), and a redelivery terminal for everything else. 

Wish I'd heard about the closure soon enough to do that.  Missed it by four days, apparently.  I wanted the alpha layers pack too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elphaba Broome said:

I'm a little late to this party.  I only just found out about Slink when I discovered today that my slink utility HUD won't attach even though it's still in my inventory.  Can't show my nails or adjust my feet.  

One of my alts has a slink body so I just tested this and it works fine, so this is unrelated to Slink closing down and is a problem with yours alone. Or with the region you're in. Try re-logging. If that doesn't help, try visiting a different place and try to reattach the hud there.

Otherwise... just wait. Second Life sometimes has issues with the asset servers, and there isn't anything an end-user can do about it except wait for the fault to resolve itself, maybe with next week's region restarts. But Sometimes the item is lost for ever and it never resolves (I've had this happen with shapes before). If it's still not working after a couple of weeks and you didn't keep the original box in which the body was sold, and you haven't previously made a copy, in that case you will need to start shopping for a new body.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 10:01 PM, Elphaba Broome said:

I'm a little late to this party.  I only just found out about Slink when I discovered today that my slink utility HUD won't attach even though it's still in my inventory.  Can't show my nails or adjust my feet.  

Huds sometimes "break" especially if you wear them while teleporting. I have it happen most frequently with the Maitreya hud, I've lost count of the number of times I've needed to unpack a new one. So it's not necessarily an asset-server issue. Just need to remember to detach all your huds before teleport.

Unfortunately, once it's broken there is no fix, except as Lewis suggested, unpack from your stored original purchase box, if you still have it. Redelivery is no longer an option for Slink bodies.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Huds sometimes "break" especially if you wear them while teleporting. I have it happen most frequently with the Maitreya hud, I've lost count of the number of times I've needed to unpack a new one. So it's not necessarily an asset-server issue. Just need to remember to detach all your huds before teleport.

Unfortunately, once it's broken there is no fix, except as Lewis suggested, unpack from your stored original purchase box, if you still have it. Redelivery is no longer an option for Slink bodies.

I have a bad habit of breaking my texture organizer this way. I'll be good for months on end, then accidentally tp with it on and ☠️😣💩

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sanguine Silverfall said:

Sorry for the bump but how do we get body now?

It's still possible to get Slink compatible feet from Similar on the marketplace, if anyone didn't get the chance to buy the official feet, the version I own are good but don't work with appliers/BoM for skin matching. so unless someone comes up with a Slink compatible body your out of luck

I've recreated the Slink Extra Alphas from the textures (what a pain, lol). You can grab it free here, or chat me up in world for a copy:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Slink-Free-Extra-Alphas-works-with-any-avatar/24509691

@LibGwen it will save you some work if you haven't done it yet ;)

I've made the pack no-trans just to stop unscrupulous types from reselling it for money.

Edited by Rick Daylight
spalling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.